Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

From the little i've seen of Cash. 

Cash is better at attacking and Guilbert is better at defending. The type of coach Smith is he will always prefer the former.

Targett and Cash will make us more exciting going forward, but man.. it could be a frustrating season defensively.

You mean like the utter spanking we got down targetts channel by most teams until told to sit deep post lockdown? 🤣

Agreed with Guilbert being a better defender, has decent pace and can whip in a cross. Not like Elmo but his legs go jelly to quick now.

Given that Elmo will probably hang up the boots next year, that means Guilbert if not challenging this year which he probably will, will be our main backup in a year.

Watching the Burton game today (although only like 30 minutes of it) just showed me how much we need a left back and why we signed cash. **** hell every time the ball went down the flanks I nearly shit myself. There was a bit at around 30-35 minutes in where Taylor got dusted to a loose ball and their winger put in a ball that went long. And before elmo reacted their other winger was free in the box to win the header back across. Luckily hause won the ball and they gave away a silly free kick on el ghazi but against a prem team with actually good players an attacking midfielder or their striker could nip in front and get a clean shot off.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

How much should we read into him not playing tonight ?

I imagine the plan was to bring him on after 60 mins but we were drawing with Burton so had to make more attacking changes. Still think it’ll be Cash and Guilbert in the squad for Sheff United.

I hate that Elmo sometimes gets the 'experience' excuse when talking about right back options. He is clearly getting slower and it's actually frustrating to watch him act as if he is playing the ball fast but ends up getting nowhere. Guilbert should be given a fair crack imo. People seem to forget Elmo's poor performances a lot faster than Guilbert's, and I genuinely think it's because Elmo is boring and 'experienced' and Guilbert is spiky and more aggressive.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Strange one as he seemed bought into it here and he put that message out about being happy only a few weeks ago 

Where is that message now? Can't see it on Instagram or twitter?

Mad decision. Think he had potential to be brilliant. If the only reason he's on his way out is because they got Cash i do question why we thought that purchase was necessary over a centre back or a central midfielder (assuming we dont get them in later in the window).  Its not like Cash was a once in a generation talent at a bargain price...

Bizarre piece of business for me. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

He’s a good tackler.

aside from that he offers nothing.  Going forward, nothing.  Positionally poor, pushed off the ball far too easily.

His tackling stats look great, but you have to question why he needs to be making so many?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Strange one as he seemed bought into it here and he put that message out about being happy only a few weeks ago 

Unfortunately it's whether the coaching staff are happy with him that counts...

2 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Someone text me tonight telling me he's gone??

Not sure what to make of that.

Based on his total omission from the matchday squad I assume its correct.  No reason unless he has an injury we weren't told about.

Sad to lose him but at least Cash looked decent, although yet to see him pressured defensviely so cant really review that side of him after a match like tonight's.

Feel he's been harshly treated if we're moving him on largely against his will, but sure he'll do just fine out of it financially and go on to achieve decent things in his career.

8 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Someone text me tonight telling me he's gone??

Not sure what to make of that.

I wouldn't believe it.

Think his next move will be quite a hefty step downwards - so he might want to exhaust all options at villa before returning to the footballing back waters.

Â