Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Cheers Dean! ( Yes I know it's not really Dean, but still a very nice touch from the club, and made me smile inside 😎)

Screenshot_20210609-1510322_50.png

Happy birthday  🎉

Wish you all the best 👍🏽

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing Ashley Young talk about how Conte sets such high standards for fitness and we’ve all heard about how tough Bielsa is and how fit the Leeds players are. Then hearing Jack at England camps talking about how much more intense the training is and how he runs more in matches (wasn’t entirely convinced by this, thinking he was sucking up to GS a bit there).

Is Dean too easy on our players? Could they be fitter, work harder, run more in matches. We’re different to Leeds and that is fine but actually is fitness/stamina/intensity an area we could improve on? Although we appear to pretty good sprinters from the data comparisons Ive seen, we are amongst the worst runners overall.

Dean is clearly popular amongst the players and they all seem happy but should he demand more from them? It might just be our Covid break affected us badly as I’m sure we started the season well in terms of pressing considerably more than the previous season. Or maybe it’s something that’s easier to maintain with a deeper squad.

It’s just that fitness seems such an easy win in terms of improving a squad, doesn’t matter how expensive or skilled the players are.

Just pondering really. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Hearing Ashley Young talk about how Conte sets such high standards for fitness and we’ve all heard about how tough Bielsa is and how fit the Leeds players are. Then hearing Jack at England camps talking about how much more intense the training is and how he runs more in matches (wasn’t entirely convinced by this, thinking he was sucking up to GS a bit there).

Is Dean too easy on our players? Could they be fitter, work harder, run more in matches. We’re different to Leeds and that is fine but actually is fitness/stamina/intensity an area we could improve on? Although we appear to pretty good sprinters from the data comparisons Ive seen, we are amongst the worst runners overall.

Dean is clearly popular amongst the players and they all seem happy but should he demand more from them? It might just be our Covid break affected us badly as I’m sure we started the season well in terms of pressing considerably more than the previous season. Or maybe it’s something that’s easier to maintain with a deeper squad.

It’s just that fitness seems such an easy win in terms of improving a squad, doesn’t matter how expensive or skilled the players are.

Just pondering really. 

We have fitness coaches and all manner of statisticians.  I am sure we are fit enough to play the managers way.  If he changes his tactics then a new fitness regime will be given to the players.

Terry played under Mourinho Conte Ancelotti and a few others I am sure he would mention if we were undercooked.

• Like 2

On 09/06/2021 at 15:22, villan-scott said:

Seeing the rigmarole Everton, Palace, Spurs and Wolves are having trying to appoint a manager makes me even more grateful for the steady ship we have and for Deano! 🙌

10 days later and these teams except Wolves are still looking 

Pre-season starts soon 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

10 days later and these teams except Wolves are still looking 

Pre-season starts soon 😂

It’s brilliant to be so settled whilst these are all in turmoil. I really hope we accelerate our summer business if possible to take advantage.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Just pondering really. 

The thing is you’ve said three comments in the first paragraph, which you can only link one to Smith.

Young’s comment on Conte - he’s not compared Conte to Smith and hasn’t had a training session with Smith so he doesn’t know how Smiths sessions compare to Conte’s and hasn’t indicated either

Bielsa - Yep we’ve all heard that, we assume true but we don’t know how Smith’s sessions are.  Are they the same, slightly less or a lot less.  Either way it doesn’t matter it will be based on the fitness coaches assessment.

Then

Jack - intense may mean one of several things. High quality players.  Trying to cover more tactics in the short space of time because Smith has preseason and all season to introduce tactics whereas Southgate has days to do the same thing.  Intensity maybe to get the players acclimatised to the hotter weather, which in the league we have to worry about less.  As for running in matches that just looks like a tactics thing, I would say Jack is more effective for Villa than England so intensity might not be better.

Improvements are always good but we shouldn’t hold much water to some anecdotal evidence.

On 06/06/2021 at 23:32, El-Reacho said:

Was chatting with a mate today: There's every chance Southgate will leave the England job after the Euros - even if he does get to the latter stages (if he doesn't with this squad he'll definitely be out). Surely Smith would be a serious candidate for the FA - do you think he'd leave what he has here at Villa if he was offered the England job?

Came to this thread because I've been thinking this for a while that Dean's record is very impressive. Similar to Graham Taylor's really. Did well at Watford / Brentford then moved to Villa where they turned the club around. The way Dean Smith has brought through almost a full England XI at Villa won't be missed either. If the FA were suddenly without Southgate, you'd imagine Dean would be near the top of their list.

On 08/06/2021 at 20:10, mjmooney said:

If he even thought about it, I would have two words of warning for him: 

Graham Taylor. 

It would certainly be a warning, especially with all of the other parallels. But I think there's always temptation to look at similar situations and rationalise your own different choices into different conclusions.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Just pondering really. 

All our pressing stats were much improved this past season. Actually in the first 3rd of the season we were pressing more than anyone else. 

What screwed us was that we had a european campaign like fixture list with a very thin squad.  The matches rescheduled due to COVID forced us to play a game once every 5 days or so for 3 months straight. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Came to this thread because I've been thinking this for a while that Dean's record is very impressive. Similar to Graham Taylor's really. Did well at Watford / Brentford then moved to Villa where they turned the club around. The way Dean Smith has brought through almost a full England XI at Villa won't be missed either. If the FA were suddenly without Southgate, you'd imagine Dean would be near the top of their list.

It would certainly be a warning, especially with all of the other parallels. But I think there's always temptation to look at similar situations and rationalise your own different choices into different conclusions.

What’s so attractive about the England job though? I get the feeling Dean likes working with players day in day out and enjoys improving players and actually coaching, international management is a semi retired or job for someone who wants a easier life it’s more about being a face rather than a coach, Roberto Mancini at Italy is the exception. 

Â