Dean Smith

Demitri_C

36 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Plus he hasn’t messed with the defence apart from injury or suspension. 

And has done a quite outstanding job of having to cope with a frankly ridiculous number of injuries at the back. 

Most successful teams are based on a solid and constant defensive line up. 

How many combinations have we had to play this year in defence? I would be surprised if there is another professional team anywhere in World football who have had as many defensive combinations as we have this season. 

Great manager, he's calm and collected and shows a passion for our club that makes players play  at 100%. 

More like Brian little than Gregory. He's gonna create something special over the next 10 seasons or so .....UTV  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

P10 W10

Goals scored: 23

Goals conceded: 6

Is absolutely incredible. The defensive stat is in a way even more remarkable considering the shambolic state of our defense before Smith arrived. We are colossal at the back and unstoppable up front. Think today was the first time in this run that we were held to a single goal.

I have never seen Villa play football of this calibre. Gone are the days that I used to envy other teams and what they were doing. It's our turn to be envied.

Not going up last season was a massive blessing in disguise. We'd have been slugging it out at the bottom with Steve Bruce likely getting sacked in December and replaced by Mark Hughes or something. More importantly we wouldn't have been taken over by NSWE and crucially would probably never have hired Dean.

Now if we do go up, we have an embedded style and culture and actual ethos on how to win games. We also have an established player recruitment strategy and crucially we know where we stand financially. At the very least we are on much surer footing. What an amazing turnaround in less than a year.

Actually conceded only five. 🤗

On 19/04/2019 at 18:36, mjmooney said:

This. How great must he feel, as a lifelong Villa fan, to be where he is today? 

He is probably saying to his family.....pinch me.

but hey!.....The guy knows what he is doing and having a love for it.....its just great.

• Like 1

Someone earlier mentioned that this is the best they felt as a Villa fan since 1998... For me, this is the best I've felt as a Villa fan since we were 9 points clear of 4th placed Arsenal in 2009 (and we went on to finish XXXX 6th - WTAF). The best I've felt since that incredible League Cup Semi-Final against Blackburn... the best I've felt since that 2015 FA Cup Semi-Final performance and result.

We've been made to pay for a good length of time after all of those highs.

Let's be honest folks, winning 10 on the spin like we have is about as good as it's going to get. Cherish it... Make the most of it... you never know when your next 'high' is going to come from, especially with Villa. It's taken a century and more to win 10 on the bounce... We're not likely to ever see that again. We could just as easily see ten losses on the spin.

In Dean I trust... a remarkable feat... I just hope that our highs for this season are not quite over just yet. Up the Villa... UP THE XXXXXXG VILLA!!!! :)

10 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

I thought Smith got it wrong yesterday.

Why make a double substitution when we are winning the game and want to run the clock down?

This is tactical Nativity on a new level. 1) it doesn't waste any time c) it disrupts the telepathy of the team with two new consciousness's to connect with instead of one.

The subs should have been staggered. If we had picked up an injury it would have been squeeky botty cheek time.

Also why bring on Andre Powederpuff Green. It would have been better to switch Kodjia to the wing and totally bring on Davis earlier. Both need as many minutes as they can get. we would have been able to lump it long to davis by passing Millwall's double decker midfield. he could of flicked it on to the overlapping Kodjia then bingo!

Smith should of come out and said he got it wrong in the postmatch.

You're not even trying anymore, are you? :D 

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, screwdriver said:

Why make a double substitution when we are winning the game and want to run the clock down?

This is tactical Nativity on a new level. 1) it doesn't waste any time c) it disrupts the telepathy of the team with two new consciousness's to connect with instead of one.

The subs should have been staggered. If we had picked up an injury it would have been squeeky botty cheek time.

Also why bring on Andre Powederpuff Green. It would have been better to switch Kodjia to the wing and totally bring on Davis earlier. Both need as many minutes as they can get. we would have been able to lump it long to davis by passing Millwall's double decker midfield. he could of flicked it on to the overlapping Kodjia then bingo!

Is this because you can't admit you were wrong?

Now make your criticism so over the top that you can pretend you were joking all the time

• Haha 1

Just an observation but this run has helped highlight how much more traffic these threads receive when things are going badly. 

Over the bad run of 13 matches this thread increased by nearly 300 pages. Across the record breaking 10 wins, it’s increased by about 60 pages.

Now ok, the 13 matches were spread over a longer time (about 30 days), but still the conversation rate slowed right down when things are going well.

Like I say, just an observation, not an exact science. I would imagine it would be the same for every club, regardless of the sport. Just mildly interesting.

Anyway keep up the good work Dean, it’s fantastic. I hope to congratulate you on securing promotion in about 8 pages time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, screwdriver said:

Lol. 

• Haha 1

Â