Dean Smith

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Interesting that Dean says we were probably 18 months behind where we needed to be in order to keep Jack.  

If we’re only 18 months behind Champions League level, I’m happy to wait.  Sounds like we definitely have the hunger and fight to reach the very top. 

That stuck out like a sore thumb from that interview. Dean saying that we are probably 18 months away from Champions League football is very interesting. Makes you wonder what he thinks this group is capable of. He must surely be hoping to break top 7 or 8 this season before kicking on into the Champions League places. 

• Like 3

Dean Smith also explained his thinking with our recruitment.

He said he wanted flexibility so he can play one up top or 3 across the front, or two up top or a deeper forward partnership or he can change mid match.

Which is good to hear and makes our signings far less of a puzzle.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Dean Smith also explained his thinking with our recruitment.

He said he wanted flexibility so he can play one up top or 3 across the front, or two up top or a deeper forward partnership or he can change mid match.

Which is good to hear and makes our signings far less of a puzzle.

He also said he has no plans to move Watkins out to play wide on the wings. Good to see! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Villarocker said:

That stuck out like a sore thumb from that interview. Dean saying that we are probably 18 months away from Champions League football is very interesting. Makes you wonder what he thinks this group is capable of. He must surely be hoping to break top 7 or 8 this season before kicking on into the Champions League places. 

I think we are going for top 7 this season and Europa qualification which normally goes down to 7th. I like the way we are building a squad size now that will be able to cope with midweek games. That is normally the nail in the coffin for teams that are new to Europe (Come on Hammers 😀)

Edited by Peter Griffin
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Villarocker said:

He also said he has no plans to move Watkins out to play wide on the wings. Good to see! 

Followed by we could play 3 up front which would be Watkins Ings Bailey as I've previously suggested. 2 inside forwards either side of Ings is not playing Watkins wide on the wings

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Been training today. So a chance he’ll be involved Saturday on the bench hopefully. 

Pinched from the Leon Bailey thread and this is nothing more than a bit of Deano love, but I just bloody love our manager. This is the most likeable squad I can remember in my time supporting the club, team spirit comes from the top, it comes from Deano. 

To land with Deano and NSWE after the rubbish we had prior, wow, I honestly can’t believe the difference, or how quickly (relatively speaking) we’ve got there. 

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

A lot of Villa fans really have to pinch themselves sometimes. Really hope Deano takes us all the way, he deserves it.

100% mate. And the thing is, we’ll probably still see remarks in every match thread this season claiming he should have made a sub earlier, but how many teams are full of superstars and yet fail achieve what they should achieve because of poor team sprit or egos? (“The golden generation England team” springs to mind) 

Why do we love the FA cup? How can Hereford beat Newcastle? Why are there upsets every single season? 

Because the single most important thing in football is team spirit. We seem to have that in abundance, and it will win us many more points this season than we lose because the manger should have made a sub 5mins earlier. 

57 minutes ago, TimTort said:

I can’t for a moment believe that it was Smith who wanted to propose the U23 role. 

There should be a difference between Smith the friend and Smith the Head Coach of a PL team. We do not want a sentimental Head Coach, that is a recipe for failure

• Like 1

“But I think we’re in a good place, our business has been good, we’ve raised £100million for a young lad who came through the Academy here at Aston Villa. And we’ve made him into a British record transfer.”

Boom. How to put someone in their place.

Image result for drop the mic gif

• Like 4

Â