Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I see other people have been having the same thoughts that I have regarding Dean Smith being an excellent choice to replace Southgate if (when) Southgate gets the sack after the Euros.

I think him and Potter would be the obvious good choices for the job.

Fortunately for Villa fans, I think the FA are more likely to approach Steve Bruce than Dean Smith. But if I wasn't biased towards wanting him to stay at Villa, I can't help thinking Smith would be my first choice

You're right twice.

Dean Smith would be perfect AND there is no chance the FA would hire him, in my view. 

Gareth probably slags DS off all the time, being that he seems to hate everything Villa.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I think Deano respectfully turns down the England job, saying that he is flattered but has a job to do that he is already committed  to.

I'm not so sure. I think it would be a really tough decision for him. I think England is still a huge pull, especially if he thinks he can get the best out of the great squad England have.

The fear would be the repercussions after. England managers almost always leave the job with damaged reputations.

I don't really know what I would want. I love Smith and want him to stay at Villa, but I also love International tournaments and genuinely believe Smith could do something with the players England have coming through. It would be really exciting.

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not so sure. I think it would be a really tough decision for him. I think England is still a huge pull, especially if he thinks he can get the best out of the great squad England have.

The fear would be the repercussions after. England managers almost always leave the job with damaged reputations.

I don't really know what I would want. I love Smith and want him to stay at Villa, but I also love International tournaments and genuinely believe Smith could do something with the players England have coming through. It would be really exciting.

Catch 22 pal, he has claret and blue blood and on the quiet I bet he is on the job relentlessly. 

I don't think international management has the draw it used to, it was the pinnacle to be allowed to manage you're country. Its been diluted over time for me.

As you say though, the lure of this generation of players and what can be achieved is tantalising and this would be my worry if he was approached.

For its Villa above all else but we are in such a good place right now, that we can almost choose who we want as our next manager, not many would turn us down.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Catch 22 pal, he has claret and blue blood and on the quiet I bet he is on the job relentlessly. 

I don't think international management has the draw it used to, it was the pinnacle to be allowed to manage you're country. Its been diluted over time for me.

As you say though, the lure of this generation of players and what can be achieved is tantalising and this would be my worry if he was approached.

For its Villa above all else but we are in such a good place right now, that we can almost choose who we want as our next manager, not many would turn us down.

Yeah there's just always the danger that if you get rid of the manager who is building the team it loses all momentum. I'd be very fearful of that.

Sorry if this sounds like I'm trying to get rid of Smith. I'm really not. I was just thinking earlier about Southgate getting the sack (which I would like) and I couldn't honestly think of any better English manager to take the job than Dean Smith. I think he'd be excellent.

But like we said, the point is probably moot, as i doubt the FA would even consider such an exciting and progressive manager

I think the England national job is a miserable little cul-de-sac for management careers. It should only be appealing to those who have grown weary of day to day club football.

I don’t see Smith being offered it. I don’t see Smith being interested - certainly not now, anyway.

You only have to look at the decline in the quality of recent appointments as one fails after the other. Turn the clock back and ppl would ridicule you if you said Big Sam and little Gareth would be managing England.

Deano would be a definite target for them, very hard worker, very professional and a massive upgrade on the current imbecile. 

10 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

It should only be appealing to those who have grown weary of day to day club football.

Or those who are part of the FA's machine. Interesting that the U21s don't have a permanent head coach at the moment who would step into Southgate's shoes: seems like the wheels are falling off the machine. Until now, I thought the FA and the national team was becoming increasingly divorced from the Premier League: making the national team a more stable entity. Southgate is a poor performance away from the house of cards falling down. 

If he was ten years older, I could see the FA approaching Lampard: fits the bill perfectly: southerner, tidy, apparently plays nice football; knows some of the players; has experience playing for England. Some of the more adventurous among the FA board would want Brendan Rogers, only to see him turn them down. 

Back OT: Dean isn't the right profile for the FA and the lack of day to day connection with the players would kill him. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
OT
  • Like 1

I'd be gutted if he left but couldn't blame him if he wanted to try to get the best out of this England squad in a world cup.

At least if he took the England job we wouldn't have to hear about him cleaning the seats in the Holte End every sodding game.

I don't think a good manager already in  job would take the England Post these days 

Its too much of a poisoned chalice.

I think only the out of work club managers would take it these days.

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

I don't think a good manager already in  job would take the England Post these days 

Its too much of a poisoned chalice.

I think only the out of work club managers would take it these days.

You don't become a premier League football manager without the confidence, if not arrogance, to believe you can succeed in that type of job, imo.

Smith has one of the most exciting briefs in English football at present - restoring his boyhood club to former glories - with a patient, cash rich board, and a hugely promising young team. He'd be mad to leave - even for England. 

I think that opportunity could be there for him in the future if he wants it, but let's see how the next few years go. I think they are going to be a lot of fun. 

26 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

You don't become a premier League football manager without the confidence, if not arrogance, to believe you can succeed in that type of job, imo.

maybe not, but have any of the England managers from the last 20 odd years actually left a club to join the setup? (as in resigned their post to take over England)

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

maybe not, but have any of the England managers from the last 20 odd years actually left a club to join the setup? (as in resigned their post to take over England)

We prised Hodgson away from Smethwick. Quite the coup.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Smith has one of the most exciting briefs in English football at present - restoring his boyhood club to former glories - with a patient, cash rich board, and a hugely promising young team. He'd be mad to leave - even for England. 

I think that opportunity could be there for him in the future if he wants it, but let's see how the next few years go. I think they are going to be a lot of fun. 

Its like an FM save challenge. Even the way he took over in the Championship with no centre backs.

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Haha 1

If Smith were offered it I think he'd turn them down. I know if I was in that position - managing the club I support, good young team that's on the up, ambitious owners etc, I'd always be left wondering what might've happened had I stayed instead of taking the England job.

As others have said, England is a bit of a graveyard for managers. Also, does it even fit Smith's strengths?

6 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Sven came from winning Serie A to England 

Â