Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He wasn't dawdling he was trying to shield the ball... 

He did well to win the ball, did well not to concede a foul, then had the choice of shield it out or boot it out

He was unlucky in a desperate attempt from the Burnley player bouncing off him

And that's before you then look at the role of a few other players from the resulting corner 

All fair points. Just annoys me that he’s putting the ball into touch when necessary for most of the game but the time he holds onto the ball for too long (which you must admit he is guilty of quite a bit) we concede a corner to a team of anti footballers who love to score from them. 

Thing is, we win that 1-2 and I wouldn’t even be saying any of this as it wouldn’t matter 😂 I’m just ticked off! 

6 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Seen some on twitter blaming him for not cutting out the second 

He's marking the man. He's supposed to cover the back post as well.  Also, for the third goal are we really suggesting Mings is supposed to let a free runner ghost towards the goal. 

Great cross and an even better header by Wood. Sometimes it happens.  As other have mentioned Konsa is in no man's land. Poor all around on the defense but you can't pin this on any one player. 

You swear people just look for the closes defender to the goal scorer and blame that person unless Mings is on the pitch then 100% Mings 😂

Most goals conceded are a team effort, a litany of little errors all in a row. Goals 1 and 3 are clear examples of that. 

SmartSelect_20210127-162528_Relay Pro.jpg

• Like 1

My only question is....when these big players like Vestergaard....Soucek.....Woods.....Mee,  just nonchalantly head the ball in.....He is nowhere to be seen.

is it a coincidence or more sinister?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

My only question is....when these big players like Vestergaard....Soucek.....Woods.....Mee,  just nonchalantly head the ball in.....He is nowhere to be seen.

Not really a coincidence, three of those goals have come from set pieces and haven't come from the zone he was marking.

I agree that he should've been marking wood though. 

3 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

He's marking the man. He's supposed to cover the back post as well.  Also, for the third goal are we really suggesting Mings is supposed to let a free runner ghost towards the goal. 

Great cross and an even better header by Wood. Sometimes it happens.  As other have mentioned Konsa is in no man's land. Poor all around on the defense but you can't pin this on any one player. 

You swear people just look for the closes defender to the goal scorer and blame that person unless Mings is on the pitch then 100% Mings 😂

Most goals conceded are a team effort, a litany of little errors all in a row. Goals 1 and 3 are clear examples of that. 

SmartSelect_20210127-162528_Relay Pro.jpg

I get that, it is many things, but we allow too many crosses to come in too.....who is traore marking?   if you allow too many crosses to come in it will become a lottery......we don't close down enough.....especially teams who have the nous in the air.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

It's Smith's brilliant zonal marking masteridea. Mings and Konsa marking no-one in corners. 

Luiz and Barkley allow both centre backs to have free runs at the ball from a corner but fortunately for them it was Mings that the ball went out off for the corner as opposed to literally any other player on the pitch who wouldn't have been attributed the blame for the first goal.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

I don’t usually criticise any of them mate but I do think he’s had a hand in quite a number of the goals we’ve shifted this year 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

conceding the corner that a goal gets scored from is scraping the barrell of 'having a hand in goals conceded'

teams concede corners. numerous per game. they happen.

and defenders/keepers will generally have a hand in a goal that gets conceded. most goals over the season will, in varying levels, be attributed to bad defending/goalkeeping. it goes with the territory. so whilst you're technically not wrong, i'd wager that konsa/cash/targett/mings are almost certainly fairly equal in terms of goal conceded responsibility

mings is under the microscope at the moment. why? i have no idea whatsoever. but everything he does now just seems to be overanalysed when it wasn't before Xmas.

• Like 3

i'm genuinely curious to know what's happened. from the relentless 'announce mings' stuff to criticising him at every opportunity. it seems to have gotten worse since he bit back at fans following the abuse of el ghazi. wondering if that has something to do with it?

1 minute ago, tomav84 said:

i'm genuinely curious to know what's happened. from the relentless 'announce mings' stuff to criticising him at every opportunity. it seems to have gotten worse since he bit back at fans following the abuse of el ghazi. wondering if that has something to do with it?

If its the second point then those who are criticizing him ought to be ashamed. 

Fans deserve criticism too where its due, we're having a great season and if your rounding on a bloke because he stood up for a teammate then grow up. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

If its the second point then those who are criticizing him ought to be ashamed. 

Fans deserve criticism too where its due, we're having a great season and if your rounding on a bloke because he stood up for a teammate then grow up. 

i just can't think of another explanation. we've seen when bruce bit back how fans react. they feel like it should be one direcional. it's definitely gotten worse since that tweet he put out

17 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Oh no, not at all. I have maintained for a while now I think he’s overrated and error prone. I don’t use social media and rarely criticise players on here because it’s literally just us banging our heads together with some defending and others criticising. Difference of opinion but I just don’t think he’s what other believes he cracked up to be. You have made some very valid points though. Like I said earlier, we come away with something today and I’m singing praises in the post match thread but here we are 😂

31 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Well I can't speak for everyone, I just find the incessant defending people do of him absurd. I think he quite clearly **** up and costs us at times yet to see people defend and excuse his mistakes time and time again is annoying. 

I do agree that it feels like the fan backlash has gotten worse this season. Personally, I think he's been about the same as last season, perhaps slightly better this season. If I had to guess, perhaps its due to the fact that the rest of the team has progressed so much since last season yet Mings is still making the same silly mistakes he was last season that its standing out a lot more.

When people went on and on about how he was clearly the best defender at the club last season, at least it was somewhat justifiable considering the form of the other defenders around him. This season, Konsa, Hause and Targett have all improved considerably whilst Cash has been great. Yet Mings is still around the same as he was last season so he gets more flack for his mistakes that he would've been more easily excused for considering our other defensive options last srason.

Like, now I think about it I think he really was worse last season. There was a stretch of games where pretty much every goal we were conceding were directly from his mistakes, and they were much more clearly his mistakes than this stretch. Yet the backlash was not as intense.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Â