John McGinn

PompeyVillan

14 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Unpopular yet irrelevant opinion of the day: I think McGinn has looked really poor in the last two friendlies

He actually had a few of these games last season, it’s just that they were overshadowed by how good he was at other times. There is also a hell of a lot of pressure on him this season. Last year he was unexpected, none of us knew him or what he would bring. This year he is one of the talisman of the team stepping up to the prem. Whilst we all love him, is technical ability isn’t always the best and he can hold onto the ball too much. There will be some games where he is just outclassed by better opposition, but I’m sure even in those games his drive and desire won’t make it easy for the opposition.

16 hours ago, PompeyVillan said:

I know this has Bin Dunn's in another thread but I cannot wait for the MOTD analysis of Super John.

Gary Lineker: A great result away at Old Trafford for Aston Villa, and they owe a huge amount to the performance of one man, don't they Alan?

Alan Shearer: Yes, they do. John McGinn. He was absolutely everywhere for Aston Villa. In his own box winning tackles, he didn't give Paul Pogba one moments rest in the middle and he pops up with the winner in the final third. A fine performance.

Jermaine Jenas: I have to say I watched him last season in the championship and he was excellent. The Villa fans were singing his name from the first minute and you can see why, he gives absolutely everything for the cause. 

Gary Lineker: Yes, a fine performance, talk us throughout the goal Alan. 

Alan Shearer: It all starts off with Mings, who nutmegs Marcus Rashford, and then plays the ball into midfield for Jack Grealish, who jinks one way and there the other. He just has a little look before he plays the ball through the defence. It's a fantastic ball, and who's on the end of it? John McGinn. He powers passed Axel Tuenzebe, who the Villa fans love by the way, and then NUTS! How do you like that then? Thank you very much. The Villa fans like that one. He puts it through DeGea's legs. 

Gary Lineker: The celebration wasn't bad either was it?

Alan Shearer: You wouldn't have caught me doing that, not in our day Gary. 

Jermaine Jenas: Meeeeeooooooooooooooowwww

Gary Lineker: Quite. The next two teams are meeting today for the 37th time at Anfield, your commentator? Joey Barton...

This is so on point, that I read it in their accents as well. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

He actually had a few of these games last season, it’s just that they were overshadowed by how good he was at other times. There is also a hell of a lot of pressure on him this season. Last year he was unexpected, none of us knew him or what he would bring. This year he is one of the talisman of the team stepping up to the prem. Whilst we all love him, is technical ability isn’t always the best and he can hold onto the ball too much. There will be some games where he is just outclassed by better opposition, but I’m sure even in those games his drive and desire won’t make it easy for the opposition.

It's games where he's tried to dial back the aggression that he's struggled more, pre season friendlies obviously aren't aggressive but even last season when he was on 9 yellow cards he went about 10 games without a booking and looked fairly average, eventually got booked, got his 2 game ban and came back absolutely balling.

He'll need to work on his yellow card count in the PL without losing the aggressive side that he has, as much as we all love him, if you're racking up 14 yellow cards in the championship for a team dominating the ball (and let's face it, it would have been 15 had he not been dropped as soon as he hit 14) it's not going to get any easier next season, going to get a lot of bad press if he's worrying about a 3 game ban come the end of next season like he was in last, and he's no good to us if he's always suspended 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

I wonder why he wasn't in the first XI yesterday. Any ideas?

Dont know, but there was a time in the second half last night where he won the ball in the Villa RB position and sprayed a pass over the head of about 3 players to the other side of the pitch to a Villa players feet.  Was amazing. 

There was a video of him going around on twitter, with him at some sort of restaurant, and the chef cut some meat up and then hand fed it to McGinn. Not sure what was going on but it looked like one of these places that's become popular amongst footballers and other celebrities because of some gimmick that's made it famous on social media, see 'salt bae'. It did make me think though...  Found the video...

13 minutes ago, useless said:

There was a video of him going around on twitter, with him at some sort of restaurant, and the chef cut some meat up and then hand fed it to McGinn. Not sure what was going on but it looked like one of these places that's become popular amongst footballers and other celebrities because of some gimmick that's made it famous on social media, see 'salt bae'. It did make me think though...  Found the video...

You're going to have to expand on this...

I can't see any issue with a footballer going to an Instagram friendly restaurant in their 2 weeks a year they get to act like the rest of us and have a pint or two!

• Like 1

It just seems like exactly the kind of thing that someone who is very impressionable would do. I'm not saying that that's the case of course, just that it made me think,

Edited by useless

Fair enough.I get what you're saying, but I think as fans we have a tendency to look way too much into every little thing. Pretty sure it's just a 24 year old guy using social media the same way as everyone else his age does.

I'm only 27 but I quite often feel like a miserable old bastard when I go out with friends as I just can't understand people taking pictures of their meals/location to upload to Instagram. Even worse is them then staring at the phone counting likes & comments for the next hour. Unfortunately it's incredibly common.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

It just seems like exactly the kind of thing that someone who thinks they're due a move to Man United or other similar club would do. I'm not saying that that's the case of course, just that it made me think,

I that was the case, he wouldn't even be at the ground, let alone come on as a sub.

What is with this Sketchy McGinn paranoia? It's pre season, DS is trying some other players out.

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I wonder why he wasn't in the first XI yesterday. Any ideas?

Hourihane and Lansbury likely won't be starting against Spurs. Think it was just Dean testing out a different pairing other than McGinn-Hourihane. 

I don't know why I'm entertaining this but hey ho: As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread it's very likely he didn't start since Smith is focusing on testing out new partnerships. Guilbert & Jota. Grealish & Lansbury. Mings & Engels. We already know Grealish and McGinn work well so it'd be a waste to throw them in together. Smith clearly wants to see how the new boys work around our number 10 which is why he got the nod over McGinn.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 2

Â