Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I remain fairly confident that the thing Mings is regularly criticised for, the only thing in fact, is something that he is being specifically asked to do. That is namely to break the first line of the opposition press. In some cases this is seen as 'fannying around', and with good reason, but if it is something he is being encouraged to undertake then I find it difficult to fault him for it. I suppose I have learned to accept the occasional bollock dropped as part of the overall methodology. 

Can/will he improve his decision making at times? When to fanny and when not to? I hope so. He might be 27, but he has only played in the region of 70 games at centre half. 7 of them for England. 

I have no issue with him doing it. It may lead to some hairy situations, but the benefits far outweigh that. It's the foundation of our lovely play of late. 

We remember the ****-ups, but not the superb play that gets us moving into attack quickly. Don't see many CBs with his technical ability. There are CBs that have great range of passing and switch the play etc, but rarely do I see one that has Ty's first touch and ability to come out of defence and play quick balls into feet. It's invaluable, and if Southgate has any sense he'd utilize him in that way for England too.

• Like 1

I do think that Mings takes a lot of criticism for his off the pitch activities as well. When he went to the BLM protest or had the incident when he got abused in Bulgaria he was getting criticized for using it to boost his profile

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I do think that Mings takes a lot of criticism for his off the pitch activities as well. When he went to the BLM protest or had the incident when he got abused in Bulgaria he was getting criticized for using it to boost his profile

Some people love a bad faith take. Jung might have called it their shadow. Maybe. I don't actually know. I read a book about it once.

• Haha 1

My only issue with Tyrone is nothing to do with his off-the-field activities (fully happy for him to lend vocal support to BLM and attend protests etc etc).

Nor is it anything to with d_d_i_d's post about him being instructed to break the first line of the opposition's press.

It's his tendency to lose concentration when it really counts, which is why I find him playing the self-appointed alpha/leader (without really actually leading anyone into anything) a bit tiresome.

True leaders don't go day-dreaming as often as Ty does, because they can't afford to. It's no use clapping his hands and trying to spur the team on if he's going to be the one to invite the pressure by standing 3 or 4 yards off his man, or being the only one in the wall to forget to jump, time and again. He might feel like he's 8 feet tall, but sadly he is not.

To clarify, I like him. I think he has improved us and I don't think I would go as far as to advocate buying a replacement, but I do think he needs serious competition nipping at his heels; the sooner the better.

He's far too comfortable knowing he's undroppable, and it shows.

Edited by est1874

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Some people love a bad faith take. Jung might have called it their shadow. Maybe. I don't actually know. I read a book about it once.

I agree with these but I would add the caveat that the **** shitty media has contributed largely to this subconscious negative perception that a lot of people appear to have of him.

He's often questioned on non-football-specific topics and often gives erudite, measured, sensible answers and yet the meeja cherry pick and misquote him, especially for their headlines, to wilfully misconstrue his point and fuel their own narrative.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

But when I read stuff like he needs to be replaced, he isn’t good enough, Konsa is much better etc i feel like this. 

Might come as a shock to you but there are many defenders much better than Mings.

That Fofana kid at Leicester already look a better player than Mings from what i've seen from him.

If we are gonna push on we can't afford to have centre halves doing often costly or at best very dangerous mistakes every game.

Edited by villalad21

33 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Might come as a shock to you but there are many defenders much better than Mings.

That Fofana kid at Leicester already look a better player than Mings from what i've seen from him.

If we are gonna push on we can't afford to have centre halves doing often costly or at best very dangerous mistakes every game.

"mistakes" always focus on the "mistakes" - how many goals this season can be pinpointed as a mistake by mings?

dont focus on the stats for goals conceded before the restart and since the restart because that would suggest a huge improvement, dont look at the stats regarding our clean sheets away from home last compared to this season because that would suggest a huge improvement

and if you do stumble across the stats that back up the idea that our defence is a lot better than last year definitely make sure that you think its because of martinez, cash, konsa and targett all being better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Well he isn’t. He was all over the place against both Liverpool and Fulham. 

You don’t rate Mings. That’s fine. I personally think he’s a top defender. 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I actually think most of Mings mistakes are errors with the ball, defensively without the ball he is as solid as anybody in the league

I find it the other way round, to be honest.  With the ball, he makes very visible mistakes (blocked passes etc) and sometimes they deal to the opposition getting through on goal.  However, it's actually his positioning and switching off that is a bigger concern.  Look at the goal Welbeck scored for Brighton, as an example.  Or even the chance that Silva had for Wolves where he hit the post - more of a harsh criticism there, but Mings isn't aware enough to cut out that pass (which he arguably should have done).  He's also often deeper than the rest of the defensive line (must be coached, possibly due to pace?) which results in a lot of teams pushing attacking players forward and them being onside.

He's a good defender, but not great.  However, he really seems to be a good communicator and sort of... gel within the squad.  That sort of stuff is pretty invaluable.

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

With Mings the good far outweighs the bad. Simply as that. He's good for the team and where we are at the moment we arent going to better him. Its all very well saying there are better defenders but they either aren't available, would be be a gamble or would cost an insane amount of money. We have Mings, an England player. We should count ourselves fortunate. 

Edited by birdman

15 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I remain fairly confident that the thing Mings is regularly criticised for, the only thing in fact, is something that he is being specifically asked to do. That is namely to break the first line of the opposition press. In some cases this is seen as 'fannying around', and with good reason, but if it is something he is being encouraged to undertake then I find it difficult to fault him for it. I suppose I have learned to accept the occasional bollock dropped as part of the overall methodology. 

Can/will he improve his decision making at times? When to fanny and when not to? I hope so. He might be 27, but he has only played in the region of 70 games at centre half. 7 of them for England. 

Nah I like when he bursts forward and highly doubt thats the issue most have.

Its when he is either the last defender or has nowere to go in a dangerous situation and decides to unnecessarily Cruyff turn or dither instead of just clearing or passing out, which I have a problem with.

Unwarranted danger and catastrophe which it has actually caused in the past.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said: 

Like most men he fannys when he can 

16 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Not saying this applies to you, but fans who know nothing (0%) about football tend to fixate on individual mistakes on the ball because they're easy to see

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â