Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

Yeah and look at them this year. All that wear and tear has caught up and their players have been ****. Salah and Mane have been awful, Henderson been injured for ages. Trent just picked up an injury, Gomez and Matip are constantly out as well. 

They are hardly a good example to use. 

True but PL/CL double with those minutes and we weren't in Europe and didn't last long in the cups (which were mostly second string or kids)

On 06/06/2021 at 23:32, El-Reacho said:

Was chatting with a mate today: There's every chance Southgate will leave the England job after the Euros - even if he does get to the latter stages (if he doesn't with this squad he'll definitely be out). Surely Smith would be a serious candidate for the FA - do you think he'd leave what he has here at Villa if he was offered the England job?

If he even thought about it, I would have two words of warning for him: 

Graham Taylor. 

• Like 2

On 07/06/2021 at 01:32, El-Reacho said:

Was chatting with a mate today: There's every chance Southgate will leave the England job after the Euros - even if he does get to the latter stages (if he doesn't with this squad he'll definitely be out). Surely Smith would be a serious candidate for the FA - do you think he'd leave what he has here at Villa if he was offered the England job?

Absolutely not. Smith is a serious manager and international jobs are for those who can't hack league football - it's not a prestigious gig anymore, it's for shitty managers like Southgate and Martinez. 

• Like 2

Also just as we have been saying for Jack is the same for Smith re leaving.  Why would Dean take the England job when he can take his boyhood club to unknown heights.  He has great owners, great support and a squad that has a superstar and adding quality players each season.  It’s like playing Football Manager computer game in the 90’s in cheating mode.  All your dreams come true.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Absolutely not. Smith is a serious manager and international jobs are for those who can't hack league football - it's not a prestigious gig anymore, it's for shitty managers like Southgate and Martinez. 

Martinez is a good manager and I can think of 6-8 others at this tournament who have been serial winners at domestic level before taking on the international job of their nation. The countries of the UK are the only countries that don't take their managers seriously enough in my opinion and it's a mixture of that and the press hounding their every minor mistake which means we'll never have a quality coach in charge of England.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Deano would run through a brick wall to not be the next England manager. 

I agree, Smith is an up and coming quality manager. The England managers job is for a has been manager like Bielsa whose best years were 20 years ago...

Bill Hader Popcorn GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Martinez is a good manager and I can think of 6-8 others at this tournament who have been serial winners at domestic level before taking on the international job of their nation. The countries of the UK are the only countries that don't take their managers seriously enough in my opinion and it's a mixture of that and the press hounding their every minor mistake which means we'll never have a quality coach in charge of England.

Nah he's not and none of the managers of any of the big teams at the tournament are the best their country has to offer IMO.

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Nah he's not and none of the managers of any of the big teams at the tournament are the best their country has to offer IMO.

Hansi Flick is going to be the Germany manager next season and he literally won the champions League in 2020.

28 minutes ago, skarroki said:

I also think that some of the things English players were always revered for, are now lost on some.....The expansive game of teams like Barcelona, which was great in their pomp has taken centre stage.....I'm not knocking that, but we in this country have things to be proud of too....our league is arduous and combative and you have to be ready for that too.

European teams are probably more suited to tournament football, where you play around 9 games to win......it takes a certain type of team to perform for 38 games at a high level....put their clubs in our league and some might struggle.

We have had some great managers imo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skarroki said:

I cant. There is a few decent managers in the tournament but If a top 3 team in any of the major leagues were looking for a manager they wouldnt be looking at Euro 2020 coaches. It has 2 managers that were relegated from the Premier League, one who has a 100 percent Premier League loss record (really impressive), an ex Port Vale manager and my personal favourite the idiot who recommended Aaron Tshibola as a great signing to Villa

• Haha 1

On England, It's a job he could do after his villa career is over.  Whether that's in 1 years, 3 years, 5 years or 10. He's relatively early in his managerial career, and the England job comes around with fair regularity. He won't be in any rush to leave villa, but if he was offered it it would be difficult for him to turn it down, even though I think it would be a mistake and something he'd regret in retrospect.

The England manager role is a poisonous, horrible job. I don't see that ever changing. The FA are still as incompetent as ever too.

On 03/06/2021 at 16:30, MotoMkali said:

I really want him to succeed but he has clear weaknesses that he needs to fix if we as a team are to progress.

- Needs to stop playing favourites so much. Playing McGinn and Barkley to fitness cost us a number of points. If you can't get fit through training then you shouldn't be playing. 

- Needs to be more proactive with tactical changes whether that is during half time or with subs. We always seem to start slow in the second half because Smith doesn't make the necessary adjustments to deal with changes other teams make.

- Increased rotation. There were a number of games this season where Jack should have been subbed earlier which I'm sure contributed to his injury. I hope he is more active with those subs next season. 

-As a team we need to press our advantage. When we score we retreat into our shell and let the opponent put pressure on us. The few games where we continued with our moment we smoked some teams.

I think he is trying to get players in to help with all that.

• Like 1

Â