John McGinn

PompeyVillan

10 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watching his highlights majority are him dispossessing opposition ball carrier in the middle third, mostly in our half. I don't want to lose this important attribute and neither will Smith. He has energy and positioning to go on runs and recover back. He's fine as he has been played

I must admit its one of my favourite actions to view on a football field.....just that we have missed players who can do it over the past 10 years.

John Wick McGinn.

Looking forward to Premier League players getting confused by that arse.

I think he might start slow and struggle with players hitting the deck as soon as he pressures them, which they will. He'll adjust though, too good not to.

• Like 1

On 06/07/2019 at 22:16, Villa_Vids said:

The Scottish Kante! or is Kante the French McGinn!? Love this man. 

I don't think eve we realise how good he is.  He's going to be a massive hit in the Prem and he'll be worth £100m next season. 

On 06/07/2019 at 22:57, AvfcRigo82 said:

I enjoyed that little compilation.

if his name was literally McGiniesta, and Manure saw that vid, we would be getting a 75m offer np......

1 hour ago, ferguson1 said:

I posted this earlier in the Mings thread.  Great pic and funny. 

That pic might be a better explanation of why manure might want him so badly. They haven't had a player for **** years like him, who actually loves what he does and the hard work involved in doing it. They have had some great players, some awesome professionals, but McGinn is something else entirely and money doesn't guarantee you it. Actually, big money might actually kill it.

It is now 10 days since it was reported that Manchester United were ‘preparing a £50m bid for McGinn’ and yet it’s not been reported that Villa have received it. It’s no surprise that manu are no longer the club they were if it takes approaching 2 weeks to type an offer letter.

Is manu’s fax line down or was it all BS?

Edited by brommy

He is such a natural footballer though. So much that he does just can't be taught and would be actively coached out of a young player by some coaches. He operates on pure instinct which is what keeps him elusive and so very hard to play against.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned on here...but The Football Ramble boys are going through their achieves and mentioned this story involving our marathon man.

John McGinn reveals horror of ‘spearing’ incident

John McGinn has spoken for the first time about the freak training ground accident which left him covered in blood and brought his season to a premature end. 

The 20-year-old was left on crutches and requiring hospital treatment after being “speared” by a training pole thrown by St Mirren skipper Steven Thompson, who was left “mortified” by the incident.

And, although the initial thought of Hibs’ latest signing was “is my leg going to be okay?” the damage proved not to be as serious as first thought, the only evidence it ever took place being a small scar.

Saints’ squad were taking part in a dribbling drill when Thompson lost possession to McGinn and stumbled into two poles which were intended for the players to run through, Thompson throwing one in jest at his team-mate, intending to hit the ground behind him. But to his horror, the Scotland Under-21 midfielder suddenly changed direction and was hit.

As a result, McGinn missed the final five games of last season as the Buddies crashed out of the Premiership to join his new club in the Championship, the youngster having turned down the offer of a new deal from the Paisley club as he weighed up his options which not only included a number of top-flight outfits but Houston Dynamo in America’s MLS.

Now, though, McGinn is ready for action again, Hibs boss Alan Stubbs revealing he could even play a part in today’s opening Championship match against Dumbarton, saying: “John has surprised us with his fitness. He’s very close but to throw him in at the deep end in our first real competitive match would be a big ask.

“But I think John is one of those who will just adapt and get on with it, he seems that kind of player.”

Today, however, McGinn admitted he had suffered a major scare on that day back in April at Saints’ Ralston training ground. He said: “At the time, all I could think about was ‘is my leg going to be okay?’ Thankfully, the doctor was on the scene right away and I’ll be forever grateful to Gerry Canning for being on the spot. The physios and staff were really good.

“Thankfully, it missed the serious muscles in my leg or it could have been a lot worse. There was a lot of blood, but I can’t really remember much because it happened so quickly. I just remember looking down and I’m glad the pole came straight back out. 

“I’m just glad to have fully recovered. I’m lucky in that it could have been worse. I was only out for six to eight weeks, which was good. I’ve got a scar, but it’s only small.”

News that McGinn had given St Mirren notice he wasn’t intending to renew his contract naturally aroused great interest but, he revealed, it was Graeme Mathie, Hibs’ head of player identification and recruitment, who was one of the first to make a move.

He said: “Hibs were persistent. From the start of the summer transfer window, Graeme Mathie was on my case and made it clear how much I was wanted and how much I would develop. I’m lucky, I come from a very humble and hard-working family. We discuss everything together. It was the next four years of my career so the move had to be the right one. I wasn’t rushing into anything and making a silly decision. We all thought Hibs was a no-brainer.

“I wasn’t desperate to leave St Mirren, I told them at the end of last season I would keep my options open, but I didn’t feel I developed in the last year the way I had in the two previous to it.

“I needed a fresh start and hopefully I can develop under this manager because he’s really impressed me. He said to me that he gives his players the freedom to play and you could see that last year.”

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/john-mcginn-reveals-horror-of-spearing-incident-1-3852587

Edited by Hornso

7 hours ago, KentVillan said:

One season in the Prem and I think we're going to struggle to hold on to this lad. Could see Klopp taking a shine to him, in particular.

I sincerely hope that we are not going to fall into the same pattern of clubs like Soton et al with the war chest we got. 

Just now, dudevillaisnice said:

I think it’s inevitable, virtually every PL club goes through it. 

mayhaps. guess time will tell. if we do well this season and look like we're mounting a push up the table the following year then who knows..

5 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I sincerely hope that we are not going to fall into the same pattern of clubs like Soton et al with the war chest we got. 

I agree, and don't think we'll become a "selling club", but there's no way we can stop the elite clubs from being interested in our best players.

• Like 1

Â