Dean Smith

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I am worried about us more than most if Jack goes. Fans back at VP, general feeling of negativity because the skipper has gone, a team that has looked very scared to play without him frequently... I fear it could go badly very quickly.

Agree with that.

That feeling of emptiness and disappointment from fans could easily creep into the players and staff.

This isn't just any player. He is the inspiration. The Hero. The one all the kids look up to. Will be a big void if he leaves.

Liverpool somehow managed to improve after selling Coutinho and i vividly remember he was absolutely outstanding, out of this world for them.

Good recruitment will be vital regardless of the Grealish outcome but specially important if he goes.

Edited by villalad21

10 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Had in the back of my mind for a while that if Jack was ever to go, it would be a good time to try to upgrade on Smith at the same time. It's obviously too late to be doing that now with the manager.

He's maximised Grealish no doubt, but we've never really settled when he isn't in the team. I think Jack's preposterous ability has a part to play because the team just got used to him being able to hold the ball on his own, create chances on his own, take up four defenders at a time on his own.

I am worried about us more than most if Jack goes. Fans back at VP, general feeling of negativity because the skipper has gone, a team that has looked very scared to play without him frequently... I fear it could go badly very quickly.

It’s a fair point. 

If Grealish leaves, we’re in massive trouble and we’ll need to fix it very, very quickly. 

Buendia will help, but it won’t be enough to guarantee avoiding a relegation battle. We’ll need to bring in at least 2 more very, very good players. 

I’m as excited as the next person about Bailey joining but parachuting him into a team that has just lost Grealish and expecting a lot from him is going to be massive ask. And that goes for any player we sign from abroad. There is value to be had but we can’t afford for these players to not hit the ground running. 

It’s a horrible situation to be in. I don’t see how we realistically improve if Jack leaves and then all of a sudden, if we stagnate, teams come in for Martinez, Watkins and Konsa next Summer and they might harbour ambitions of playing for a better side. 

Back onto the subject of Dean Smith. I don’t think now is the time to get rid, he deserves a chance to experience life without Jack but I don’t think he’ll get long. I’ve been saying the same thing for years to anyone that will listen that Smith has been very successful at Villa but his Achilles heal has always been his record without Grealish in the side. His luck may have just run out. 

Edited by Delphinho123

27 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s a fair point. 

If Grealish leaves, we’re in massive trouble and we’ll need to fix it very, very quickly. 

Buendia will help, but it won’t be enough to guarantee avoiding a relegation battle. We’ll need to bring in at least 2 more very, very good players. 

I’m as excited as the next person about Bailey joining but parachuting him into a team that has just lost Grealish and expecting a lot from him is going to be massive ask. And that goes for any player we sign from abroad. There is value to be had but we can’t afford for these players to not hit the ground running. 

It’s a horrible situation to be in. I don’t see how we realistically improve if Jack leaves and then all of a sudden, if we stagnate, teams come in for Martinez, Watkins and Konsa next Summer and they might harbour ambitions of playing for a better side. 

Back onto the subject of Dean Smith. I don’t think now is the time to get rid, he deserves a chance to experience life without Jack but I don’t think he’ll get long. I’ve been saying the same thing for years to anyone that will listen that Smith has been very successful at Villa but his Achilles heal has always been his record without Grealish in the side. His luck may have just run out. 

Deano’s problem is an unbalanced squad. We will require some very fancy footwork in the market to distribute the threat we carried from Grealish across more (new) players. 

The owners need to show the fibre of their fabric now, let’s hope Lange has a very good recruitment plan in his top drawer and the finances to deliver it.  

• Like 1

As others have mentioned we have looked rudderless at times without Jack under Smith. Will be interesting to see if he can adapt and not have a game plan revolving around one player.

I really doubt Deano is feeling let down by his team. It's not as if this is a bolt-out-of-blue scenario, and wouldn't he only feel 'let down' if the club have him plenty of assurances that it wouldn't and couldn't happen? Given we're talking about Grealish, it would be ridiculous for anyone to have done so.

I'd be amazed if there aren't any contingency plans in place for exactly this (which hasn't happened yet, I should add).

Edited by His Name Is Death
  • Like 1

2 weeks before the league starts. 

We've got Jack, Mings, Martinez, Sanson, Traore, Douglas Luiz all out away or injured. They aren't going to come back fit and raring to go on the first day. (Except Martinez) 

We wanted to get early business done. We've improved on Traore/replaced Barkley and upgraded Neil Taylor. 

At the start of the season we were hoping for atleast  

Watkins

Grealish Buendia Traore. 

Its now looking like 

Watkins 

AEG    Hourihane    Buendia  

Nakamba McGinn 

We've gone from pushing top 6/8 to a midtable table team. Last season we won 4 out of 4 games. 12 points which was just under a quarter of our total points last season. 

*We've also had a preseason game cancelled.

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Sad 1

I hope for once, the fans expectations start to become more realistic. 

Currently, anything around midtable would be another successful season. And we need to shut up about how ambitious our owners are until we start seeing more. 

Look at the moves Leicester, arsenal and spurs keep making. We are miles away from them at the moment. Top 6 is an absolute pipe dream. 

• Like 4

I like Dean a lot. My non Villa supporting mates have always maintained that biggest limiting factor for our owners will be Dean Smith.

Can we attract very good players with him in? Atm (for how much longer) we have the pull of Jack Grealish. But once he's gone what's the motive to play for us? Dean Smith is no Klopp, Pep, Tuchel are serial winners who draw players to them.

Dean Smith seems nice (to outsiders). For me he has to go back to the football which made him what he is. Front foot ,high press possession football. We will win more than we lose with that style. 

42 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I like Dean a lot. My non Villa supporting mates have always maintained that biggest limiting factor for our owners will be Dean Smith.

Can we attract very good players with him in? Atm (for how much longer) we have the pull of Jack Grealish. But once he's gone what's the motive to play for us? Dean Smith is no Klopp, Pep, Tuchel are serial winners who draw players to them.

Dean Smith seems nice (to outsiders). For me he has to go back to the football which made him what he is. Front foot ,high press possession football. We will win more than we lose with that style. 

I agree with you in one sense.

However, how does someone like Dean ever become a Klopp, Pep, or Tuchel, if they never get the chance to do so?!

All those managers you mentioned started somewhere. Pep had the advantage of just going straight through at Barca as well.

So while I agree, you be got to look at it in that way as well. How did Rodgers become Rodgers?

I do fear that if Jack goes, the club just might look at a change of strategy though, from the top down.

We don't have a " JT factor " anymore either.

Whilst internally we know about the " project " is that alone enough to attract players now?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I agree with you in one sense.

However, how does someone like Dean ever become a Klopp, Pep, or Tuchel, if they never get the chance to do so?!

All those managers you mentioned started somewhere. Pep had the advantage of just going straight through at Barca as well.

So while I agree, you be got to look at it in that way as well. How did Rodgers become Rodgers?

For me he has to go back to what made him Dean Smith. Front foot , high press, win the ball back at any costs football. 

We were too deep at times last season and we gave the ball up too much. Dean's won me over but he needs to go back to what he knows whilst tightening up a little.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

For me he has to go back to what made him Dean Smith. Front foot , high press, win the ball back at any costs football. 

We were too deep at times last season and we gave the ball up too much. Dean's won me over but he needs to go back to what he knows whilst tightening up a little.

I think he got an awakening when he lost 3-0 to Leeds. Tried to beat them at their own game it didn't work. In the reverse fixture he did the only sensible thing. Acknowledging he can't beat them at their own game and just sit back and play on the counter. It's super effective against Bielsa, hence Mourinho has never lost to him.

I think he has come to realize there simply are coaches in this league that does attacking football better than him so he has had to adapt his style.

Not saying we play boring football now although it certainly were boring in the games without Grealish but we ain't bombing players forward like we used to in his early days.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

On 31/07/2021 at 11:09, Sulberto21 said:

Well while Moyes tries to bring in another centre half to tighten west ham up even more Deano gets 2 quality attacking players for near enough 65 mill in . I think he is on the same wavelength as you

• Like 2

On 31/07/2021 at 11:54, villalad21 said:

I think he got an awakening when he lost 3-0 to Leeds. Tried to beat them at their own game it didn't work. In the reverse fixture he did the only sensible thing. Acknowledging he can't beat them at their own game and just sit back and play on the counter. It's super effective against Bielsa, hence Mourinho has never lost to him.

I think he has come to realize there simply are coaches in this league that does attacking football better than him so he has had to adapt his style.

Not saying we play boring football now although it certainly were boring in the games without Grealish but we ain't bombing players forward like we used to in his early days.

I don’t think the 3-0 against Leeds had anything to do with DS not being able to play attacking football well enough, we were simply outworked that night.

In truth, I think the Covid breakout in the squad really affected us as we never seemed the same team really after that. I appreciate Jack’s injury weeks later didn’t help, but we were generally poor after our return from the Covid layoff.

• Like 1

Â