Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Just has to be on the list to be replaced. He’s done great to get us to where we need to be but if we want to push on he should be a squad player. We could really do without a starting player who has at least one clanger every game and yet thinks he’s peak Rio Ferdinand. 

Leader of a backline that has allowed the 4th fewest goals in the league. Every defender has a mistake in them. That's why you defend as a team. Are we expecting him to be faultless?  

10 games into his second season as a Prem CB. We get rid now and his new team will be laughing the same we were at Bournemouth. 

• Like 1

I thought he had a good game. If anyone reads   The Athletic, there’s a really positive article about him today, mainly around his leadership on the pitch and how he contributes to the overall organisation of the team during matches. 

I think people forget how much we missed him when he was out injured at the end of last year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zatman said:

The criticism is OTT as usual, he had one mistake but except that he was fine. Made some brave blocks

To play our style I expect mistakes from our defenders but Mings gets a bit too criticism from people

I thought he was good today. His slide tackle after Martinez spilled it saved us conceding a goal. 

Shame he only gets remembered for one mistake where he got disposed by the half way line. 

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

Leader of a backline that has allowed the 4th fewest goals in the league. Every defender has a mistake in them. That's why you defend as a team. Are we expecting him to be faultless?  

10 games into his second season as a Prem CB. We get rid now and his new team will be laughing the same we were at Bournemouth. 

I think it’s complete madness fans are even suggesting we are in a position to think about replacing him.   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kingman said:

28 in March. He's not going to get any better! 

Could easily be the sort of player who peaks a few years later - say 30 - considering he didn’t start playing centre back regularly until he was 25/26

Not physically but tactically he’ll only get better. Which is of course a huge part of his position

Edited by myko
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I thought he was good today. His slide tackle after Martinez spilled it saved us conceding a goal. 

I couldn't work out if it was him or konsa

And then you throw in martinez was up and ready to go again so between the 3 of them the hunger to stop the goal was brilliant, previous villa teams have conceded there

• Like 1

I actually thought it was between Mings and Martinez for motm yesterday.. surprised by the negative comments, but guess that is just the villa fan base way. There is always a scapegoat.

What Mings has done and is still doing for us is immense, think people's expectations of him has just exceeded reality

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

I actually thought it was between Mings and Martinez for motm yesterday.. surprised by the negative comments, but guess that is just the villa fan base way. There is always a scapegoat.

What Mings has done and is still doing for us is immense, think people's expectations of him has just exceeded reality

For me it was between Martinez and Targett, but I thought Mings made some important challenges and did well, by and large. He's a good defender and an important part of the team's spine.

• Like 1

He was excellent yesterday. Except for the Silva chance he couldn't move his feet quick enough a bit like Salah's second goal. But he was excellent. When you don't notice a centre back he's done well. His finish was pretty tidy too.

51 minutes ago, Greenfly said:

Say what you want about him as a player; he isn't perfect, there are better defenders, whatever. But there's no arguing he's a true leader. He looks out for the other players in the team and is never afraid of saying what needs to be said.

He definitely has an overall positive effect on the entire squad in terms of morale and performances, and that makes him almost as invaluable as Jack right now. Will we have better defenders in the future? Surely. But can we be as sure they'll have the same personality? Both are just as important.

Tend to agree, though I remember Ty and AEG having a clash of heads about a year ago at home to Wet Spam, Ty wasn't happy that AEG hadn't tracked back and told him in no uncertain words how he felt. So there is a bit of hypocrisy there, though that was understandably in the heat of the moment. 

I feel the problem with social media is eejits of every fanbase (not just ours) can easily come out and berate the players. It happened with Delph at Everton last year when a fan gave him a load of stick over Instagram and they traded some insults back and forth. Arsenal Fan TV is notorious for the players getting stick, Bellerin got loads of abuse after his performance at Spurs. So we're by no means the only fans who do it and Ty needs to understand that. Constructive criticism is ok, even suggesting someone is not good enough is ok, personal insults are not. 

I reproach all those that did insult AEG as it was completely undeserved. The guy actually did well at times last season and at other times not so well, some accused him of being a coward which was ridiculous, he's probably not good enough to be a regular for us but is still a valuable part of the squad and for me should still be playing a part. He did well in the cup games this year but got absolutely no credit, while the likes of Ramsey, Traore and Davis got praised. I wish our fans would stop having a scapegoat, AEG isn't a bad guy, in fact he's one of the nicest guys at the club and tries his best, he needs to be left alone and allowed to try and play his football when given the opportunity.

Hopefully he feels like he can reactivate his Twitter account now and I hope the fans will support like they do he other players at the club.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

I do agree with Mings here but he is beginning to come across as a highly self-righteous person on and off the pitch. It goes without saying that the abuse of El Ghazi - as with any of our players really - was terrible.

Fully behind him for supporting BLM, but decided to go to a protest and actively encourage others to do so in the middle of a pandemic. Not sure about that mate. His on-field behaviour is also very self-important. Like he really needs to take those extra touches and make that Hollywood pass because he is Tyrone Mings, England International. Maguire does the same actually. Please pass the ball to any of your team mates who are better than you on the ball, thanks.

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Sad 1

Â