Dean Smith

Demitri_C

He'll be under a lot of pressure next season, if he can live up to the expectations of challenging for Europe then he will deserve all the plaudits he gets. To be fair he's not afraid to set high targets and put the pressure on himself. As it stands I think we will be doing well just to match last season's points total.

After last season I believe he wants to win the League title. Don't be surprised if we mount a sustained top 6/7 challenge this season with some flirtations with the top spot. All in readiness for next season 22/23 for the real title tilt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, useless said:

He'll be under a lot of pressure next season, if he can live up to the expectations of challenging for Europe then he will deserve all the plaudits he gets. To be fair he's not afraid to set high targets and put the pressure on himself. As it stands I think we will be doing well just to match last season's points total.

As it stands (so with JG in the team) I reckon the addition of Buendia and Young have strengthened us a fair bit. There’s definitely some nice-to-haves, like a top-drawer DCM, but if the season kicked off tomorrow with our whole squad available we’re a top 8 team, imo. We’re only a player or two (JWP and Alvarez/ESR) away from top 6. 

We're a stronger team, but there are lot of other factors at play, like did we slightly over achieve last season, how will we cope once crowds come back, can the absence of crowds partly explain our improved form last season, might we not be so lucky with injuries next season, and so on.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

After last season I believe he wants to win the League title. Don't be surprised if we mount a sustained top 6/7 challenge this season with some flirtations with the top spot. All in readiness for next season 22/23 for the real title tilt.

Wait What Reaction GIF by Willie Jones

Wait What Instinct GIF by CBS

Season 4 What GIF by The Office

3 minutes ago, useless said:

We're a stronger team, but there are lot of other factors at play, like did we slightly over achieve last season, how will we cope once crowds come back, can the absence of crowds partly explain our improved form last season, might we not be so lucky with injuries next season, and so on.

Did we over-achieve based on what? 

If lack of crowds affected us then that must have affected all teams, don’t see why their return uniquely disadvantages Villa? 

Injuries can happen to any team at any time, can’t they? 

I may have it wrong but it seems like you’re desperately searching for negatives for the sake of it. 

• Like 1

I don't see how what I've said is 'desperately searching for negatives', the questions I've posed are all very reasonable ones, I'd say it's more negative in the long run to talk about us challenging for top four/six because that's setting people up to want Smith out if he doesn't live up to those expectations, expectations that probably aren't fair in the first place.

We've just finished eleventh, yes we might improve, but people are talking as if it's given that we're now going to go from being bottom half team to one that could and maybe should finish in the top six or challenging thereabouts, I think it's perfecty fair to question those kind of expectations and ask whether it's being fair on Smith.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Awol said:

Did we over-achieve based on what? 

If lack of crowds affected us then that must have affected all teams, don’t see why their return uniquely disadvantages Villa? 

Injuries can happen to any team at any time, can’t they? 

I may have it wrong but it seems like you’re desperately searching for negatives for the sake of it. 

I think I'm fairly positive but I think before we signed Buendia that we are a mid-table team, no more no less. Our first XI all fit are a great team and are a top 8 first XI.  The squad as a group are about 10th.  Adding Buendia has really really helped. 

My issue is that we have a style and when that works we are flying but when that isnt working, you look to the bench and it's not great.  It has got better with Sanson and some of the kids will improve enough to give us more next season but we dont have enough to change it up, do something different or players that can come on and make a difference. 

That causes two problems, we can be one dimensional in that people know exactly how we are going to play, with what players and that gives them advantage of how they set up against us and secondly when it comes to the second half of the season our players started to look tired a bit and even a 2-5% drop is enough at this level to give the opposition the advantage.  You can also say that when Jack was injured and we looked tired, we at times looked like a relegation team.  Experience of last season, some more break time and adding Buendia has helped a lot.  

I think the final points achieved I think was an overachievement set up by how well we did first half of the season where our Top 8 first XI showed that but once the second half of the season came it hit us hard.  We were very unlucky that the points haul we did get only got 11th place which normally would get a top 8 place.

I think if the season started now, I think i would say that I would predict 8th to 10th as our placing.  We are still short of that depth we need and we need that CAM player (and ideally a DCM).  (I'm not going to mention Striker because that has been debated elsewhere.)

I think we were also lucky with injuries last season but you cant predict that.

I also expect our competition to improve as well, so if they take one step forwards, we need to take two steps forwards to overtake them.

I think we need more to be a Top 8 or even Top 6 team but I'm sure the owners and management will set us up ready for the new season but I dont think we are there yet.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

Whilst I'm hopeful of better and think better might be possibe, as it stands I would say simply finishing in the top half would represent a good season.

Edited by useless
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't see how what I've said is 'desperately searching for negatives', the questions I've posed are all very reasonable ones, I'd say it's more negative in the long run to talk about us challenging for top four/six because that's setting people up to want Smith out if he doesn't live up to those expectations, expectations that probably aren't fair in the first place.

We've just finished eleventh, yes we might improve, but people are talking as if it's given that we're now going to go from being bottom half team to one that could and maybe should finish in the top six or challenging thereabouts, I think it's perfecty fair to question those kind of expectations and ask whether it's being fair on Smith.

I said that because you’ve taken issues that apply to all teams such as lack of fans and used them to suggest Villa may have overachieved. That’s not logical.

Similarly ‘what ifs’ about injuries next season apply to all teams, not just Villa. What if Grealish hadn’t been injured for a third of last season? We’d likely have finished top half comfortably, so you can easily make an argument that we underachieved last season. 

I think your post was framed in a negative, but not a logical way. As for Smith, the pressure will be on him regardless, that’s the nature of his job. I for one won’t be on his back whatever happens, he’s already earned that trust.

I think that our owners and manager know that this season is make or break for building a team that keeps Grealish at AVFC. Smith will have been able to tell Buendia and Young that Jack is going nowhere this summer, and that message will go to any other player/s that we attempt to sign.

We have to wait to see what our first team squad (especially first eleven)looks like on September 1st before making predictions about our target league position.

Smith then has 38 games to demonstrate whether he has what it takes to get the best out of what will hopefully be a very good first team. If he succeeds then JG should remain for the next few seasons with the full intent of taking us into the Champions league after even more team development.

If Smith isn't up to the job then Jack will almost certainly leave next summer and we will have to move on to whatever plan B is. Only my opinion of course.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, useless said:

Not sure we were that lucky with injuries haha. 

I’m buzzing for next season, there’s still a long way to go in this transfer window, pick up a few more gems like we did last summer and we will be flying, look at how Martinez and cash did, Troare bagged some big goals too. 

Buendia is going to be a big player for us, Young I honestly believe will roll back the years and surprise a lot of people with how good he will be. 

• Like 2

If we finish mid table I'd expect Deano to be gone (really hope not, love him) and a new manager in. Honestly cant believe people are only expecting us to JUST improve a little by making the top half, no way, the target will be Europe and NWSE and Deano will be gung bloody HO after it 100%. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, villabromsgrove said:

I think that our owners and manager know that this season is make or break for building a team that keeps Grealish at AVFC. Smith will have been able to tell Buendia and Young that Jack is going nowhere this summer, and that message will go to any other player/s that we attempt to sign.

We have to wait to see what our first team squad (especially first eleven)looks like on September 1st before making predictions about our target league position.

Smith then has 38 games to demonstrate whether he has what it takes to get the best out of what will hopefully be a very good first team. If he succeeds then JG should remain for the next few seasons with the full intent of taking us into the Champions league after even more team development.

If Smith isn't up to the job then Jack will almost certainly leave next summer and we will have to move on to whatever plan B is. Only my opinion of course.

On the whole I think you’re right. I also think that our owners are expecting significant progress and not just to keep Jack. They’ll have plans for all sorts of scenarios, including Jack not remaining injury free for another chunk of the season. If we don’t make the progress they expect then there’s a strong possibility that Dean would  be replaced. I’d go as far as saying if Dean is the manager at the start of the 22/23 season, then we will have just had an excellent season. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

If we finish mid table I'd expect Deano to be gone (really hope not, love him) and a new manager in. Honestly cant believe people are only expecting us to JUST improve a little by making the top half, no way, the target will be Europe and NWSE and Deano will be gung bloody HO after it 100%. 

Depends. With the team right now a top 10 is a good result if you look at the teams we are competing with.  If we add a few more players then it notches it up a bit.  To gun for Europe is a huge step so we need extra quality to be able to try and aim for that.  I’m not convinced we are good enough yet.  Great to target it but if you don’t have the tools it will be a step too far for me.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Oh I agree but if started the season tomorrow I’m not convinced we are strong enough to get it.  Hopefully with some more top notch signings we will be ready but in my opinion at the moment the expectation on achievement for next season from this forum and what we’d be able to achieved aren’t aligned.  But we are still in June so we are very early in the transfer window.

Yeah as of right now, demanding Europe or he's sacked is just silly. 

I love these two signings but they're not taking us above City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs. 

With a bit of luck with injury and maybe Carney taking to the prem, we might be able to battle with Everton, West Ham and Arsenal. But I'd expect all of those to continue to strengthen their team and I believe Leeds will also do the same. 

We're going to have a stronger team but you can't ignore what others do. Let's see what things look like when the window ends. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yeah as of right now, demanding Europe or he's sacked is just silly. 

I love these two signings but they're not taking us above City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs. 

With a bit of luck with injury and maybe Carney taking to the prem, we might be able to battle with Everton, West Ham and Arsenal. But I'd expect all of those to continue to strengthen their team and I believe Leeds will also do the same. 

We're going to have a stronger team but you can't ignore what others do. Let's see what things look like when the window ends. 

tel aviv logo GIF by Milan ESC

Â