John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Still it will be interesting to hear if he has any more than common sense.

Did you really just use the words "Common Sense" in relation to a presenter on Talksport???

1 minute ago, TheStagMan said:

Did you really just use the words "Common Sense" in relation to a presenter on Talksport???

No, us!

I want evidence from anyone connected at talksport!

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

No, us!

I want evidence from anyone connected at talksport!

Ah, that makes far more sense.

In relation to the bold bit: Whatever you do then, don't hold your breath 🙂

Edited by TheStagMan

5 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Man, I’d be gutted to lose him, really hoping we can get one more season out of him 

I don’t think we are any longer in a position where we need to hope we can hang on to players. If we spend our money wisely and the coaching staff continue to perform to the high standards they have shown so far, we will soon be extremely competitive in the upper half of the PL. The following season should mean we progress even further. We can offer players like SJM as much as anyone, other than perhaps the current top 4/6, in both footballing and financial terms. If the next two seasons go well, then the sky’s the limit. We won’t have to hope players stay, players will be hoping they can come here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

He's worth at least £170 million to us, because without him we would not be in the Premier League. £50 million is nothing to our owners. We'd literally be giving away an irreplaceable player for peanuts. He has the potential to be the best Villa player of all time, he's that good. Give him a huge new contract now and put an end to this nonsense.

He's been a great player for us, no doubt....and his value, of course, has gone up considerably....but if there is any truth in this story, which I very much doubt, then we should snap their hands off.

He is one of the players I think may well struggle with the step up in standard. Like someone posted earlier, he seems to be on the verge of miscontrolling the ball but then doesn't. I think his hustle and bustle style might be found at the top level.

50 mill for a player with no prem experience?...not a chance

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree with the bulk of what you’ve said Terry. Whilst I believe every player has a price, I think the bigger picture is the message it sends out if we don’t keep our best players. This is particularly important for our owners, at this still very early stage of their ownership. 

The only bit I don’t necessarily agree with is the level of ambition of NSWE. Just going on what they’ve said and the early signs are also encouraging, I don’t believe they’re here to own a steady established PL club. They want us competing and winning things right at the very top. There are really no financial limits, other than not being recklessly stupid, which good businessmen rarely are, or ffp limits, which I believe they’ll try their very best to circumnavigate. 

Actually I agree. I think they want to do a “ Man City”.

I think they are two wealthy guys who want some fun, and want to mix in the circles success will bring. Where you and I might play an X Box game of FIFA or whatever they are doing it for real. I don’t think they are in it for money. I don’t think they’d bother.

I suppose when I said “ probably limited” I was suggesting what would generally be considered more likely.....but yes, actually I agree with you,

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Actually I agree. I think they want to do a “ Man City”.

I think they are two wealthy guys who want some fun, and want to mix in the circles success will bring. Where you and I might play an X Box game of FIFA or whatever they are doing it for real. I don’t think they are in it for money. I don’t think they’d bother.

I suppose when I said “ probably limited” I was suggesting what would generally be considered more likely.....but yes, actually I agree with you,

Spot on, except for the bit about me playing X Box. I’m not sure you’re aware of my old fart Luddite credentials or how desperately I hold on to them as some sort of comfort blanket. Either that or as a badge of honour 😀.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

Talksport is to Villa ,like The BBC is to Brexit.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Â