Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I really want him to succeed but he has clear weaknesses that he needs to fix if we as a team are to progress.

- Needs to stop playing favourites so much. Playing McGinn and Barkley to fitness cost us a number of points. If you can't get fit through training then you shouldn't be playing. 

- Needs to be more proactive with tactical changes whether that is during half time or with subs. We always seem to start slow in the second half because Smith doesn't make the necessary adjustments to deal with changes other teams make.

- Increased rotation. There were a number of games this season where Jack should have been subbed earlier which I'm sure contributed to his injury. I hope he is more active with those subs next season. 

-As a team we need to press our advantage. When we score we retreat into our shell and let the opponent put pressure on us. The few games where we continued with our moment we smoked some teams.

18 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Speaking of managers Claret and Blue podcast have 2 and half hour chat with Uncle John Gregory. Think I'm going to enjoy the hell out of that. 

It was great, he's my fav manager of my time as a Villa fan. I  was a bit too young to appreciate Big Ron. 

If Dean can keep improving as a manager and keep us in the top 6 mix for a couple of years he'll jump to 2nd on my list.

On 05/06/2021 at 17:50, Villaphan04 said:

Indeed he does. Whilst it may restrict our market,  and mean teams will try to make us pay a surplus for who we're after, we seem to have a leadership across the board that have mastered how to handle this.  I'm sure some of our transfer links are leaked by the club,  about players we have genuinely no interest in. They seem to be pokerface masters. 

• Like 2

Was chatting with a mate today: There's every chance Southgate will leave the England job after the Euros - even if he does get to the latter stages (if he doesn't with this squad he'll definitely be out). Surely Smith would be a serious candidate for the FA - do you think he'd leave what he has here at Villa if he was offered the England job?

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Was chatting with a mate today: There's every chance Southgate will leave the England job after the Euros - even if he does get to the latter stages (if he doesn't with this squad he'll definitely be out). Surely Smith would be a serious candidate for the FA - do you think he'd leave what he has here at Villa if he was offered the England job?

I believe he's said before it's the only job he'd choose to leave Villa for.

I imagine the FA will approach Lampard or Howe first though

4 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

I believe he's said before it's the only job he'd choose to leave Villa for.

I imagine the FA will approach Lampard or Howe first though

I'm not sure he would.....my passion is more for Villa than England.

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

He could be at Villa for a long time if things keep progressing. Why give that up for poison chalice of England manager job?

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

On 03/06/2021 at 11:30, MotoMkali said:

I really want him to succeed but he has clear weaknesses that he needs to fix if we as a team are to progress.

- Needs to stop playing favourites so much. Playing McGinn and Barkley to fitness cost us a number of points. If you can't get fit through training then you shouldn't be playing. 

- Needs to be more proactive with tactical changes whether that is during half time or with subs. We always seem to start slow in the second half because Smith doesn't make the necessary adjustments to deal with changes other teams make.

- Increased rotation. There were a number of games this season where Jack should have been subbed earlier which I'm sure contributed to his injury. I hope he is more active with those subs next season. 

-As a team we need to press our advantage. When we score we retreat into our shell and let the opponent put pressure on us. The few games where we continued with our moment we smoked some teams.

And yet on the first and third of these any time we are linked with a player where we already have a solid first teamer people ask “where will (for example) Ward-Prowse play when we already have McGinn, DL and Sanson?” 

I agree with you Smith needs to build a wider squad he has more faith in - but so let’s not assume a player is done for if we sign someone else in their position (not saying you’re doing that here, it just seems a common theme in the transfer thread).

• Like 4

His main downfall last season was only using 11 players first half of the season.

Inevitably injuries will start to stack up and players will suffer from fatigue.

Got to learn to rotate more.

If he do the same thing next season i can see the same thing happening again. Squad management is a crucial part of a manager's job.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

His main downfall last season was only using 11 players first half of the season.

Inevitably injuries will start to stack up and players will suffer from fatigue.

If he do the same thing next season i can see the same thing happening again. Squad management is a crucial part of a manager's job.

You just told me Nakamba needs to start every game ;)

Serious note though I agree with you on this. Including Jack not playing every minute. I don’t blame him for it not being the case as our squad has been largely gash, but don’t think we can use that excuse after this summer.

Edited by Adam2003

44 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

A silly stick to beat Smith with. If you look at Liverpool 19/20 player minutes in PL of their 12th-18th players we gave more to ours season just gone and we're not in Europe. Barring obvious injuries and a couple of signings Liverpool play the same PL team last 3 seasons with no special rotation different from us 

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

A silly stick to beat Smith with. If you look at Liverpool 19/20 player minutes in PL of their 12th-18th players we gave more to ours season just gone and we're not in Europe. Barring obvious injuries and a couple of signings Liverpool play the same PL team last 3 seasons with no special rotation different from us 

How is it a silly stick when people have been using this at Bielsa?

We pretty much did the Bielsa burn out last season, and better squad management is required if we want to be consistent for a whole season.

Just now, villalad21 said:

How is it a silly stick when people have been using this at Bielsa?

We pretty much did the Bielsa burn out last season, and better squad management is required if we want to be consistent for a whole season.

But Liverpool won the league in 19/20 with less rotation while playing in Europe

The impact of the worst COVID outbreak in the league should also not be underestimated. I think that had more to do with our tail off than any “burn out” hypothesis.

I was also very pleased to see smith say in his end of season interview that everyone - himself included - had to get better if we want to achieve our objectives for this forthcoming season.

Give him a more balanced squad with genuine options on the bench and I’m convinced he’ll show more flexibility etc. I think we started to see that with the kids being blooded at the end of the season. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

You have the numbers on that? 

Liverpool winning season 11 players most PL minutes = 30169 

Villa 20/21 season 11 players most PL minutes = 31181

That means our 11 played average of 92 mins more than Liverpool 11 who played way more matches anyway winning Champions League

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Yeah and look at them this year. All that wear and tear has caught up and their players have been ****. Salah and Mane have been awful, Henderson been injured for ages. Trent just picked up an injury, Gomez and Matip are constantly out as well. 

They are hardly a good example to use. 

Â