Dean Smith

Demitri_C

On 05/08/2021 at 12:11, TRO said:

We don't always agree....but I see some credence in this.

I think in one way he will be sad, and in another relieved. like you say, he can get back to a balanced outlook. I think Dean had to tread on egg shells to a degree, with Jack, thats now gone.

It would be interesting to hear Deans true inner thoughts, we probably never will.

It was hard not to direct everything through Jack, but it was our achilles Heel IMV.....only time will tell.

I think the owners have/will back Dean to build a more balanced team, but more focus will be on him to do just that.

It would be very interesting to hear Dean's views on Grealish leaving. 

Like others, I think he may well be relieved too. No more golden boy taking all the plaudits. Dean seems a more grounded person too so I wouldn't be surprised if all the showman stuff with Grealish got to Dean. Reminds me of when my uncle, who for years has moaned about Jack slowing our play down too often and allowing teams time to get back into position. I would imagine that would do a manager's head in. 

If we look at what Grealish has done, does anyone think Dean would leave us like that if England came calling or one of the so-called big 6? Personally, I don't think so. 

Just watched the full 10 minute video.

He covered Jack in basic terms and wished him well, get the feeling Deano will flip this whole saga as a motivational tool to instill an intense focus to succeed. 

A genuinely good man, a proper footballing man.

• Like 4

Very interested in how he approaches the season in terms of our shape and style.

I do wonder whether losing Jack, and the quality we've brought in to replace. will free him up as we were clearly set-up to run everything through Jack and this did result in slowing the game down at times and us looking directionless when he didn't play.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

I wish she'd actually ask some insightful questions.

When she interviewed Danny Ings, she asked him what he thought of the gym. Who cares. And now she's asking about what Dean thinks about little kids at Villa Park.

Ask Smith stuff like
- how Ings and Watkins will link up - can they play together/ or will they rotate 
- what role Buendia/Bailey have been signed to play (RM? CAM?)
-  is Young just a back-up full back - will he be considered at LW/RW?
- what are his plans to help us keep possession and press better, etc.

I don’t mean it in a negative way against the club, but all these things from any clubs own website have a propaganda element to them - they drive the narrative.

You’re never going to get anything all that ‘juicy’ or even particularly interesting from these types of interviews.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

When she interviewed Danny Ings, she asked him what he thought of the gym. Who cares. And now she's asking about what Dean thinks about little kids at Villa Park.

Ask Smith stuff like
- how Ings and Watkins will link up - can they play together/ or will they rotate 

Yep, bit of a fan girl interview, but it is AVTV after all. 

19 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Ask Smith stuff like

I would love hear these question, only issues it can be is give away our games plan. Best thing keep it out, we could figure and work out in few games in premierships (early season).

educate guess: 

for sure it is gonna be Possible both - I think it is will be Watkins at Left, Ings at Centre, Bailey at Right and all pressure forward and interchange in 4-3-3 and Rotate in 4-2-3-1 to keep fresh striker.

I think Buendia could play CAM and LM and Bailey might interchange with him to play ACM free roam behind striker like "Free-Roam Striker to feed Watkins and Watkins go wide and Bailey take his centre area to stay box to threat rather empty centre box.

I think he will as back-up Left back or Play LW/RW occasion out of Bench or as starter depend the plan.

He is manager who use Genpress type when we in front-padel he did with us for many season and liverpool match 7-2 that Genpress and Possession best match we have play. That Barkley got covid as he point it that why he not up to level as start of season might that why not work out with low fitness in latter season.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Interesting...  And yet we've had tonnes of posters shutting down others for months when anyone dare mentioned signing another striker.

"We DoN't NeEd AnOtHeR sTrIkEr"

"We'Re NoT sIgNiNg A sTrIkEr To RePlAcE OlLiE wHo We OnLy SpEnT £xx AmOuNt On LaSt SeAsOn"

"We'Re NoT pUsHiNg OlLiE tO tHe BeNcH"

"OlLiE iS NoT gOiNg To PlAy OuT wIdE To AcCoMmOdAtE aNoThEr StRiKeR tHaT wE dOn'T nEeD"

And yet who would of thought... We could actually play two strikers together!!  Remarkable.

Dean has one hell of a challenge on his hands this season.

I don't think our best 11 players work as an 11, and he's going to have to figure out quickly which of them he's going to drop and who he's going to bring in to accommodate a team that works as a whole.

Real challenge compared with last season when he had a first 11 that picked itself.

It is a better place to be, and means we should have a plan B and even a plan C which were totally absent last year. 

Looking forward to seeing how it plays out as I'm sure we'll dish out some hammerings  when it all clicks.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â