Christian Purslow

villan-scott

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

If the Gerrard appointment doesn't work out he surely has to go

I think he’s done a lot of good for the club and I actually back the Gerrard appointment. I don’t really buy into jobs for the boys.

The problem he faces now is, Gerrard needs to be backed, probably to the tune of 75-100m over the next couple of windows and considering the amount we have spent, is this even possible? 

We’ve spent so much on players that simply aren’t good enough. 

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

At what point does he come into question? And by that, I mean the spending he has overseen during his tenure? 

Look, I get it, we’re in a much better position now than we were before he joined but we have spent a ridiculous amount of money. Looking at the side today, it looks like we’ll need to spend a helluva lot more to get anywhere near the top 8.

All I hear with our recruitment is data, data, data and we then go and blow a load of money on players that are well known to most of us and who don’t seem to improve us. We’ve really signed a load of dross since being promoted. 

Best CEO for many a year. Although the bar is pretty low with Faulkner / Fox etc.

Whilst most applauded the Ings signing - a good many couldn't see him and Watkins working together.

Gerrard looks like he wants to start over, with a narrow formation and attacking full backs - quite at odds with the players on the books - and looks a risky strategy anyway.

The wages and contract Gerrard is on look questionable to me. 

Sure ballsy decisions and to be fair he hasn't ducked em. The consequences of a Stevie G spending spree going wrong don't Bear thinking about.

Edited by hippo

I do think the change in transfer policy is down to Purslow. Is it right or wrong I am not sure but seems Lange and Smith before him have been moved from the transfer picture and bringing in experienced players is the new policy 

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I do think the change in transfer policy is down to Purslow. Is it right or wrong I am not sure but seems Lange and Smith before him have been moved from the transfer picture and bringing in experienced players is the new policy 

Could be the owners don't want to hang about, and have decided we need some experienced players to push on quickly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Could be the owners don't want to hang about, and have decided we need some experienced players to push on quickly.

I think it’s both - they want results but appreciate that Jan windows are very difficult to bring in what you want all the time. They’ve seen the club stagnate and won’t accept it again. So it’s about moving forward and backing the manager at a level we’ve not had in a very long time. 

• Like 1

Ashley Young is our only player over the age of 29. I doubt there's been a change in policy, more like it three players have become available in the last two transfer windows, and it just happens that they happen to be in their late twenties. We will also be letting players go either this window or the next and replacing them with younger players from our own academy.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, useless said:

Ashley Young is our only player over the age of 29. I doubt there's been a change in policy, more like it three players have become available in the last two transfer windows, and it just happens that they happen to be in their late twenties. We will also be letting players go either this window or the next and replacing them with younger players from our own academy.

The way people are talking you would think we need to stock up on zimmer frames because of all the old age pensioners we're buying.  They're not even so old that you would find it impossible to get a fee to shift them on in 3 or 4 years. 

I dont think anybody is complaining about the age but its the wages we will be paying to players who are arguably past there peak 

For me the signings are players that are available and very little scouting or analysis has gone into it

If as a Premier League team you need to scout Coutinho and Digne then something is seriously wrong. The same would go for Bissouma, although I think with him legal advice is more important than scouting. 

I honestly think supplementing a young squad with some older players is more a sign that we are bringing our push for top half a few years forward due to the Newcastle takeover.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think anybody is complaining about the age but its the wages we will be paying to players who are arguably past there peak 

For me the signings are players that are available and very little scouting or analysis has gone into it

You seem to just be making up stuff now. In multiple threads on the forum you just pop up with a load of negativity about everything. 

We have the 4th youngest squad in the Premier League and it's clear we need experienced heads added. Not more promising younger players who need to adapt to the Premier League. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I am not sure why you think we would need to send a scout to Barcelona to watch Coutinho.  Can you imagine the outcry if we missed out on Coutinho because "we didn't get a scouting report back in time to sign him before the window slammed shut"??!!!

2 minutes ago, allani said:

I am not sure why you think we would need to send a scout to Barcelona to watch Coutinho.  Can you imagine the outcry if we missed out on Coutinho because "we didn't get a scouting report back in time to sign him before the window slammed shut"??!!!

Maybe be because he hasnt played a full game in over a year

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You seem to just be making up stuff now. In multiple threads on the forum you just pop up with a load of negativity about everything. 

We have the 4th youngest squad in the Premier League and it's clear we need experienced heads added. Not more promising younger players who need to adapt to the Premier League. 

Yet i was positive with everything about the club until last 6 months or so. What a coincidence 

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I want good decisions not panic decisions

Mate.

So you genuinely think with the calibre of people we have running the club, the decision to sign players with the pedigree of Coutinho and Digne, in positions we needed strengthening, are " panic decisions " ?

They've decided to chuck big wages at high level players out of " panic ".

You think this erodes the years of good decisions and progress made with our Academy and training ground etc?

I think the board and all in charge of the club are dynamic, flexible and adaptable, as they should be.

Right up until Deano got sacked there were people saying he still needed better players ( After years )... lol. Yet we now have a new manager and the signing of a couple of proven players to suit his system signal " panic " ?

We still have the same young players and hot prospects in the squad as well!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I want good decisions not panic decisions

It may work now or it may not, it may not alter the position we are in at all. But what it is, without question is exciting. My two lads WhatsApps are pinging all the time and its all about the Villa from mates who are Liverpool and Man U fans. We are being put back on the map and about time too. 

Edited by Follyfoot

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Mate.

So you genuinely think with the calibre of people we have running the club, the decision to sign players with the pedigree of Coutinho and Digne, in positions we needed strengthening, are " panic decisions " ?

They've decided to chuck big wages at high level players out of " panic ".

You think this erodes the years of good decisions and progress made with our Academy and training ground etc?

I think the board and all in charge of the club are dynamic, flexible and adaptable, as they should be.

Right up until Deano got sacked there were people saying he still needed better players ( After years )... lol. Yet we now have a new manager and the signing of a couple of proven players to suit his system signal " panic " ?

The way I see it the Grealish deal has damaged Purslow ego hence the Ings panic signing and the now big name transfers. 

He then brought in a big name but unproven manager who has in fairness done OK so far. Then he signed the first 2 big names that came onto the market

For me I just see red flags at the moment hope I am wrong

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Maybe be because he hasnt played a full game in over a year

It isn't like we are trying to find out about a player in a lower division whose every match isn't broadcast around the world on international TV.  Gerrard is rumoured to have talked to Coutinho weeks ago - which gives plenty of time for people involved in the recruitment process to obtain and watch video replays of every match he has played in over the last few months.

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

He then brought in a big name but unproven manager who has in fairness done OK so far. Then he signed the first 2 big names that came onto the market

For me I just see red flags at the moment hope I am wrong

I must admit, that is a bit like my feeling. But, in his defence/the flip side of the coin is that if we consider it from his position and on the basis that the owners have said "we want to properly get towards the top 6 and we're absolutely determined to do it, and the resources are there" - then essentially he's under the instruction and it's his job to "go get" and that not progressing will lead to the chop for him. So under that kind of pressure/ambition, just carrying on carrying on is not an option, and anything carries a risk.

As there's **** all any of us can do about any of it, we just need to enjoy the ride (or get off).

• Like 1

Â