Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I was wondering how Smith feels about all of this.

Of course he'll say the right things and how he didn't want to lose a great player etc. but I do wonder if he's actually relieved that with Grealish out of the club, he can balance the side a lot better and make us a better team overall. Any good manager would have done what he did in terms of building the side around Jack, but we all saw what happened when he was out. Now he has the opportunity to not rely on an individual so much, so it'll be interesting to see what he does.

All in all, Smith has been excellent for us and I trust him 100% moving forward. 

This.

Building a club around one player has it's limitations, Jack was an awesome player but I never understood why he was made Captain, he was too young and inexperienced, it should have been Mings all day long.

I think a fresh approach where the balance of the team has a more even feel and not so Jack centric will actually benefit us, even if it make take a bit more time to bed everyone in. The core of our team is still the same.

Just now, VillanousOne said:

This.

Building a club around one player has it's limitations, Jack was an awesome player but I never understood why he was made Captain, he was too young and inexperienced, it should have been Mings all day long.

I think a fresh approach where the balance of the team has a more even feel and not so Jack centric will actually benefit us, even if it make take a bit more time to bed everyone in. The core of our team is still the same.

Wasnt Jack made captain when Smith arrived with Chester staying as club captain. I think Mings is the real club captain 

13 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

He has to expect that he won’t get X amount of free hits with the calibre of player coming in the door, if he doesn’t get results. His record without Grealish isn’t spectacular and that safety net to appease the media and fans when he’s out injured, is gone now. No excuse though, has a fine squad with probably 2 to 3 more in too.

for his own sake....He must strengthen centre Mid.

We can't have teams prancing through the middle of us this season.

44 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I was wondering how Smith feels about all of this.

Of course he'll say the right things and how he didn't want to lose a great player etc. but I do wonder if he's actually relieved that with Grealish out of the club, he can balance the side a lot better and make us a better team overall. Any good manager would have done what he did in terms of building the side around Jack, but we all saw what happened when he was out. Now he has the opportunity to not rely on an individual so much, so it'll be interesting to see what he does.

All in all, Smith has been excellent for us and I trust him 100% moving forward. 

We don't always agree....but I see some credence in this.

I think in one way he will be sad, and in another relieved. like you say, he can get back to a balanced outlook. I think Dean had to tread on egg shells to a degree, with Jack, thats now gone.

It would be interesting to hear Deans true inner thoughts, we probably never will.

It was hard not to direct everything through Jack, but it was our achilles Heel IMV.....only time will tell.

I think the owners have/will back Dean to build a more balanced team, but more focus will be on him to do just that.

45 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Wasnt Jack made captain when Smith arrived with Chester staying as club captain. I think Mings is the real club captain 

I don't know, i always presumed he was the full on club captain, wears the armband and all that, unless it was just symbolic

even if he was, you would expect Ming's to do most of the heavy lifting.

either way i feel we have had to heavily placate Jack in order to pander to his ego and make him stay - not saying that was necessarily the wrong thing to do, just saying.

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

I don’t recall Mings ever been mentioned as captain apart from deputising for Jack. He will get it now though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

For all my criticism of Dean there is no doubt he had an amazing relationship with Grealish.

Grealish really done him dirty, leaving him like that.

I'm sure Dean will just see it as football tbh. What more could the club do, we offered more cash, we built a team around him, made him captain, did our best to support him in his off field shenanigans. I think Dean will miss the talent, but will see this as an opportunity to change the team a little and get some round pegs in round holes sorted. Our transfer business so far has shown that he wasn't prepared to be a one man team anymore, and I guess we all agree with that.

• Like 2

Massive task in hand now.

Grealish loss will have a huge impact on the whole fanbase.

Only way we can forget about it is to kick off the season in a good manner. Win games. Score goals. Get the crowd excited.

Edited by villalad21

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

For all my criticism of Dean there is no doubt he had an amazing relationship with Grealish.

Grealish really done him dirty, leaving him like that.

I have little doubt Dean feels partially a little disappointed, but mostly incredibly pleased one of his young players has made a big step up.

He's gone through this rodeo before, There'll be other players, and the project will continue,

Edited by Davkaus

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think the Ings signing undid the vast majority of the negatitvity within the fanbase tbh.

Onwards and upwards

He has a massive task , our midfield is weak and the starting 2 have had busy summers. We are going to struggle if we don't reinforce this area  and we can't expect our strikers to dig us put of games everytime. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Only way we can forget about it is to kick off the season in a good manner. Win games. Score goals. Get the crowd excited.

You've often said in the past that Dean Smith was nothing without Grealish (or something along those lines) so how do you feel about him now? Do you think he'll cope without him? Do you have sympathy for him? 

2 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

You've often said in the past that Dean Smith was nothing without Grealish (or something along those lines) so how do you feel about him now? Do you think he'll cope without him? Do you have sympathy for him? 

We will have to see how he builds the team now.

Almost like a fresh start in a lot of ways.

His biggest season coming up. Now we'll see what he can do without the need to pander and a squad to choose from. Over to you Deano.

Hopefully we play quicker, press higher and hold the ball better as a team. Get those right with our defence and it will be fun to watch

The main issue i still see Smith needing to resolve is the inability to retain possession and control of the ball, especially in midfield. The players that have been bought in mainly will not improve that except maybe Buendia. The central midfield give the ball away too cheaply, and for a while now we have been unable to control games when pressed, especially when we are in the lead. Games like Burnley last season being a perfect example.

We will not compete with and beat the top 6-8 teams regularly until we can maintain possession and impart our ability on the opposition. We have attacking talent, but that is nullified if you cant get the ball to them in spaces where they can take defenders into areas they do not want to be in. Maybe Sanson can help, but he will be some way off full 90 min fitness for a while.

Edited by Pissflaps
  • Like 3

Â