Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What's gotten into him?
He needs to remember he's a big, mean, no nonsense bastard, not Franz Beckenbauer. He seems to have adopted this casual style of play where he continuosly feigns to do things. It looks awkward and extremely laboured. 

He's still our best defender but I'm starting to question whether he is as good as I thought he was. On current form, he looks as though he has a mistake in him everytime he goes near the ball. 

Worrying. Mostly because all of our other defenders DO have a mistake in them and we can't afford him to start making them too. 

Been like this for a long time.

It can spread confidence elsewhere but not when he's losing it and miskicking the ball half the time.

Tbh wouldn’t be sorry to see the back of him, still living off some of his performances in the championship, Been woeful ever since he played for England, some fans rate him far to highly just shows you how far we have gone downhill as he’s No where near some of our other centre backs we’ve had in the premier league 

Hasn't lived up to the price tag. I'm sure he'd want to leave if relegated but can't see us making our money back so I'd be reluctant to let him go. 

We also know he'll be immense in the championship. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

When we were linked to Cahill on here only a few were in favor, many were saying that he was too old and hadn't played enough games in the last few seasons. I think part of it was people saw it as the kind of signing that Bruce might make, I think there was general resitance to the idea of signing anyone over 30, I think people were also looking back to when we signed RIchards and Lescott.

I wasn't against the idea, but wasn't desperate that we sign him either.

Edited by useless

1 minute ago, useless said:

When we were linked to Cahill on here only a few were in favor, many were saying that he was too old and hadn't played enough games in the last few seasons. I think part of it was people saw it as the kind of signing that Bruce might make, I think there was general resitance to the idea of signing anyone over 30.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but for me the reason wasn’t his age but it was the risk that he’d never be fit and we’d be throwing a massive amount of wages at him for warming the treatment room. A situation we’ve seen too often the last few years. In hindsight he would’ve been a class signing, but you know the Villa way he probably would’ve had a career ended within 2 mins of his debut and then we’d have no back up

Yes there's no guarentee he would have done as well for us as he's doing for Palace, truth be told it's probably a lot easier to perform well as a defender for them than it is as a defender for us. Probably would have made some difference though.

He's not shit, he's just not quite as good as we probably all thought. I really don't know what he'll do if we go down, I think he'd look fine in a more settled Prem squad to be honest and we all know for a fact that he's far too good for the Championship. 

• Like 1

Why would we sell him though?

We want to come straight back up. Mings was a premier league, injury prone flop and we gave him a lifeline, played him in a new position he wanted and he is now an England International. 

• Like 1

I think we might actually keep him if we go down, we payed ridiculous money for him and he hasn't performed to such a level to justify the price tag, so I can't really see any team matching that price and I can't see us selling him for cheaper. Which would be good because he could play a major role in getting us back up 

We truly lack a leadership figure. Cahill would have done a lot for this group. Even if he wasn't up for being a starter week in week out, having a calm head is worth it.

Look at our club, we went from having the likes of Whelan, Jedinak, Adomah, Elphick, Chester to now just Elmo and Taylor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

When we were linked to Cahill on here only a few were in favor, many were saying that he was too old and hadn't played enough games in the last few seasons. I think part of it was people saw it as the kind of signing that Bruce might make, I think there was general resitance to the idea of signing anyone over 30, I think people were also looking back to when we signed RIchards and Lescott.

I wasn't against the idea, but wasn't desperate that we sign him either.

Smith would probably find a way to make Cahill look out of his depth 

4 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Why would we sell him though?

We want to come straight back up. Mings was a premier league, injury prone flop and we gave him a lifeline, played him in a new position he wanted and he is now an England International. 

Will be interesting if he gets in next England squad whenever that is. He has certainly dipped as the season has gone on but still had good games (we saw how important he was on his return from injury at Burnley after our defence completely collapsed over xmas). Given he's been a regular starter for last year I really can't see him giving up on the euros if he loses his place because he's a championship player again.

Someone like Everton would probably pick him up as a squad defender, maybe Leicester aswell as they lack depth beyond their first choices and will be playing in europe again. For all we know there may well be a release clause in the deal he signed last summer.

Edited by VillaChris

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Will be interesting if he gets in next England squad whenever that is. He has certainly dipped as the season has gone on but still had good games (we saw how important he was on his return from injury at Burnley after our defence completely collapsed over xmas). Given he's been a regular starter for last year I really can't see him giving up on the euros if he loses his place because he's a championship player again.

Someone like Everton would probably pick him up as a squad defender, maybe Leicester aswell as they lack depth beyond their first choices and will be playing in europe again. For all we know there may well be a release clause in the deal he signed last summer.

I still think Mings has the capabilities to be a very good defender. I don't think Smith accentuates the defensive side of the game and Mings has suffered from this. 

.  I feel he will move clubs and shine playing for a more defensive minded team.

Edited by gurru991

1 minute ago, gurru991 said:

I still think Mings has the capabilities to be a very good defender. I don't think Smith accentuates the defensive side of the game and Mings has suffered not having a quality defensive midfielder in front of him.  I feel he will move clubs and shine playing for a more defensive minded team.

Would you take him at Leicester? Think he fits what Rodgers likes and would be good competition for Johnny Evans seeing as Wes Morgan must be about 37 now! Obviously need more depth if champions league is going ahead next season.

Edited by VillaChris

Â