Dean Smith

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Truly brilliant manager 

Yep. My measure of a manager is not subs, it’s not making 15 changes per game or stupid interviews. It’s do I like watching this team play football and are the players improving. Dean provides both. 

35 minutes ago, Farlz said:

In classic Villa fashion we miss out on top half with 55 points. I've only bothered checking the last 10 years but 55 would've got us top half every other time 😅

I'll take that as a bit of karma for finishing 17th on our points total last season!

1 hour ago, Farlz said:

In classic Villa fashion we miss out on top half with 55 points. I've only bothered checking the last 10 years but 55 would've got us top half every other time 😅

You see this is why I didn’t put a place finish for success to be deemed at the start of the season. I simply said 50 points knowing where that usually gets you and it being a significant amount more than the season before.

Next season providing we spend this summer like last I want 60, that will usually have you looking at Europa League places and cement us as a serious team to potential targets and sponsors 

• Like 2

Seen quite a few Villa fans  expecting top 6 next season.

That's a bit much imo.

Top 4 is pretty established and Leicester, Spurs, West Ham are both quite a bit ahead of us in terms of their squads.

WE should look and expect to be in and around Everton and Leeds imo. Don't think either of them have great squads. Ff we are miles off them 2 next season then that's not good enough.

If we finish around 7th-8th next season that would be a very good season.

Edited by villalad21

We asked for a marked improvement on last season and we got it. 

as long as we continue in this upward trajectory we’ll be happy fans again.

I love how Smith is handling the job. He clearly loves it here and has assembled a squad of players he likes guiding and clearly the feeling is mutual! 

I hope we reinvest as expected as he deserves it. 

Already excited about next season! 

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Seen quite a few Villa fans  expecting top 6 next season.

That's a bit much imo.

Top 4 is pretty established and Leicester, Spurs, West Ham are both quite a bit ahead of us in terms of their squads.

WE should look and expect to be in and around Everton and Leeds imo. Don't think either of them have great squads. Ff we are miles off them 2 next season then that's not good enough.

If we finish around 7th-8th next season that would be a very good season.

Excuse me, this post is seemingly measured and reasonable. Are you okay? Or is this a teaser for one of of your more attention demanding pontifications?

• Like 1

Just been adding up our results against the classic "Top 6" and Smith's done quite well in comparison to previous managers. 1 win against Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea and 3 against Arsenal in just two seasons.

But seriously, we need to end this curse against United. It's just ridiculous, especially when you consider that on balance they've not been much better than most of these teams over the past decade.

Since 2010/11:

vs Arsenal: 5 wins, 1 draw, 10 losses. 16 points  -14 GD

vs Liverpool: 4 wins, 2 draws, 10 losses. 14 points  -8 GD

vs Chelsea: 3 wins, 3 draws, 10 losses. 12 points  -20 GD

vs Spurs: 2 wins 1 draw, 13 losses. 7 points  -22 GD

vs Man City: 2 wins 1 draw 13 losses. 7 points  -34 GD

vs Man United 0 wins, 3 draws, 13 losses. 3 points  -25

If you went through the 2000s as well I'm sure it'd be even more lopsided as there's only a win and a couple of draws from United to throw in there.

50 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

1 point against Burnley is the most infuriating.

Same with Brighton. Infuriating. 

Â