Dean Smith

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

What’s so attractive about the England job though? I get the feeling Dean likes working with players day in day out and enjoys improving players and actually coaching, international management is a semi retired or job for someone who wants a easier life it’s more about being a face rather than a coach, Roberto Mancini at Italy is the exception. 

Mainly, it's a cushy job. You get the best facilities, you get to go watch loads of different games, you get lots of time off, you get to work with the best players and take part in enjoyable tournaments every 2 years.

You're seen as the best manager in the country and you've got the potential to bring the world cup home for England that so many others have failed at.

Who'd pass all that up?

• Like 1

Lads, the national job is an attractive proposition for all but the top top top managers. England have a talented crop of players. A better manager would have them as legitimate challengers to win the Euros.

Imagine if Dean Smith managed England to their first major trophy in fifty years. Dean, the centre half from Walsall, would become Sir Dean and could walk around and be a hero for the rest of his life. Of course it’d tempting for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

All our pressing stats were much improved this past season. Actually in the first 3rd of the season we were pressing more than anyone else. 

What screwed us was that we had a european campaign like fixture list with a very thin squad.  The matches rescheduled due to COVID forced us to play a game once every 5 days or so for 3 months straight. 

To be fair, I said that myself re the early stats re the post Covid impact.

Im a Smith fan but just wondered if this is an area that we could improve on that doesn’t involve the transfer market.

8 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

To be fair, I said that myself re the early stats re the post Covid impact.

Im a Smith fan but just wondered if this is an area that we could improve on that doesn’t involve the transfer market.

Our stats in terms of goals in the last 15mins of games suggests only the big teams are doing better, which suggests strong fitness/stamina.

https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england&tid=k

E024B74E-8AF4-48C0-B2F9-17DA69FF4DBA.jpeg

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Mainly, it's a cushy job. You get the best facilities, you get to go watch loads of different games, you get lots of time off, you get to work with the best players and take part in enjoyable tournaments every 2 years.

You're seen as the best manager in the country and you've got the potential to bring the world cup home for England that so many others have failed at.

Who'd pass all that up?

Didier Deschamp.

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

The national manager of France?

and the World champion, Manager.

.......wasn't an Italian and swede once England managers?, so whats so unusual about having a french manager, other than he has a job already....but if offered he would most likely "pass it up"

Edited by TRO

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

and the World champion, Manager.

.......wasn't an Italian and swede once England managers?, so whats so unusual about having a french manager, other than he has a job already....but if offered he would most likely "pass it up"

I think I didn't read the whole conversation and probably missed the point to be fair!

The gist I may have misunderstood seemed to be who wouldn't want to be the national manager generally speaking. My head wasn't thinking only England. 

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rolta said:

I think I didn't read the whole conversation and probably missed the point to be fair!

The gist I may have misunderstood seemed to be who wouldn't want to be the national manager generally speaking. My head wasn't thinking only England. 

ok....mine was.....but maybe i missed the point too.

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

ok....mine was.....but maybe i missed the point too.

Ha I think it was me. I'm in one of those heavily procrastinating, not focussed on what I need to do, so I'm on Villatalk states of mind.

1 minute ago, Rolta said:

Ha I think it was me. I'm in one of those heavily procrastinating, not focussed on what I need to do, so I'm on Villatalk states of mind.

is that monthly?😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Enda said:

Lads, the national job is an attractive proposition for all but the top top top managers. England have a talented crop of players. A better manager would have them as legitimate challengers to win the Euros.

Imagine if Dean Smith managed England to their first major trophy in fifty years. Dean, the centre half from Walsall, would become Sir Dean and could walk around and be a hero for the rest of his life. Of course it’d tempting for him.

I disagree, Enda. Any manager who is capable of managing in the premier league is automatically better than the national team role IMO. Smith absolutely loves the intricacies and endless things to study and look at at club level, he'd be bored shitless for England. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I disagree, Enda. Any manager who is capable of managing in the premier league is automatically better than the national team role IMO. Smith absolutely loves the intricacies and endless things to study and look at at club level, he'd be bored shitless for England. 

Fair enough, Mr Dictionary. I think you're as mad as a box of frogs, but fair enough.

• Haha 1

On 18/06/2021 at 12:18, Rightdm00 said:

All our pressing stats were much improved this past season. Actually in the first 3rd of the season we were pressing more than anyone else. 

What screwed us was that we had a european campaign like fixture list with a very thin squad.  The matches rescheduled due to COVID forced us to play a game once every 5 days or so for 3 months straight. 

Indeed. In fact, it was remarked upon at the time that some of the teams playing with such an intensity that early on in the season may not last the course due to a truncated pre-season. I dismissed it at the time as waffle but it kinda proved correct, with the added caveat as stated above. Yet I would say that they managed to find a second wind, fitness certainly didn't *appear* to be an issue in the final few weeks. 

Could it be improved upon then? Almost certainly. But I'm not seeing fault yet, there's too much circumstantial noise. This season will be telling.

• Like 1

I see other people have been having the same thoughts that I have regarding Dean Smith being an excellent choice to replace Southgate if (when) Southgate gets the sack after the Euros.

I think him and Potter would be the obvious good choices for the job.

Fortunately for Villa fans, I think the FA are more likely to approach Steve Bruce than Dean Smith. But if I wasn't biased towards wanting him to stay at Villa, I can't help thinking Smith would be my first choice

• Like 1

Smith would be an incredible England manager. Especially after Southgate.

Imagine being down to 10 after 25 mins in a must win situation and bringing on a striker.

The adage of "we don't mind losing if we give it a go" would be put to the test under Smith for sure.

7 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Smith would be an incredible England manager. Especially after Southgate.

Imagine being down to 10 after 25 mins in a must win situation and bringing on a striker.

The adage of "we don't mind losing if we give it a go" would be put to the test under Smith for sure.

Keinan Davis on at 80 minutes. 

If Southgate was to leave anytime soon, I think England would more likely give the job to Lampard, he's seems like the kind of character that the FA would like as a figurehead for the England team, he has a reputation for working with youth so would be seen as ideal to work with England's young team, and in recent times it's become fashionable for international sides to give the job to famouns ex players - Deschamps with France, Mancini Italy, De Boer Netherlands, Luis Enrique Spain - and so on.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Â