Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Well while Moyes tries to bring in another centre half to tighten west ham up even more Deano gets 2 quality attacking players for near enough 65 mill in . I think he is on the same wavelength as you

In between villa games I used to go and watch Walsall (born n bred yam yam) when Dean Smith was there and they played like a mini Borussia Dortmund. It was brilliant to watch.

On 31/07/2021 at 11:02, Danishlad said:

Am I reading this right. If Jack goes we should sack Smith?? If he stays we should keep Smith?? is that what you are saying?

Smith has been awesome. I’ll give you an untraditional  example of how. 
if we get 15 mill for El Ghazi this will be down to Smith and will be amazing. A lot our old managers would have created a bomb squad and loaned him out for nothing , while we paid the wages. Smith has developed him and never given up on him. This is very creditable.

We are not Real Madrid or Chelsea. We are not looking for instant success. We are building the foundations with good business sense.  Thinking about getting a new manager is absurd. 
I think the words from John Terry to Smith show what a good manager he is. JT has had some world class coaches in his career but recognizes the job Smith is doing . He didn’t have to say those complementary things when he left. 
This season will be tough. Some fans on here have way too much expectation. Leicester have a great side IMO and finished 5th. On our day we can beat them but over a season we can’t. If we improve on 11th I think we will have done well. Let’s be realistic, get behind Smith, he is the best manager we have had for ages and has the club in his heart which is really refreshing.

Agree with most of your post. Big fan of Deano me.

I just think the upheaval to our team would be so great should Jack go, I always thought replacing him and Smith at the same time wouldn't be the worst idea. Get some fresh ideas in instead of carrying trying do what we have been, but Jackless.

Obviously, I don't want that right now as the season starts in two weeks, I definitely want Smith in from the off now.

I want Smith to stay as long as possible, I think he is a good manager and will keep improving us. But I do wonder, how high would the owners aim if they wanted to replace him? 

We are way past the Bruce/big Sam/Pulis managerial circus, so just how high big of a calibre of manager could we now get?

2 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I want Smith to stay as long as possible, I think he is a good manager and will keep improving us. But I do wonder, how high would the owners aim if they wanted to replace him? 

We are way past the Bruce/big Sam/Pulis managerial circus, so just how high big of a calibre of manager could we now get?

i think we could end up getting suckered for the established "big" name in the twilight of their career living off a reputation for things they did 20+ years ago rather than in the last 3 or 4, theres a danger that you can end up with a big name on their way down rather than a younger guy on his way up

id take smith over rafa any day of the week

id obviously also take the next flick or nagelsmann but the risk involved would be huge 

It’s going to be interesting to see what Deano can do now his squad is good enough to finish 6th-9th. All very well having a philosophy for playing the game, but without good enough players relative to your opponents you have to adjust and make do.

Landing Bailey and Buendia (and maybe keeping Jack….) are step changes in player quality, if we can get JWP in then that’s another one. 

Smith ball with better players could be very exciting. 

23 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Dean Smith managed Brentford.

Brentford are the ultimate recycling club.

If there’s one manager who is used to replacing 1 player with 3 ultimately better ones… it’s Dean Smith.

I watched a fair bit of Brentford when Smith was managing them and the football was an exhilarating blend of pace and energy. The midfield and front three worked, pressed and supported each other for 90 minutes. Dean has not been able to successfully replicate that at Villa due to a lack of pace, stamina and physicality with his 'attacking five'.

I think that's about to change with our new players. I still hope that Jack will stay with us, but if he leaves, it will enable Smith to return to a breaking front three that will be keep defences guessing, as they will be capable of attacking left, right and centrally. As brilliant a player as Jack is, our football has become one dimensional in that the opposition know that "give it to Grealish" is our main method of attack. They might not always be able to stop him, but at least they currently know how they have to set up to try and nullify our main threat.

If Grealish stays then because Buendia and Bailey are both dangerous and effective scorers and assisters, defences will not be able to just load up on JG which will give him more space to exploit. It will be very exciting to watch.

If Grealish leaves then we will get to see just how effective Dean is as a top eight level coach with a fast breaking balanced unit, rather than relying on the outstanding abilities of one incredibly talented individual.  

• Thanks 2

I can hold my hands up and admit that I haven’t always been his biggest fan, but the man has my support now more than ever before, and he needs all of ours.

This is a massive season for us, everyone in the country is expecting us to drop down the table now our ‘one man team’ is leaving, but I believe Dean will take the team forward.

We have to remember we are going to lose games and we are going to have periods where we are not playing well,  but he’s proven on several occasions that he is the right man for the job.

Edited by Woody1000

1 minute ago, Pissflaps said:

Right he very quickly needs to come up with some new tactics because this season our plan A is no longer an option. What is he going to do I wonder.

Hopefully a plan B, C etc will come in to play..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Right he very quickly needs to come up with some new tactics because this season our plan A is no longer an option. What is he going to do I wonder.

the tactic of "give the ball to our best player" isn't needed when we have several good players rather than 1 great one

it'll naturally balance 

the attack of watkins with bailey buendia and traore behind him is still good enough thats for sure, buendia to bailey on the counter on paper will be tactic number 1

• Like 2

15 hours ago, villa4europe said:

the tactic of "give the ball to our best player" isn't needed when we have several good players rather than 1 great one

it'll naturally balance 

the attack of watkins with bailey buendia and traore behind him is still good enough thats for sure, buendia to bailey on the counter on paper will be tactic number 1

Remember the 1990 world cup,when an Italian got sent off and the coach took Baggio off streight away so that the team would spread the ball around....they won

With respect, some people impatiently saying that Smith better have some plans up his sleeve are a bit unfair given that he’s lost his best player so late in the day. 

All of preseason preparation will have been done with Grealish available.

He’s been proper dropped in the shit by this.

That said, I fully expect him to defy his critics, as he always has done.

• Like 1

Â