Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

The way some people go on about that first half West Ham performance you'd think he was giving the ball straight to the opposition with every touch and pass, scored a hatrick of own goals and got himself sent off all in the space of 45 minutes.

I don't even remember El Ghazi's performance that game. It was probably bad and ineffective. But no where near to the absolute horrific standards some people make it out to be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

The way some people go on about that first half West Ham performance you'd think he was giving the ball straight to the opposition with every touch and pass, scored a hatrick of own goals and got himself sent off all in the space of 45 minutes.

I don't even remember El Ghazi's performance that game. It was probably bad and ineffective. But no where near to the absolute horrific standards some people make it out to be.

It was probably the worst 45 minute performance from any one of our players this season. If I remember correctly, he was taken off at half time, something Smith never does with his players.

El Ghazi has really grown on me. He should start on the left for us, no doubt at the moment. That performance I mention though was paticularly bad. 

• Like 3

Wide players blow hot and cold. It's how it is unfortunately. Traore has been iffy as well as brilliant. Trezeguet was very average last season, until project restart and he was nearly unplayable. He's regressed a bit, but hopefully he can get back to the end of last season. Grealish has been poor some games this also.

El Ghazi has scored 6 goals this season, including some crucial ones. When he's on, he feels like he's Ronaldo, when he isn't, he's Ali Dia.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Agree.

The West Ham game was the perfect storm, probably their best performance for 50 years and our worst of the season, none of our players played well and AEG was arguably the worst of a bad bunch, it had to change at half time and he was the one to come off, some fans just love to jump on anything negative. 

He had a fantastic December and was dropped the instant Barkley was 50% fit again and that must have got to him, I'm pretty sure the spam game was AEG's 1st start again and he just seemed off it, maybe his head was in the wrong place. 

He deserves to be starting on merit right now, I don't think that's even questionable and if he is not as good as the last game, he most probably of all out players needs and deserves us to get right behind him.

Edited by Phil Silvers
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I hope he continues to score some goals, it obviously helps us but he is still the first wide player I would sell.

He is better then Trez IMO.  More of a natural athlete, Trez is too lightweight for the prem.

But has less social media followers.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

It wasn't just the performance, it was his lack of confidence. You could see him panicking every time he got the ball and was therefore giving it away pathetically.

15 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is better then Trez IMO.  More of a natural athlete, Trez is too lightweight for the prem.

Far better than Trezeguet, Trez is effective through effort alone, he's skill level is not even approaching El Ghazi. I'm glad we have him, solid backup and impact player for a team in the Top 10 of the league... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Yep, it was pretty much that.

• Like 2

What I noticed is that the front three changed positions several times during the game, we used to do this all the time earlier in the season but not so much lately, no idea why. I think this helps him as well 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

It wasn't just the performance, it was his lack of confidence. You could see him panicking every time he got the ball and was therefore giving it away pathetically.

Which you can largely blame on Dean for dropping him after an excellent run of form for no reason. Seeing Barkley take your place,  and being useless, whilst not being dropped,  would be enough to knock anyones confidence and have them questioning what they did wrong (which in AEG's case was nothing).

Its been called out he's a massive confidence player, and I bet his confidence against West ham was rock bottom before we kicked off, only back in thanks to an injury,  and that would have fallen further after it became apparent we were barely going to see the ball. If AEG can learn to overcome this massive impact confidence has on him,  even to a degree, it would be great for him and us. Otherwise it will continue to hold him back at times when it is solely his fault

Back on to Dean's role in this... we all make mistakes, and in the scheme of things, Dean is allowed plenty more in my book. We're still doing way better than I ever envisaged possible this season, but I feel he did get it wrong on this one. Barkley should have stayed out the team.

18 hours ago, Thug said:

No doubt about it, that West Ham half was dire, and honestly the worst 45 minutes of football I’ve seen from a player in a long time.  
But aside from that he’s been largely above average, and sometimes superb.

He will no doubt have another West Ham half.

And if he does, he should get hooked off again.  But, I believe he’s done enough up until now to warrant a starting place, with Jack being moved to the middle.

If he remains consistently good for the remaining 13 games, he would have had a superb season.

Why should he, if the same thing doesnt apply to the other players? Yes, he was not good in that game, but who was? I have seen McGinn, Traore and Barkley have equally bad games, but they werent pulled of at half time

I agree that if a players isnt playing well, he should be substituted, but the same rule should apply to everybody, not only El Ghazi and Douglas Luiz

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It was probably the worst 45 minute performance from any one of our players this season. If I remember correctly, he was taken off at half time, something Smith never does with his players.

El Ghazi has really grown on me. He should start on the left for us, no doubt at the moment. That performance I mention though was paticularly bad. 

No, it wasnt. I suggest you take a look at McGinns and Barkleys performance against Brighton

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Both have different qualities. Trez is the graft for tricky away games, AEG better for home games when we're on the ball and front foot much more.

As I said in the other thread, both will have two years left on deal in summer so interested the deals we make on both. If we want to get in another wide player probably isn't room for both in the squad.

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He is certainly better technically but Trez offers the work rate in spades and that is the reason that I would rather keep him as he offers something different.

33 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Think I'd sell Trez first tbf. 

Think I would do.  Trez has definitely reached his limit. AEG may have as well, but I think there's more there (even if only from a consistency perspective) and his best is definitely better than Trez's.

I'll caveat by saying I'd only sell either, if we're getting someone in guaranteed to be better, and therefore a probable first teamer. No point swapping then for a squad player, unless they're particularly young (22ish).

15 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Some really interesting comments from Smith regarding Anwar in his Sheffield United pre-match conference. Very aware of his inconsistencies and wants him to push on.

Well he's got from now until the summer to show that he's good enough to be here. We all know that he can do it, but whether he will is an entirely different matter. 

Â