Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

On 28/02/2021 at 09:49, Brumstopdogs said:

Those stats are interesting.

I've been impressed with him this season. I wasn't sure if he could make the step up to the PL but he looks like he is doing okay.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Those stats are interesting.

I've been impressed with him this season. I wasn't sure if he could make the step up to the PL but he looks like he is doing okay.

He appears to be on a mission, work rate looks to be up as well, ball striking is good, id like to see him and Targett taking all the corners.

Always gives me the impression that he needs a lot of love.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He appears to be on a mission, work rate looks to be up as well, ball striking is good, id like to see him and Targett taking all the corners.

Definately, A man with a point to prove and he is doing that this season.

I think bringing Shakespeare in won't have done him any harm either.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He was in that game, sure. He frustrates because we know what he's capable of when his head's in the right place. 

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

He was in that game, sure. He frustrates because we know what he's capable of when his head's in the right place. 

Exactly. My worry is for every Leeds/Crystal Palace performance, there is a Burton/West Ham performance in there too. 
Like I say, he's an enigma. Incredibly frustrating player but also very hard to argue he shouldn't be starting on the left for us as he carries such a goalscoring threat. 

• Like 1

I think the enigma has been solved in all honesty

Playing on the left this season he has been consistently good. 1 blip in the several matches he played there when the whole team were playing rubbish and arguably he shouldn't shouldn't been subbed off over Barkley.

Playing anywhere else, he has been poor. 

The level of the performance on the left goes from ok to excellent depending on his confidence, but if we keep him there, I would not be expecting a categorically bad performance from him.

If Dean has finally seen Ross isn't working,  then the choice we now face is do we keep AEG there when Jack is fit, and move Jack to the middle,  or do we drop AEG again and use Ramsey/Mcginn in the offensive middle position. AEG has consistently shown he cannot play anywhere else (for whatever reason), so this is the only choice to make.

My first choice would be :

-----------Watkins-----------

AEG---Grealish----Traore

for the record, I'd probably go with Nakamba and 1 from Ramsey/McGinn/Luiz in the remaing midfield positions. Probably going for 2 of the latter against the lower teams in the league.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

I think the enigma has been solved in all honesty

Playing on the left this season he has been consistently good. 1 blip in the several matches he played there when the whole team were playing rubbish and arguably he shouldn't shouldn't been subbed off over Barkley.

Playing anywhere else, he has been poor. 

The level of the performance on the left goes from ok to excellent depending on his confidence, but if we keep him there, I would not be expecting a categorically bad performance from him.

I'm not sure. He's racked up plenty of average to bad performances on the left as well.

He is what he is: an inconsistent winger. If he can work on pushing the bad games like West Ham up to more "average" performances that'll be a big upgrade.

Problem with starting on the right, as a right footer, there's really only 1 place to go and that's on the outside of the fullback. This isn't 2000 anymore, you're not beating most fullbacks for pace in short bursts. On the left though, the fullback now has to worry about you cutting inside on your right foot, and if you're like Anwar, you're still comfortable going on the outside on your left and putting in a cross, so you have more strings to your bow and the fullback has more to think about (especially if there's a good overlapping LB playing with you like we do with Targett). 

I liked that him and Traore were switching wings during the game though as it's good to mix things up. Traore looked kind of useless on the left as he doesn't have Anwar's pace and he couldn't cut in on his left foot which kind of shows the overall point I was making here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

I'm not sure. He's racked up plenty of average to bad performances on the left as well.

He is what he is: an inconsistent winger. If he can work on pushing the bad games like West Ham up to more "average" performances that'll be a big upgrade.

No doubt about it, that West Ham half was dire, and honestly the worst 45 minutes of football I’ve seen from a player in a long time.  
But aside from that he’s been largely above average, and sometimes superb.

He will no doubt have another West Ham half.

And if he does, he should get hooked off again.  But, I believe he’s done enough up until now to warrant a starting place, with Jack being moved to the middle.

If he remains consistently good for the remaining 13 games, he would have had a superb season.

23 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Playing for the wrong side really, isn't he?!

Â