Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

37 minutes ago, villa89 said:

He thinks he's Zidane on the ball. Less raking hollywood passes and more concentration please Tyrone.

Yep lets just punt it forward, put men behind the ball and hope something happens up front.

14 minutes ago, YouUnastanFren said:

Nobody is happy with the results in 4 of our past 5 games, but surely everyone is happy with the performances in 4 out 5 of them. We absolutely dominated the majority of the games against SOU, ARS, BHA and WHU.

Results are a different thing to performances, they usually roughly even out over a season but in such a small sample as 5 games (and especially individual games) it's not unusual for them to not reflect each other.

IMHO the performances against WHU and BHA were far better than the ones against SHU and LEI but the results were obviously far worse.

I get that it's disappointing that our results haven't reflected our performances recently but if they had then we'd have 20+ points and be top of the league right now. Is that really the only acceptable level of outcome?

We're one of the most exciting teams in the league going forward and we have allowed very few chances against us all season. If you're not optimistic about our potential now you are never going to be.

Any performance is designed to get 3 points.....that is how the league is designed.....you get the same points for 1-0 as you do 6-0 and the best teams understand this better than most.

Don't be fooled by expansive football....as noble as it is and as accepted as the holy grail of football to pursue....it has its drawbacks and it is usually, when teams who intend to stop you or impose themselves on you....The exceptions may be when you have the very best players who can negate that....i.e The Jack Grealish's of theis world.

Sometimes, we play some great football, when no one is around.....as an example..Sheff Utd and West Ham second half, just retreated, wasn't up for the battle,they only had 2 in midfield anyway, so they brought on Noble...... so we duly obliged by passing for fun.

Your last line is selective, firstly in our first 4 games, you would be right, but not after.....secondly you don't need many chances when the standard of defending, particularly crosses is so poor of late.

I think you fail to address the stark contrast between the first 4 games and the last 5.

We could get back to normal and all will be hunky dory.....but we have wasted so much good work through what I think is avoidable losses.

30 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Mings is fine, I don't understand the big drama sometimes. 

He's not quite as good as I once thought, his stint in the Championship was incredible. Mings is your standard average to decent Premier League CB, he's going to be great some weeks and crap others. I mean he wasn't even that bad against West Ham ffs, apart from his standard dodgy Cruyff turn he had nothing to do. 

This idea every time we lose a game that he needs to be urgently replaced or something is ridiculous. 

I was over the moon when he first came......but Martin Laursen he is not.

I think he needs to get his head on more of the crosses that come in to our box and clear.

17 minutes ago, MrSmirch said:

Yep lets just punt it forward, put men behind the ball and hope something happens up front.

Or alternatively, fail at attempted, and unnecessary Cruyff turns as the last man and lose possession, gifting opposition chances and goals.

Sometimes looks as if he is havin a kickabout with is mates, he is that nonchalant sometimes.

Id be seriously considering moving him back to LB or left of a Back 3 and sign a Top LCB.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Or alternatively, fail at attempted, and unnecessary Cruyff turns as the last man and lose possession, gifting opposition chances and goals.

Sometimes looks as if he is havin a kickabout with is mates, he is that nonchalant sometimes.

Id be seriously considering moving him back to LB or left of a Back 3 and sign a Top LCB.

What top LCB? Spend 80 million on a fridge freezer combo. Slightly more useful than what United signed but still too much. Seriously there are like 7 or 8 really good cbs in the world right now. And half of them are injury prone or injured. 

• Like 1

Pre lockdown we allowed so many chances on goal and allowed so many soft chances every game. 

That isn't happening to the same extent. Unfortunately over the last few games, every half chance has gone in. That's not going to continue and isn't because we've gone back to pre lockdown form. Southampton scored 3 world class goals. Brighton scored a wonder goal and West ham had 2 chances on target. Martinez wasn't needed for most of the game. 

Its just the same people, who have been desperate to criticise the manager, and these games have given them a chance. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He can't play LB. Think he said when he joined that the constant running up and down was over after his injury issues. 

He's too big a bloke to be doing that for 90 minutes.

I think we forget that he's only had 15 months as a premier league cb. And is an England squad regular. His potential is high still. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TRO said:

its like pushing water up a hill....I don't think we should bother.

This is how I feel when I question you comparing us to pre lockdown level of performance and you don't respond. I feel extremely strongly about this. I feel you are so wrong you are doing it to intimidate....

• 2 weeks later...

People say he was excellent and I'd agree to a point but Wolves caught him out a couple of times, one in which Martinez had to rush out of the box to clear the ball 

Hes got some silliness in him but because we won I cant complain to much to be fair.

• Like 1

The one stupid turn on the half way line aside, I thought he was excellent.

Therein lies the problem though. It seems almost every game without fail it's "He was generally good, except for that clanger when he...", and I'm just not convinced he can cut that out of his game.

He's a good player for us this season. I wouldn't be upset if we tried to replace him in the summer.

Â