Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Feel for Deano - moulded the squad around Jack and this is the thanks he gets.

No doubt he’ll be really respectful when quizzed about the transfer by the media but I bet he feels let down by Grealish.

Smith has got what it takes to overcome this set back and we’ll be alright in the long run.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, villan-scott said:

I’m beginning to understand why Dean said he was excited about our transfer plans for the summer. We are not f**king about are we?!

I like how we are starting bullying medium sized clubs for players

We're turning into Man City on a smaller scale, and I'm happy with that considering where we were only 3 years ago.

He has to expect that he won’t get X amount of free hits with the calibre of player coming in the door, if he doesn’t get results. His record without Grealish isn’t spectacular and that safety net to appease the media and fans when he’s out injured, is gone now. No excuse though, has a fine squad with probably 2 to 3 more in too.

On 02/08/2021 at 14:04, KentVillan said:

Smith might not have the name recognition to attract stars from across the world to Villa, but he does seem to be very good at persuading key players to stick around and believe in the project.

This hasn't aged well. 

• Haha 1

Thought about that photo of Smith from last week turning up to training beaming. He's obviously known Jack's gone for a while and exactly who was coming in. I think it was @TRO who indicated perhaps Smith and others may not be so sad at Jack going - I can definitely see that now, Smith has good experience at clubs that sell a star and rearrange and do better - it could be there is no better manager for us at this moment to handle this transition. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Thought about that photo of Smith from last week turning up to training beaming. He's obviously known Jack's gone for a while and exactly who was coming in. I think it was @TRO who indicated perhaps Smith and others may not be so sad at Jack going - I can definitely see that now, Smith has good experience at clubs that sell a star and rearrange and do better - it could be there is no better manager for us at this moment to handle this transition. 

Maybe he has one of them Harry Redknapp clauses and he gets 10 percent 😂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jareth said:

Very good point. I hadn’t considered this, that Brentford regularly moved players on and Smith kept them competing and moving in the right direction. Hopefully stands us in good stead to adapt and continue developing. 

4 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Have to finish top half. Then anything in there is really competitive so it’s just if we can push for Europe. My one concern on that is season starts soon so the new lads don’t have long to settle but we could put out a team of experienced players who have been here for a while even as the new lads bed in so don’t want to make that excuse - I just don’t expect the likes of Bailey to be pulling up trees in the first few games.

Senior pros will key in the first few weeks.

The talent is available to DS - can he put all the pieces together reasonably quickly. Exciting times.

Just now, mrchnry said:

Could this be a make or break season for Smith. Fans love turning on him when we dip in form and results. 

Probably. He’ll need to finish at least top 8 and avoid a bad run of form like last season. As always injuries will be key. 

10 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

Could this be a make or break season for Smith. Fans love turning on him when we dip in form and results. 

Once Trump got elected the madness of the crowd can't be underestimated

I was wondering how Smith feels about all of this.

Of course he'll say the right things and how he didn't want to lose a great player etc. but I do wonder if he's actually relieved that with Grealish out of the club, he can balance the side a lot better and make us a better team overall. Any good manager would have done what he did in terms of building the side around Jack, but we all saw what happened when he was out. Now he has the opportunity to not rely on an individual so much, so it'll be interesting to see what he does.

All in all, Smith has been excellent for us and I trust him 100% moving forward. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mrchnry said:

I'm worried that a bunch of new players and losing the man you've worked everything through could prove to be difficult.

Really hope it just clicks straight away though. 

Its what he did at Brentford 

Â