Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. There are a handful of people who've dragged this club from the Championship to competing for a Champions League spot. They are Christian Purslow, Dean Smith, Jack Grealish, John McGinn, and Tyrone Mings.

Yes Mings makes mistakes, but the way people talk on here you'd think we had the leakiest defence in the league. We actually have one of the best defences in the league. 18 goals conceded in 17 games. He can't be that bad.

Not just defensively. His ball-playing out of defence is critical in starting a lot of pressing counters and attacking play. Similarly, now, we have that in Emi's distribution. His strong personality and drive is infectious. Does he make mistakes? Of course, everyone does. Given how toxic social media can be, I admire him for owning his errors and defending El Ghazi from such abuse.

We win as a team. We lose as a team. No one person escapes critique, and where warranted, it will continue. The vitroil is uncessary.

• Like 4

His leadership on and off the pitch - be it Black Lives Matter, reaching out to fans, and being vocal about his own performances to me, shows his leadership, his commitment. You don't have to agree with him. His conviction is captivating. He's someone that I'd want in any dressing room. He's incredibly humble and from humble beginnings.

Some of his blocking this season has been excellent. He's willing and ready to throw himself at it.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

His leadership on and off the pitch - be it Black Lives Matter, reaching out to fans, and being vocal about his own performances to me, shows his leadership, his commitment. You don't have to agree with him. His conviction is captivating. He's someone that I'd want in any dressing room. He's incredibly humble and from humble beginnings.

Some of his blocking this season has been excellent. He's willing and ready to throw himself at it.

Here's the thing... the BLM stuff obviously will have rankled a section of our fanbase. Without getting into my own personal opinions on the events of this summer, I can understand why his explicit involvement might make some feel disenfranchised from him. However, regardless of where you might be at on a personal level, it demonstrates his own leadership qualities.

If you're the type that thinks politics has no place in football, well ok then. Don't allow it to cloud your judgement and instead focus on the strength of character he has shown in standing up for what he believes in. 

Tyrone says what he thinks and he says it with a maturity and conviction which belies his years. He is as honest and he is as genuine as the day is long. Those are rare commodities in the 21st century, and that can only stand Villa in good stead. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Indigo said:

Anyone who tries to claim there's no agenda against him needs to give their head a wobble and read some of the absolute shite that gets posted in this thread.

He was brilliant tonight and everything he's being criticised for tonight were things Konsa* was even more guilty of.

* Who incidentally was also great. Sometimes players give the ball away and that's when their teammates help them out. Cop on.

I tried to say it previously and was shot down. There is clearly a small group, for whatever reason, who have decided they don't like Tyrone Mings. 

Edited by DCJonah

13 hours ago, Villarocker said:

I love him, I really do. I mean, the guy will be a prime candidate for Alzheimers (please God don't let it happen) when he's older due to the amount of headed clearances he makes

Don't worry about that. That hairstyle is there to cushion the blows!

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

I do wonder if that has distracted him. He looks tense all the time - and not quite as assured when barking his orders out.

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I've said it before, but it bears repeating. There are a handful of people who've dragged this club from the Championship to competing for a Champions League spot. They are Christian Purslow, Dean Smith, Jack Grealish, John McGinn, and Tyrone Mings.

Yes Mings makes mistakes, but the way people talk on here you'd think we had the leakiest defence in the league. We actually have one of the best defences in the league. 18 goals conceded in 17 games. He can't be that bad.

But he makes a mistake every game...

One thing I remember from watching Paul McGrath play was that if he had the ball, attackers often just gave up, a kind of "there's no point spending the effort to close him down, he's too good" kind of thing. Allan Evans was the same at times. 

Now with Tyrone, it's a bit the opposite. He is decent on the ball, but attackers know they will have a chance of nicking the ball, because sometimes he does try and play his way out of situations where he could pass it earlier, or knock it into touch. So because forwards know this they press him all the time. Mostly he wins out, but from time to time he will give the ball away by being caught on it. This (I suspect) is at least part of what leads those who are critical of him to do their criticising. And they've got more than a point in that regard.

The flip side is that his composure on the ball frequently supports or allows the way we play - a passing, progressive game. You want him to keep playing in that style, but cut out the (forced) errors by being smarter about when he plays more simply.

He's already a very good defender, but the one thing he needs to do is make better choices around when not to (over) play. With JT there on the coaching I'm certain they will be working on this decision making. It'll take him from very good to excellent, proper international class.

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Here's the thing... the BLM stuff obviously will have rankled a section of our fanbase. Without getting into my own personal opinions on the events of this summer, I can understand why his explicit involvement might make some feel disenfranchised from him. However, regardless of where you might be at on a personal level, it demonstrates his own leadership qualities.

If you're the type that thinks politics has no place in football, well ok then. Don't allow it to cloud your judgement and instead focus on the strength of character he has shown in standing up for what he believes in. 

Tyrone says what he thinks and he says it with a maturity and conviction which belies his years. He is as honest and he is as genuine as the day is long. Those are rare commodities in the 21st century, and that can only stand Villa in good stead. 

I genuinely cannot. And I'd suggest that the problem doesn't lie with Ty but those guys. Everything he has said on topic is nuanced and thoughtful... The Humphries podcast recently a great example.

• Like 1

The only thing I find objectionable about Mings is the half kilo of chewing gum he works on during a match. Can't help looking at it and thinking it's a matter of time until he chokes on it.

I feel similarly about Smith. My only consistent annoyance is him chewing gum with his mouth open and never covering his mouth when he coughs (which is quite often).

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sam-AVFC said:

The only thing I find objectionable about Mings is the half kilo of chewing gum he works on during a match. Can't help looking at it and thinking it's a matter of time until he chokes on it.

I feel similarly about Smith. My only consistent annoyance is him chewing gum with his mouth open and never covering his mouth when he coughs (which is quite often).

I'm fascinated by the chewing gum thing. I think Watkins and (maybe) Cash both chew gum as well? It's always the same blue gum. Is it a bit like at school where everyone copies the alpha male? We need answers!

As for agendas against Mings that others have mentioned - there is 100% an agenda against him in some quarters. People don't like footballers being articulate spokespeople on issues that are important to them.

Having said that, I think he also gets criticism for pure footballing reasons - he's a big lad and can look a bit clumsy at times, and that confidence on the ball can make you panic. He does also play a lot of long balls, which some people see as a sign of a crap player, although I think he's been told to do that - Watkins has had a lot of joy challenging for them and knocking down to our attacking 3.

Konsa is a much more elegant player on the ball, and has that extra yard of pace to deal with runners, so I think that's why he gets an easier ride.

As for non-Villa fans, a lot of them remember the "stamps" and see him as a bit of a headcase and a loose cannon. Plus any club that has an English centre back thinks their CB should be in the England squad ahead of Mings.

So I think it's a mix of racists who just don't like a confident black man, panicky Villa fans whose blood pressure takes a hammering whenever Mings is on the ball, and bitter fans of bitter clubs like Leeds.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AVTuco said:

But he makes a mistake every game...

I don't think KDB or Grealish Messi or Ronaldo have ever had 100% successful pass rate. So they must make mistakes every game. 

Only spuds and citeh have conceded fewer than us, so I guess all the others are making mistakes every game.

I think it's all about perspective. Does he make mistakes, yes. Does he make fewer than the vast majority, yes.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I'm fascinated by the chewing gum thing. I think Watkins and (maybe) Cash both chew gum as well? It's always the same blue gum. Is it a bit like at school where everyone copies the alpha male? We need answers!

It isn't chewing gum or not least in the normal sense, it is caffeine energy gum. It gives 50mg of energy and is fast working as is absorbed through the gums. Jamie Vardy drinks three red bulls before games as part of his preparation again because of the caffeine.

Caffeine is widely used by players in the PL in various different ways prior to and during matches.

There you go.

• Thanks 4

Â