Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

He’s such an enigma, isn’t he? His goal record this season is sensational and I’d love to see his goals/minutes ratio as it must be up there with the best. 

One think I’ve noticed is, he doesn’t look anywhere near as comfortable playing on the right, or through the middle as he does on the left. He’s almost exclusively a left winger (nothing wrong with that). 

He needs to keep his place in the side now. We dropped him to accommodate Barkley when Ross came back from injury before but now it’s his shirt to lose.

What’s also great is, if we do sell him, there will be no shortage of takers. We signed him for around 7m unless I’m mistaken? I bet we’d get at least 12-15m for him if we sold in the summer. That’s if we want to....

He strikes me as an excellent player to have in the squad. 

• Like 2

He's a confidence player for sure and it won't do anything for that confidence if you score 5 goals then get dropped for someone as soon as he comes back from injury. He's had his chence and not only scored the winner but been the biggest goal threat. His subbing made sense because Targett was on a yellow and not shying a challenge so putting Trez on to help him was a good move. 

El Ghazi has to start the next game. 

One of very few Villa players who are willing to take a shot from outside or close to the edge of the box which adds another threat when he plays.

He's not the only one who does it, but he does it far more often than anyone else.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s such an enigma, isn’t he? His goal record this season is sensational and I’d love to see his goals/minutes ratio as it must be up there with the best. 

One think I’ve noticed is, he doesn’t look anywhere near as comfortable playing on the right, or through the middle as he does on the left. He’s almost exclusively a left winger (nothing wrong with that). 

He needs to keep his place in the side now. We dropped him to accommodate Barkley when Ross came back from injury before but now it’s his shirt to lose.

What’s also great is, if we do sell him, there will be no shortage of takers. We signed him for around 7m unless I’m mistaken? I bet we’d get at least 12-15m for him if we sold in the summer. That’s if we want to....

He strikes me as an excellent player to have in the squad. 

At 0.75 goals/90 minutes atm. 3rd place right now in the PL. Only Salah and Diogo Jota have a higher ratio.

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

He's getting into the trezequet positions where he gets time and space at the far end of the pitch. He's sensing where the opportunity to score is. Plus he's shooting at goal a million times a game which is good for us. 

I'd like to see him try the cute little roll through for Ollie instead of shooting once or twice I think that will really throw the opposition off.

4 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

He's getting into the trezequet positions where he gets time and space at the far end of the pitch. He's sensing where the opportunity to score is. Plus he's shooting at goal a million times a game which is good for us. 

I'd like to see him try the cute little roll through for Ollie instead of shooting once or twice I think that will really throw the opposition off.

You’re not wrong in what you say, but he’s at his best when he keeps things simple and direct.  
when he starts to think too much, that’s when things unravel for him.

just keep doing what he’s doing.  Either he’ll score, or maybe a rebound or deflection for someone else.

leave him to it I say.

2 hours ago, sne said:

One of very few Villa players who are willing to take a shot from outside or close to the edge of the box which adds another threat when he plays.

He's not the only one who does it, but he does it far more often than anyone else.

He'd also be taking every dead ball when he is playing as far as I'm concerned, corner, direct free kick, crossed free kick and penalties. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Thats what I'd like too but isn't there stat showing we have done way better with Jack on the left.

A 3 of AEG Jack Traore all bang on top form would be very formidable.

No. Jack Gets more goals as a left winger. When he is in the middle the team scores more and concedes fewer. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Almost 100 games for the club, good value signing.

Thought his set pieces were generally good yesterday and he really seemed up for it (out to prove a point perhaps after his last outing there) in the first half in particular.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, turvontour said:

He'd also be taking every dead ball when he is playing as far as I'm concerned, corner, direct free kick, crossed free kick and penalties. 

I dunno. Firstly he's pretty tall. Secondly I prefer to have players who are good at scoring close to the box. He'll never score from a corner.

I am absolutely baffled how poor modern footballers are at striking the ball. Putting in a good corner is so easy.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I am absolutely baffled how poor modern footballers are at striking the ball. Putting in a good corner is so easy.

It's easy to air a looping ball into the area that looks good but gives a goalkeeper a good chance of catching it. Generally, professionals are trying to play a faster, lower delivery that has a higher chance of not 'beating the first man' but which is harder to defend if it gets into the middle.

I get that it's frustrating to watch at times, but it's obviously not a lack of technique kicking a football (come on). Generally speaking corners are largely worthless attacking actions anyway - the long term average for scoring from them is like 2% or something - which is why so many teams take them short nowadays.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I dunno. Firstly he's pretty tall. Secondly I prefer to have players who are good at scoring close to the box. He'll never score from a corner.

Pretty sure he followed his corner in , thus scoring from the second phase of the corner. Our corners have been woeful this season hence why he was probably on them? 

Edited by Sulberto21

He was brilliant against Leeds, and nobody can say he wasn't.

I don't want to be 'that guy' and question someone's attitude, but if his head was right for every single game, he'd be close to unstoppable for us, and we'd be able to play Grealish through the middle permanently (or in a free role).

I've been critical of him before but I desperately want him to get it right on a regular basis, as he's a revelation every time he shows up properly.

Edited by est1874

3 minutes ago, est1874 said:

He was brilliant against Leeds, and nobody can say he wasn't.

I don't want to be 'that guy' and question someone's attitude, but if his head was right for every single game, he'd be close to unstoppable for us, and we'd be able to play Grealish through the middle permanently (or in a free role).

I've been critical of him before but I desperately want him to get it right on a regular basis, as he's a revelation every time he shows up properly.

I don't think that it's his attitude (wanting to do well and give it his all) that is the problem. It seems like it's more he struggles with self belief.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

It's easy to air a looping ball into the area that looks good but gives a goalkeeper a good chance of catching it. Generally, professionals are trying to play a faster, lower delivery that has a higher chance of not 'beating the first man' but which is harder to defend if it gets into the middle.

I get that it's frustrating to watch at times, but it's obviously not a lack of technique kicking a football (come on). Generally speaking corners are largely worthless attacking actions anyway - the long term average for scoring from them is like 2% or something - which is why so many teams take them short nowadays.

I think we all know that. But hitting a hard curled cross is pretty basic. We were drilled on that at 16. Looking at PL footballers, ironically, the floaters you comment on is prevalent. Which begs my question in the first place. 

Obviously hoofball was more a thing in my days as a footballer, so maybe focus of hitting crosses has changed some what. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

Just now, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think we all know that. But hitting a hard curled cross is pretty basic. We were drilled on that at 16. Looking at PL footballers, ironically, the floaters you comment on is prevalent. Which begs my question in the first place. 

Well, I guess you should get your coaching badges and teach them how to do it then 🙄

• Like 1

Just now, HanoiVillan said:

Well, I guess you should get your coaching badges and teach them how to do it then 🙄

I honestly wouldn't know how to teach them. Some things you just know how to do. I'm just surprised they are so bad at it. 

Â