Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Greenfly said:

Say what you want about him as a player; he isn't perfect, there are better defenders, whatever. But there's no arguing he's a true leader. He looks out for the other players in the team and is never afraid of saying what needs to be said.

He definitely has an overall positive effect on the entire squad in terms of morale and performances, and that makes him almost as invaluable as Jack right now. Will we have better defenders in the future? Surely. But can we be as sure they'll have the same personality? Both are just as important.

I love this man ❤️

8 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Couldn't disagree more. When a teammate isn't performing, you need leaders on the pitch who make them up their game and make it clear it's not acceptable. There is a world of difference between that and the kind of disgusting abuse that cowards on the internet send to celebrities because they feel safe behind a keyboard.

I support Mings both for his reaction in that game and his post today.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a go at a team mate on the pitch, fine. When two team mates on the same team come together in an exchange that could see them both sent off, that is absolutely not ok. It's not good for the players, the team, the manager or the fans, which is exactly the sort of thing Mings is talking about here. 

Back to the point, I absolutely despise the sort of abuse that El Ghazi took. I have never, ever personally attacked El Ghazi and have tended to call people out on here for vilifying him. Not only that, the abuse he took was actually illogical because he was by no means our worst player last season and also helped get us promoted by putting in a really good performance against Derby in the final.

But my original point, and you can disagree all you want if you like, is that while I support Mings' post 100% this is not a Villa fan thing. It happens at other clubs usually when the team is underperforming (which we were last season) and that is one big disadvantage of the rise of social media. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I do agree with Mings here but he is beginning to come across as a highly self-righteous person on and off the pitch. It goes without saying that the abuse of El Ghazi - as with any of our players really - was terrible.

Fully behind him for supporting BLM, but decided to go to a protest and actively encourage others to do so in the middle of a pandemic. Not sure about that mate. His on-field behaviour is also very self-important. Like he really needs to take those extra touches and make that Hollywood pass because he is Tyrone Mings, England International. Maguire does the same actually. Please pass the ball to any of your team mates who are better than you on the ball, thanks.

If you don't like the guy, just say that.  Making ridiculous claims like "defenders who take extra touches have a self-righteous, look at me attitude" is really, really silly. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Greenfly said:

Say what you want about him as a player; he isn't perfect, there are better defenders, whatever. But there's no arguing he's a true leader. He looks out for the other players in the team and is never afraid of saying what needs to be said.

He definitely has an overall positive effect on the entire squad in terms of morale and performances, and that makes him almost as invaluable as Jack right now. Will we have better defenders in the future? Surely. But can we be as sure they'll have the same personality? Both are just as important.

Good for him. Not easy to call out your own team’s fans but sometimes needed.

But Tyrone man it’s Villans come on.

2 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

I do agree with Mings here but he is beginning to come across as a highly self-righteous person on and off the pitch. It goes without saying that the abuse of El Ghazi - as with any of our players really - was terrible.

Fully behind him for supporting BLM, but decided to go to a protest and actively encourage others to do so in the middle of a pandemic. Not sure about that mate. His on-field behaviour is also very self-important. Like he really needs to take those extra touches and make that Hollywood pass because he is Tyrone Mings, England International. Maguire does the same actually. Please pass the ball to any of your team mates who are better than you on the ball, thanks.

That's Tyrones style so get used to it. If it was a huge problem Dean would have told him to cut it out and/or dropped him. He's really important to us on and off the pitch and teams need big characters like him to speak up. Every player has their annoyances but you have to see the big picture he does far more good than bad! 

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

If you don't like the guy, just say that.  Making ridiculous claims like "defenders who take extra touches have a self-righteous, look at me attitude" is really, really silly. 

Yeah fair enough a bit overly-critical, but I think he thinks he is much more important to building our attacks than he is. I don't dislike him, or defenders who take touches in general if they are meaningful, but he is hindering us with mistakes and slowing our build-up play down and I think that comes down to ego, personally. He goes through phases where his teamwork with the ball is really poor.

After a couple of tricky moments on the ball he seemed to go back to just playing it long up field like after lockdown.  I do feel a bit safer when he does that though I think Dean wants us to build from the back and trusts the back 5 to be good on the ball.  Good to see him sticking up for Anwar too.

I think this is about context. I don't think anybody could say that Anwar's contribution has been entirely positive since we came up, and some of the criticism about his performances has been fair. In isolation, having the calmness to score a penalty in a derby is fantastic, however it doesn't make up for the many games where we've questioned his bravery and attitude.

That being said, abusing anyone on social media is just wrong when it appears it's been taken to the levels that Tyrone suggests. This is something that affects so many people and he's right to call those people out. When it's used so negatively, social media is one of those things I wish we could disinvent. It's even worse when this is coming from so called Villa fans. These people need to take a long hard look at themselves and I fully support Tyrone on highlighting this. I'm very pleased he's highlighted it, and I hope it gets picked up by the mainstream media.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

After a couple of tricky moments on the ball he seemed to go back to just playing it long up field like after lockdown.  I do feel a bit safer when he does that though I think Dean wants us to build from the back and trusts the back 5 to be good on the ball.  Good to see him sticking up for Anwar too.

Obviously Dean doesn't want the mistakes but he accepts they are part of trying to build from the back. During the post lockdown period the primary instructions was to just get rid and defensively it worked but our attacking output suffered greatly. 

We have one of the best attacks in the division and that starts with our ability to initiate attacks from our back line.  Sometimes they don't come off but in the end I think the risk is worth it. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I think this is about context. I don't think anybody could say that Anwar's contribution has been entirely positive since we came up, and some of the criticism about his performances has been fair. In isolation, having the calmness to score a penalty in a derby is fantastic, however it doesn't make up for the many games where we've questioned his bravery and attitude.

That being said, abusing anyone on social media is just wrong when it appears it's been taken to the levels that Tyrone suggests. This is something that affects so many people and he's right to call those people out. When it's used so negatively, social media is one of those things I wish we could disinvent. It's even worse when this is coming from so called Villa fans. These people need to take a long hard look at themselves and I fully support Tyrone on highlighting this. I'm very pleased he's highlighted it, and I hope it gets picked up by the mainstream media.

From what I've seen there's a few standing by the stick EL ghazi got "are we not allowed to criticise anyone anymore?" 

"you're shit get out of my club" is not criticism, it's abuse 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

From what I've seen there's a few standing by the stick EL ghazi got "are we not allowed to criticise anyone anymore?" 

"you're shit get out of my club" is not criticism, it's abuse 

I agree entirely, criticism should be constructive and it's about how we say it. That's why I hate social media, it's like everyone loses any kind of awareness. You'd never be so abusive if you were face to face with that person. There's a massive difference in calling into question a player's ability and suitability to the Villa with reasoned opinion, than outright calling them fit to burn.

Looking at it from the other side, the only 'reason' for this unwarranted abuse would be that football is a much more emotive subject than most. I'm sure most fans on reflection would change what they say in the heat of the moment. But that in no way makes the abuse right. And that doesn't take into account the people who are just massive bellends.

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

The criticism is OTT as usual, he had one mistake but except that he was fine. Made some brave blocks

To play our style I expect mistakes from our defenders but Mings gets a bit too criticism from people

It's because his errors are so easy to fix! Drives me up the wall man. His general play is sorted and he's incredibly important to us.

Our CBs are expected to "play with the ball", yes. But his errors so rarely come from anything other than him getting tackled trying to Cruyff turn round a striker or scuffing a clearance because he's waited to be closed down.

It's all about expectation as well. If Engels had appeared from purgatory and put in that performance I'd be singing his praises. I now expect Ty to be at a certain level because I know what he can do. He should absolutely be starting for England if they go with a back three and I'm sure he will if he stops getting tackled every 60/70 mins of football he plays.

9 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Looking at it from the other side, the only 'reason' for this unwarranted abuse would be that football is a much more emotive subject than most. I'm sure most fans on reflection would change what they say in the heat of the moment. But that in no way makes the abuse right. And that doesn't take into account the people who are just massive bellends.

Its a bit of an untalked about subject but mental health of male football fans I genuinely think there are some people on here who it's questionable as to what enjoyment they actually get from football, social media is even worse, I dont like to see stuff like "that's my weekend ruined" when villa lose, there are people who need to walk away for a bit, those messaging players after defeats definitley tick that box

I did it under Bruce, gave my season ticket away, it wasn't healthy to go to games, get drunk and then get that angry 

If football makes you so angry that you feel the need to message el ghazi "you're a word removed" then stop watching football 

• Like 4

Â