Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I'd say G.Ramsay, R.Saunders, T.Barton (But a debate to whether he just kept the boat steady from Saunders work could be had I suppose), G.Taylor and even M.O'Neill are names I would also bring up when thinking of Villa's greatest managers but D.Smith is certainly up there in my opinion. He's a record breaker. 

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Who was our last great innovator?

McLeish - playing Heskey wide midfield in that game against Spurs - must've invented parking the bus, when there wasn't a bus, just a rickety pile of rust of a side :P

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, 8pints said:

I'd say G.Ramsay, R.Saunders, T.Barton (But a debate to whether he just kept the boat steady from Saunders work could be had I suppose), G.Taylor and even M.O'Neill are names I would also bring up when thinking of Villa's greatest managers but D.Smith is certainly up there in my opinion. He's a record breaker. 

O Neil not a chance in my eyes..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Who was our last great innovator? On or off the pitch? Graham Taylor? 

I'm 35 and I'm too young for him. 

It's a good question, I'm not sure we've had an 'innovative' manager in my lifetime really, I'm 36 so like you, GT mk1 was a but before my time of being able to understand what an innovative manager would be. 

If I think of periods in which we've done well, Big Ron, Little, Gregory, MoN - to me each of those seemed more like good motivators rather than innovative thinkers, could be wrong though and I guess innovation is a subjective view, in this context at least anyway. 

Anyway, balls to history, we're all about the future (finally). 

• Like 2

On 23/04/2019 at 11:02, screwdriver said:

I thought Smith got it wrong yesterday.

Why make a double substitution when we are winning the game and want to run the clock down?

This is tactical Nativity on a new level. 1) it doesn't waste any time c) it disrupts the telepathy of the team with two new consciousness's to connect with instead of one.

The subs should have been staggered. If we had picked up an injury it would have been squeeky botty cheek time.

Also why bring on Andre Powederpuff Green. It would have been better to switch Kodjia to the wing and totally bring on Davis earlier. Both need as many minutes as they can get. we would have been able to lump it long to davis by passing Millwall's double decker midfield. he could of flicked it on to the overlapping Kodjia then bingo!

Smith should of come out and said he got it wrong in the postmatch.

Why come out and say you got it wrong when you really got it right??

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's a good question, I'm not sure we've had an 'innovative' manager in my lifetime really, I'm 36 so like you, GT mk1 was a but before my time of being able to understand what an innovative manager would be. 

If I think of periods in which we've done well, Big Ron, Little, Gregory, MoN - to me each of those seemed more like good motivators rather than innovative thinkers, could be wrong though and I guess innovation is a subjective view, in this context at least anyway. 

Anyway, balls to history, we're all about the future (finally). 

Apart from our successful managers 100 years ago. Never forget them ;)

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well, it would be kinda hard to fit someone in from 100 years ago being as I wasn't alive for 64 of those years, but good effort. 

Mate you said yourself you remember names of our managers from over 50 years ago.

I didn’t even have to try, 

I don’t know where to post this, but seeing Deano is the mastermind of the operation I guess it’s here.

I know the level isn’t up to Premier League standard but I can’t tell you how much I have enjoyed seeing our midfielders having the confidence or the license to get forward and get on the end of chances in the box and scoring goals.

Seems a long time, maybe a decade since we’ve had that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hornso said:

I don’t know where to post this, but seeing Deano is the mastermind of the operation I guess it’s here.

I know the level isn’t up to Premier League standard but I can’t tell you how much I have enjoyed seeing our midfielders having the confidence or the license to get forward and get on the end of chances in the box and scoring goals.

Seems a long time, maybe a decade since we’ve had that.

It's almost as though Bruce docked them pay for each time they were caught inside the opponent's box without having brought the ball in there themselves.  Grealish has a couple of headed goals, Hourihane at least one I think and another saved from point blank range.   We never saw that before Smith came along.

Just reading an interview with Henry Winter and its quite sad regarding his Dad but also fairly interesting about his inspirations like Garry Kasparov and Karpov. He seems a level headed guy and not like some other managers from UK. Its a pretty deep article and really tells a lot about him as a man and not about the football

I would have posted it here but I dont have the link as its behind a paywall. I saw somebody just copy and pasted into a Facebook post so probably not on the site rules

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Just reading an interview with Henry Winter and its quite sad regarding his Dad but also fairly interesting about his inspirations like Garry Kasparov and Karpov. He seems a level headed guy and not like some other managers from UK. Its a pretty deep article and really tells a lot about him as a man and not about the football

I would have posted it here but I dont have the link as its behind a paywall. I saw somebody just copy and pasted into a Facebook post so probably not on the site rules

i have it in full, hold on i'll post

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

That's heartbreaking for Deano's dad not to be able to share in his time as Villa manager. Obviously, regardless of what Dean does as a man, it's a sad situation to know your dad has dementia. I have an aunt who has it and she doesn't recognise me anymore and it's really hard to take. 

I guess the comforting factor for Dean is that he knows in his heart that his dad is proud of him, whatever he does. 

I really hope for Dean that his time at Villa provides him with success stories to look back on and share with his grandchildren. 

Â