Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Said for a while that those worried when if we go down that we would lose him, not convinced, can't see anyone paying the money we would want for him, he's a mid table PL CB, put him in a better team and let him focus on his own job and he'd look better, put him in a team that used the ball well and he'd look better

But for us and where we are right now he's a good player, our best defender, and he's a top top man who we should market and make the face of the club probably make captain too, we won't be buying in 2 CBs better than him and benching him for a long time yet, he's got a 4/5 year villa career in him and will be a player people are very fond of because of who he is 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I'll spit out a controversial opinion. 

Mings is a good Championship defender. Below average PL defender.

I disagree. he could be a top international defender but to make that extra push he needs an experienced defender next to him also talking. A Southgate, Terry, Ferdinand next to Mings would be invaluable and would allow him to concentrate on his own game not just trying to help others all the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, peterw said:

I disagree. he could be a top international defender but to make that extra push he needs an experienced defender next to him also talking. A Southgate, Terry, Ferdinand next to Mings would be invaluable and would allow him to concentrate on his own game not just trying to help others all the time.

That sound a bit lame. Like some child needing to hold his mother's hand.

He can't stand on his own?

Jokes aside. What he need to do is simplifying his game. Just clear it whenever he is under pressure. Stop trying to play out from the back. Stop pretending to be Maldini.

15 hours ago, OxfordVillan said:

Bore off and post this type of thing somewhere else. This is a football forum, an Aston Villa forum. I can’t speak for others but I pop up here for a bit of light relief, to talk football. It’s a bit of an escape from the incessant everyday arguing that seems to surround us all every single day. We get it, you’re very virtuous. Now leave your politics somewhere else and just talk football 😇

I think we are on the same page mate

12 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Wait, you come to Villatalk On Topic to escape incessant arguing?

Yes I do the opposite. Football is generally a safe topic though and it’s good to get it back so we can start talking about that rather than other things. 

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'll spit out a controversial opinion. 

Mings is a good Championship defender. Below average PL defender.

Could suggest he’s a poor mans Van Dyke, but he’s got all the assets to make a top class Cb, just needs to cut out the mistakes. Thought Clark was a good defender but made too many basic errors 

20 hours ago, screwdriver said:

Villa have rubbish defence Mings is a defender. FACT

By this logic (or lack thereof), at one point Stéphane Guivarc'h was one of the best strikers in the world.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Could suggest he’s a poor mans Van Dyke, but he’s got all the assets to make a top class Cb, just needs to cut out the mistakes. Thought Clark was a good defender but made too many basic errors 

Think he could do with more reliable partners in defence as well, as he tries to do too much at the moment to cover other people's mistakes, which in turn means he then makes mistakes.  I do worry he will get a long injury because how he overstretches his legs for balls sometimes and then he gets up gingerly and I cover my eyes hoping he hasnt stretched a muscle or worse torn a muscle.

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

That sound a bit lame. Like some child needing to hold his mother's hand.

He can't stand on his own?

Jokes aside. What he need to do is simplifying his game. Just clear it whenever he is under pressure. Stop trying to play out from the back. Stop pretending to be Maldini.

He could stand on his own but I don’t think any defence with one CB would be much of a success, even if it was Maldini.

Jokes aside. If you had actually read the post that you quoted properly then you’d know they didn’t say that Mings needs a partner to hold his hand, but would prosper playing alongside others who don’t need so much guidance from him so that he could concentrate on cutting out his own mistakes. If he could already lead people and maintain his own highest standards defensively then he would already be a top class international.

• Like 1

What's gotten into him?
He needs to remember he's a big, mean, no nonsense bastard, not Franz Beckenbauer. He seems to have adopted this casual style of play where he continuosly feigns to do things. It looks awkward and extremely laboured. 

He's still our best defender but I'm starting to question whether he is as good as I thought he was. On current form, he looks as though he has a mistake in him everytime he goes near the ball. 

Worrying. Mostly because all of our other defenders DO have a mistake in them and we can't afford him to start making them too. 

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

What's gotten into him?
He needs to remember he's a big, mean, no nonsense bastard, not Franz Beckenbauer. He seems to have adopted this casual style of play where he continuosly feigns to do things. It looks awkward and extremely laboured. 

He's still our best defender but I'm starting to question whether he is as good as I thought he was. On current form, he looks as though he has a mistake in him everytime he goes near the ball. 

Worrying. Mostly because all of our other defenders DO have a mistake in them and we can't afford him to start making them too. 

He has started to believe the hype I think and it has all gone to his head a bit. Strutting around, chewing gum on the go. Mr. Calm. Mr. Casual. Mr. Cool but he doesn't have the footballing ability to back it up and doesnt play to his strengths.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

He has started to believe the hype I think and it has all gone to his head a bit. Strutting around, chewing gum on the go. Mr. Calm. Mr. Casual. Mr. Cool but he doesn't have the footballing ability to back it up and doesnt play to his strengths.

Totally agreed. Look, I like him and he is still a very good player, but he really isn't having a great season. 

Â