January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

3 hours ago, penguin said:

Ciaran Clark reportedly available for £5M, not the most exciting option but he's left footed and you know what you are getting.

Yeah an error prone defender who isn't going to improve and who couldn't wait to get out of here when we got relegated.

No thanks.

• Like 3

£5m for Clark sounds steep, he's got a left foot though and he can pick a pass. Might benefit from some Smith coaching too. Is £5m a lot these days? Is it like spending £1m 10 years ago? If so it's not exactly a mugging. I'd object probably just on his age if we're buying permanent I think the spirit of the project would be more akin to buying a player in his early 20s rather than late...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Yeah an error prone defender who isn't going to improve and who couldn't wait to get out of here when we got relegated.

No thanks.

Wasn't he shown the door then? To be fair he'd had a couple of years of chuckle brothers jokes to live down by then too...

2 hours ago, Mazrim said:

None at all. No thanks.

Is there a Getty image of him actually winning a ball in the air? Probably not...

There is a Getty image of him with a Championship winners medal with Newcastle as their first team Central Defender though... ijs.

• Like 3

Clark hasn’t improved that much over the years, I still remember his debut for us against Fulham, he was excellent. I probably would take him back but he’d probably cost more than what we sold him for. Is he a better option than either Chester or Tuanzebe? Probably not, I’d love Cahill back, he’d be my first choice

IMO Clark is better than Elphick technically speaking, but to be honest I think Clark has ‘burnt is his bridges’ with us, and I think Elphick wants to be in a side where he starts each week... which wouldn’t be here as long as we have two other fit central defenders (Axel and Chester are both better than him). 

• Like 2

All this talk of past players. 

I expect Smith and the new team to come up with a young competent defender who is comfortable on the ball for a reasonable price. 

We seem to have proper people in charge now and I think the days of overpaying for players, getting in ageing players or "names" are over and rather than the "young and hungry" soundbyte we will actually get a player in who will leave most on here disappointed but will turn out to be just what we need. 

• Like 2

Linked with our ex Youth keeper Karl Darlow now. We released him when he was 16

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/7942193/newcastle-karl-darlow-leeds-aston-villa/

KARL DARLOW is a £4million January target for Leeds and Aston Villa.

The Newcastle keeper, 28, has lost his No1 spot at St James’ Park since Martin Dubravka’s arrival.

And Darlow could now be on the move next month with the two Championship promotion hopefuls keen.

The stopper is currently out with an elbow injury but will be back fit before the New Year.

And Darlow is desperate for some game time having made only one appearance this season - in the Carabao Cup.

It remains to be seen if Newcastle boss Rafa Benitez will sanction a sale, even though he is well stocked in the goalkeeping department

I bet the owners will have something to say about bringing past players back to VP. The owners don't want old players turning 30 and on, they want the youngsters in that are going to be fast, exciting and draw the crowds. Look at what the owners said to bruce when he tried to get Terry back to play for us, and Terry is by far the better of them all who have been mentioned above, if Terry wasn't coming I cant see any of them lot coming.

Youngsters is where it's at, 26 years of age and below I believe is what Smith and the owners will drag in to Villa.

For the old bunch it would take some fitness and half and some real conditioning to play what smith plays on the pitch, I'd be very surprised if we were to see anyone aged 28 and above joining us in january and because of a few reasons.

• Like 1