Dean Smith

Demitri_C

35 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Interesting that Dean says we were probably 18 months behind where we needed to be in order to keep Jack.  

If we’re only 18 months behind Champions League level, I’m happy to wait.  Sounds like we definitely have the hunger and fight to reach the very top. 

Dean just put massive pressure on himself. Going forward, fans will keep circling back to this line.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Interesting that Dean says we were probably 18 months behind where we needed to be in order to keep Jack.  

If we’re only 18 months behind Champions League level, I’m happy to wait.  Sounds like we definitely have the hunger and fight to reach the very top. 

Next few years are going to be very exciting. 

I hope Dean can get us there 

48 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I'm liking it - secured automatic Champions League spot by Feb 2023! 

10 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Dean just put massive pressure on himself. Going forward, fans will keep circling back to this line.

I don’t think it’s so much a case of him putting pressure on himself, as the expectation of the owners will be there.

Im not saying they will be expecting CL football in 18 months, but they will expect things to keep moving forward, and European football must surely be the goal.

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Next few years are going to be very exciting. 

I hope Dean can get us there 

Not only that but some serious quality will be coming in if we are to competing with City, United, Liverpool and Chelsea for a top 4 place.  We are so far from that to think in 18-24 months to be on our way to competing with them seems highly unlikely but if the management and owners believe that, then the next 2 years will be a whirlwind of a journey.  It surely also means our big transfer business is not over yet for this summer.

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

He delivers the F.A Cup he deserves major recognition for that effort. I can't believe it's been since 1957. And we're still near the top for most f.a cup wins. 

At least with us having really improved the squad on the whole, I see no reason why we can’t be competitive in the cups this year? I’d say the FA Cup is the biggest realistic success that we can attain in the next year or two.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Think he just meant European football not necessarily CL football.

5 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

I’d say the FA Cup is the biggest realistic success that we can attain in the next year or two.

On paper, I would agree. However, will Smith be playing the kids and B team in our cup games and keeping the 1st 11 for the push to a Europa place in the league? If so, then we could very easily get knocked out of a cup to a lower rated side

• Like 1

On 06/08/2021 at 13:59, Cizzler said:

I wish she'd actually ask some insightful questions.

When she interviewed Danny Ings, she asked him what he thought of the gym. Who cares. And now she's asking about what Dean thinks about little kids at Villa Park.

Ask Smith stuff like
- how Ings and Watkins will link up - can they play together/ or will they rotate 
- what role Buendia/Bailey have been signed to play (RM? CAM?)
-  is Young just a back-up full back - will he be considered at LW/RW?
- what are his plans to help us keep possession and press better, etc.

Why would Smith tell the opposition how we are setting up? He doesn't want them to know if a player will miss a game so it doesn't help opposition preparation. So he has an advantage here as they won't know how we'll set up and what team

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

On paper, I would agree. However, will Smith be playing the kids and B team in our cup games and keeping the 1st 11 for the push to a Europa place in the league? If so, then we could very easily get knocked out of a cup to a lower rated side

I just mean that our B team will be stronger than last years B team, but that is also on paper. If only football was played on paper? 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

Our B team now potentially could have the likes of Hause, Tuanzebe, Ashley Young, El Ghazi, Sanson, Luiz, Traore along with a few youths who are really knocking on the door. Far more strength in depth than previous seasons. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

That directive comes from the top. Its pointless to ignore it  That's the aim and Dean needs to deliver on it. He'll love the challenge.

• Like 1

Despite the somewhat sanitised interview I thought that there were some interesting take aways, and as always Dean comes across well.

Firstly with the isolation as well (glad Dean’s wife is ok), it adds to the ‘preseason has been cack’ narrative.

Also it’s clear that progression and in particular European qualification remains the objective, despite Jack leaving. 

Despite explaining Jack’s reasoning there still felt like some ill feeling toward his departure compared with how effusive DS was about Terry.

Lastly he said he had almost a full squad to select against Watford, so perhaps our fitness worries were less pronounced than thought.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Despite the somewhat sanitised interview I thought that there were some interesting take aways, and as always Dean comes across well.

Firstly with the isolation as well (glad Dean’s wife is ok), it adds to the ‘preseason has been cack’ narrative.

Also it’s clear that progression and in particular European qualification remains the objective, despite Jack leaving. 

Despite explaining Jack’s reasoning there still felt like some ill feeling toward his departure compared with how effusive DS was about Terry.

Lastly he said he had almost a full squad to select against Watford, so perhaps our fitness worries were less pronounced than thought.

The line from one of his interviews I found interesting was concerning formations. When asked about Ings and Bailey he specifically said we could play with three forwards, a front 2, or 1 up top with a shadow striker. I think this season we will be alot less predictable, with differing formations in every game. It might take a while to gel, but with the attacking intelligence we now have we could become a very exciting proposition this season.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Why would Smith tell the opposition how we are setting up? He doesn't want them to know if a player will miss a game so it doesn't help opposition preparation. So he has an advantage here as they won't know how we'll set up and what team

The questions I was asking our club reporter to ask are literally no different to the one's Smith has just answered in an interview with Sky Sports.

Link to article

e.g. to my Ings/Watkins question: ""Watkins hasn't played wide for a couple of years," says Smith. "I didn't bring him in to play there. He scored 26 goals for Brentford playing as a centre-forward in the Championship and came to us and got 16 goals also as a centre-forward - so no, I don't envisage him out there".

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Every time I hear him speak my mind always goes back to those **** weirdo Leeds/WBA/SHA fans who despise him. Like how? This is the nicest guy in football.

Jealousy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Every time I hear him speak my mind always goes back to those **** weirdo Leeds/WBA/SHA fans who despise him. Like how? This is the nicest guy in football.

6 fingered inbreds usually don’t like anything not of their own nature 

• Like 1

Â