January transfer (we need a whole new team) window 2019

sne

while it shouldn't be set in stone and there obviously should be exceptions made (like with Terry last season) I do feel we should try and have a similar policy as Chelsea and not sign or hand out new contracts to players over 30.

And again, it should not be dogmatic because that's never a good idea.

I was firmly in the "no English manager" and "no Scottish players" camp and both Smith and McGinn have been excellent so exceptions can be made :D 

Edited by sne
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, sne said:

while it shouldn't be set in stone and there obviously should be exceptions made (like with Terry last season) I do feel we should try and have a similar policy as Chelsea and not sign or hand out new contracts to players over 30.

And again, it should not be dogmatic because that's never a good idea.

I was firmly in the "no English manager" and "no Scottish players" camp and both Smith and McGinn have been excellent so exceptions can be made :D 

I think it’s wrong to generalise, as there are always exceptions. You could say no more Scottish managers, but Alex Ferguson was one of the greatest of all time. 

Nationality has no real impact on anyone’s quality, passion, ability... age obviously does but again there are always exceptions.

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I think it’s wrong to generalise, as there are always exceptions. You could say no more Scottish managers, but Alex Ferguson was one of the greatest of all time. 

Nationality has no real impact on anyone’s quality, passion, ability... age obviously does but again there are always exceptions.

Milner is 33 in a month and can't see anyone screaming if he was to come here for 2/3 years (Obviously he won't but just an example of age not always being an issue)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, John said:

I wonder if Dean might consider buying Daniel Bentley from his old club next month?

Suggested him other day on here again  John and someone told me he was crap. :D 

As if he is crap.... really ? he is one of the best young keepers around, whoever said he is crap needs to watch Bentley play a lot more than one game that finished 2-2 against ourselves and they based their judgement on that game.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

In terms of goalkeeper I would much prefer we signed a keeper in his 30's rather than a youngster again. 

What we need is a solid experienced (Premier League or Championship) goalkeeper on a two year contract, someone like Heaton would be perfect.

We've tried the young goalkeeper route, it didn't work or when it did took time. Unfortunately we don't have time on our side this season.

50 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Seems on Brentford forums they want him dropped. Calling for the back-up keeper to start ahead of him

Also Brentford fan on here seemed happy if we took him

Well I am all for doing something to make them happy. :) He was voted goalkeeper of the year at the 2017/18 London Football Awards. I did see him have a game earlier this season when he didn't look near his best but I would rather have him between the sticks than our current first choice and we might be able to get him at a more realistic price than we would have needed to pay for him in August. One to consider alongside Heaton for me.    

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Suggested him other day on here again  John and someone told me he was crap. :D 

As if he is crap.... really ? he is one of the best young keepers around, whoever said he is crap needs to watch Bentley play a lot more than one game that finished 2-2 against ourselves and they based their judgement on that game.

I wonder if you've actually watched him much this season? He hasn't been very good at all, seems to be unable to command his box, Nyland-esque in that respect this season.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I wonder if you've actually watched him much this season? He hasn't been very good at all, seems to be unable to command his box, Nyland-esque in that respect this season.

I've seen him live when i have been scouting at Brentford twice this season and on TV in other games .and also seen him enough over last few years to know he is a very good keeper. All keepers go through bad patches.

Sometimes a move is best thing that can happen to a player that has gone stale at a club. He is a very good keeper. He is nothing like Nyland either.

Brentford fans was all saying last 2 seasons that he is brilliant and will play for England at some point as well.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Would be up for this, he's a good player and would be an excellent option in the centre of the park.

If its Dean Saunders, i think he's too old .....and Dean Smith is doing ok, to attract Ron Saunders.

:clap:

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Milner is 33 in a month and can't see anyone screaming if he was to come here for 2/3 years (Obviously he won't but just an example of age not always being an issue)

Jimmy Milner really is the exception to the rule, though.  He's still a top Premier League talent and his fitness levels are incredible for a professional footballer.  To be honest, he could probably continue to play at a high level until he is almost 40.  I watched some preseason fitness test videos Liverpool put out this summer on YouTube.  One of the first things they had them all do was a lactate threshold test where they were drawing some bloodwork in-between running intense sprints and long distances laps.  The cameraman asked Klopp who his money was on to last the longest out of the squad and he immediately replied "Milner" without a thought and then added a cheeky smile to boot.  Players started dropping out left and right, but a 32 year old Milner continued to lead the pack and even did extra laps after he was the last man standing in the squad.  The guy is a machine.  He's been playing in the Premier League since he was 16 (soon to be over half his lifetime) and doesn't look like he's slowing down anytime soon.

Re-signing a 38 year old John Terry was something most of us wanted to happen again this season, but asking us if we should re-sign Whelan, Jedi, Elmo, or even Sir Alan of Hutton next season?  You'd hear some grumbles.  My point is that Age does not matter for a world class player.