Dean Smith

Demitri_C

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Dean Smith, overrated, cog in the wheel, not tactical enough, can't get the players playing, Steve Bruce got us to the playoffs last season, shouldn't be given time to implement his systems, not seeing the system, diabolical, can't handle the pressure of a big club, this season is over, won't make the playoffs, Dean Smith wont get us doing a Fulham, win the next 9 games LOL in your dreams, Dean Smith out, Dean smith won't make that much difference, don't see the difference in dean's and brucies style of play, Villa are too big for Dean Smith to handle this isn't Brentford, leaking too many goals, not scoring enough goals, seeing no commitment or effort from the players maybe Dean Smith lost the dressing room.

Dean Smith out!!!

Where are they detractors now?, show your faces! :)

Don't forget Jack Grealish hates him too! 

9 hours ago, Harry said:

They know who they are😁

They will pop back up as soon as a game is lost, sure they do it to unsettle the rest and create drama more than believe what they're saying.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hippo said:

Here I am .....

I did have lots of doubts - Aston Villa breaks more managers than it makes - I did question whether very limited success at two much smaller clubs was enough to tame the monster that is Aston Villa - I though he would and thought he was crumbling under the pressure. He seems to have come out the other side and I am fully behind him now. Even if we don't go up this year I now think having gone on such a run he now has credibility in the dressing room ( oh err missus !), which I feared he may be lacking in the early stages.

UTV.

Why wouldn’t you be fully behind him from the start? I just don’t understand this mentality. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Why wouldn’t you be fully behind him from the start? I just don’t understand this mentality. 

To be fair - I'm sure sure hippo is not saying he wasn't behind Deano from the start - just that he maybe had some doubts regarding his suitability for the post - which I think in fairness others also expressed these thoughts.

1 minute ago, Dave J said:

To be fair - I'm sure sure hippo is not saying he wasn't behind Deano from the start - just that he maybe had some doubts regarding his suitability for the post - which I think in fairness others also expressed these thoughts.

Pretty sure he was adamantly against him from the start.

• Like 2

Yes he was as no matter what pro arguments were put forward, he constantly came back with the opposite view....and all because we didn't get someone like Allerdyce.

The best one I remember from our poor run was to suggest there wasn't any improvement in the playing style and that DS had failed to give us an identity.

Edited by New_Hope

1 hour ago, New_Hope said:

Yes he was as no matter what pro arguments were put forward, he constantly came back with the opposite view....and all because we didn't get someone like Allerdyce.

The best one I remember from our poor run was to suggest there wasn't any improvement in the playing style and that DS had failed to give us an identity.

Yup about right in the last part, but people are entitled to have a difference in opinion and shouldn't be crucified on here or anywhere because of it.

If I'm in support of Smith and someone tells me they are on the other side of the fence about him, i can disagree. However when Smith was new, really the Smith adventure that is now turning into hopefully a dream could of gone either way. It could of been us being the one's that are silent on here all while they are asking where the Smith supporters are these days..

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I always wanted to suceed. But there were times when I wanted him replaced.

Once the defense was sorted in January I wanted to see substantial improvements and development during the run in for him to be kept on after the season.

Suffice to say we've seen that. Delighted with the performances even thou I've not been able to watch most games due to work.

• Like 1

Even now it is still hard to reconcile the team we are now and the way we play to the team we were in that abject run of losses, I will be first to admit I was worried as the team performances, selections and substitutions all seemed to get more and more questionable, but I think we had so many issues with injuries that it is hard for that not to cloud things. The biggest issue was we seemed to also lose confidence completely and any team would if you keep losing or drawing.

But eventually the players Dean brought in or recalled started to do the job, Grealish came back and suddenly not just his performances improved but so many other players around him improved, it just goes to show that there are so many factors in football that lead to success and often so few that lead to failure.

Dean showed at the start how he wanted us to play, it took a long time to get things the way he wanted in attack and midfield and then even longer to sort the defence out, I think we are probably 60-70% of the team Dean wants us to be for the Championship, if we get promoted that figure goes out of the window as I personally have no idea what we need to be to survive or thrive in the Premiership so can't even speculate anymore.

• Like 1

What i loved about the MON era was the fact that i went to every game (probably Man UTD aside) thinking that we had a chance of getting a result. 

You don't win them all of course but the hope was there and even when we got turned over i never felt like it was down to want of trying. 

That is exactly how i feel again under Smith. 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Because his name was not Deanio Smithao from Portugal.

(Insert any other sexy country, hair style and/or fashion sense here)

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Because his name was not Deanio Smithao from Portugal.

(Insert any other sexy country, hair style and/or fashion sense here)

Wasn't it mostly the people who were firmly behind Steve Bruce (and me :D ) who were hesitant against Smith?

So going by that Dean Smith isn't a boring and nondescript name enough perhaps.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Wasn't it mostly the people who were firmly behind Steve Bruce (and me :D ) who were hesitant against Smith?

So going by that Dean Smith isn't a boring and nondescript name enough perhaps.

To be fair he wasn't my "perfect choice" either.

I was somewhat jealous of Wolves etc and hoping we would have gotten one of those high profile Portuguese managers we were linked with.

In the end though, everything about Dean Smiths appointment felt right to me and made sense, for where we were/are and what we are trying to achieve.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Yup about right in the last part, but people are entitled to have a difference in opinion and shouldn't be crucified on here or anywhere because of it.

not-on-our-watch.jpg

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

Even now it is still hard to reconcile the team we are now and the way we play to the team we were in that abject run of losses

Whilst I agree with most of the post, I want to pick up on this bit. I don't remember an abject run of losses. I remember a lot of draws where we felt we should have won, but we have only lost 9 games all season, (3 of which were under Bruce) and during our dismal run we only lost 4 games from the 14, and we have only lost back to back league games once under Smith. Way too many draws in that run I agree, but abject run of losses, no.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If it comes to it and we don't go up, it's vital we keep our key players and if possible the loaners. We should be a contender for real next season, but the championship is a strange place to be and anything can happen..

The playoffs are going to be tough, some good teams there capable of surprising anyone including us. I'm dreading it to be honest at the sane time as looking forward to it. Smith can do it and I'm hoping those teams are burnt out come play offs. We have a ton of quality players who this time and second time around should win that final, let's hope we are not done by that expectation it's happened to many before.

Anyone know the odds for Villa to win playoffs??

Edited by Dave-R

Â