Dean Smith

Demitri_C

16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

For the first time in a while I am confident that DS and the recruitment team won't squander what money we do have to spend at the end of the season.

This is what excites me the most.  I think the days of spunking large amounts of money and old journey men are gone.  I feel we will make a lot of very prudent signings who have the capacity to improve and gain huge resale value.  

Purslow has already shown much stronger stewardship with regard to this in the battle with Spurs re Grealish and the loan clauses put in place for Hause and Mings.  We will not be walked over again with him pulling the strings.

• Like 1

If we don't get promoted we are in risk in losing alot of key players and will we be able to replace them if we are still a Championship team next season?

I guess this is a question for another day, but alot in our squad really depends on what league we will be playing in next season.

41 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If we don't get promoted we are in risk in losing alot of key players and will we be able to replace them if we are still a Championship team next season?

I guess this is a question for another day, but alot in our squad really depends on what league we will be playing in next season.

SMITH OUT

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Yeah that is a problem, but as you say no point in worrying about that now, we will just have to deal with it if it happens.

What's more impressive is how players that were here all ready has improved under him. 

Taylor, El Ghazi, Whelan, Elmo, Tuanzebe, Grealish, McGinn, Hourihane. 

Some have gone from being terrible to decent. While others have gone from great to brilliant. 

One of the thing that impressed me during our bad spell was seeing how El Ghazi and Hourihane was improving in their defensive efforts. He has spotted weaknesses in our players game, and improved it. While they were left unoticed or unchanged during Bruce's reign.

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 4

On 20/04/2019 at 08:56, Delphinho123 said:

Why wouldn’t you be fully behind him from the start? I just don’t understand this mentality. 

I think  he means he lacked the confidence to get fully behind him when Smith first came. Why would any self - respecting Villa fan not want the manager to succeed ?

On 20/04/2019 at 13:20, VillanousOne said:

Even now it is still hard to reconcile the team we are now and the way we play to the team we were in that abject run of losses, I will be first to admit I was worried as the team performances, selections and substitutions all seemed to get more and more questionable, but I think we had so many issues with injuries that it is hard for that not to cloud things. The biggest issue was we seemed to also lose confidence completely and any team would if you keep losing or drawing.

But eventually the players Dean brought in or recalled started to do the job, Grealish came back and suddenly not just his performances improved but so many other players around him improved, it just goes to show that there are so many factors in football that lead to success and often so few that lead to failure.

Dean showed at the start how he wanted us to play, it took a long time to get things the way he wanted in attack and midfield and then even longer to sort the defence out, I think we are probably 60-70% of the team Dean wants us to be for the Championship, if we get promoted that figure goes out of the window as I personally have no idea what we need to be to survive or thrive in the Premiership so can't even speculate anymore.

Good post.

On 20/04/2019 at 10:31, Dave-R said:

If it comes to it and we don't go up, it's vital we keep our key players and if possible the loaners. We should be a contender for real next season, but the championship is a strange place to be and anything can happen..

The playoffs are going to be tough, some good teams there capable of surprising anyone including us. I'm dreading it to be honest at the sane time as looking forward to it. Smith can do it and I'm hoping those teams are burnt out come play offs. We have a ton of quality players who this time and second time around should win that final, let's hope we are not done by that expectation it's happened to many before.

Anyone know the odds for Villa to win playoffs??

Screen Shot 04-21-19 at 11.38 PM.PNG

• Like 1

Â