John McGinn

PompeyVillan

5 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I don't know why I'm entertaining this but hey ho: As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread it's very likely he didn't start since Smith is focusing on testing out new partnerships. Guilbert & Jota. Grealish & Lansbury. Mings & Engels. We already know Grealish and McGinn work well. It'd be a waste to throw them in together and Smith clearly wants to see how the new boys work around our number 10 which is why he got the nod over McGinn.

Exactly, I’m sure it’s just as simple and straightforward as that.

We’ll get a better idea of our first team when we play Leipzig.

Can’t understand the negativity when we should all be delighted & excited right now.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyAnty said:

Dont know, but there was a time in the second half last night where he won the ball in the Villa RB position and sprayed a pass over the head of about 3 players to the other side of the pitch to a Villa players feet.  Was amazing. 

what a let down. last season he was getting on the end of his own passes, he really has let things go to his head :P;)

I can’t believe what I’m reading! McGinn - our best player last season and people are questioning if he is in the starting 11.

I get we need to improve due to the step up but we also want to keep as much of the spine of the team together that got us up. For me Mings, McGinn and grealish are guaranteed to start until one of them have a bad game. The places are theirs to lose

Luiz has played as more of a conventional midfielder than he has as a DM, in fact last season at Girona he hardly played as a DM at all, they used him further forward. Although I suspect we've bought him to play as a deep lying play-maker, similar to how Smith used Woods at Brentford. It's good that he can play anywhere in midfield though, so should McGinn or Grealish get injured, we won't miss them as much as we otherwise would have done. Marvelous can also play as a box-to-box midfielder.

McGinn will start at Tottenham.

He's a warrior and doesn't know when he's beaten. He'll be chomping at the bit to get into training and show he's better than Luiz, Nakamba, Grealish, whoever. 

Even in a league game, I suspect most of our players wouldn't have done enough to win the ball, never mind showing the tenacity to  beat his man, stay up, then take it round the keeper.

He doesn't care if it's a play off final or a friendly in the dying minutes, he works his arse off. I love him. 

• Like 3

Â