John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, KentVillan said:

I agree, and don't think we'll become a "selling club", but there's no way we can stop the elite clubs from being interested in our best players.

The price for players in the Prem has exploded though. I imagine before the season starts we'll be offering John a new 4 or 5 year deal on 40-70k a week.

Once he signs that his price is £50m, and it's already probably £40m.

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The price for players in the Prem has exploded though. I imagine before the season starts we'll be offering John a new 4 or 5 year deal on 40-70k a week.

Yeah of course. My point was after one season in the Prem, I wouldn't be surprised if he's seen as one of the best players outside the top 6, and worth well over £50m.

I think there's a bit of back and forth going on at the moment. No way Hourihane gets one before McGinn.

The Man Utd story, followed by a McGinn contract story in the sun stinks of his agent calling in favours to get more money.

I think he's holding on for a bit more dough myself. If he flies early in the PL he might even ask for me, if he struggles, he might sign one already sat waiting on the table for him.

On 12/07/2019 at 15:04, Tomaszk said:

There was a article with MAN UTD basically saying they were going to chase 50 million rated Mcginn. Now I suspect that wasn't us rating him that price but if it was true that it was actually man u rating him that price. 

9 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

There was a article with MAN UTD basically saying they were going to chase 50 million rated Mcginn. Now I suspect that wasn't us rating him that price but if it was true that it was actually man u rating him that price. 

Was it the Daily Mail or The Sun?

Our owners do not need money, they have stated that and even shown there hand in the amount of money that has been spent.

Anyone who thinks we will turn to a selling club after all that's been stated and all that's happened isn't paying attention properly.

When you have owners raking in mills per day and have over 9 billion between them, why on earth would they want to become a sell club?? Unless of course a player needs to be sold for lets say he's not enjoying it at Villa or a trade for the better and so on.

We had the chance to sell Grealish for money for FFP, yet we stuck it out and managed to keep the lad.

If anything our Owners are looking for ways to spend there money, they are bored with it no doubt, you would be with that much and that's there motivation, they want to win things and if it costs them an arm and a leg then so be it they are having fun.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest that Wes and Nas have made what money has been spent back already from there businesses. That 100 mil or whatever it is this window that has been spent on our recent signings and getting the team back up in numbers after letting go so many, has no doubt been fully replenished or nearly has again.

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was it the Daily Mail or The Sun?

Couldnt say it was a while ago after play off final mate.

On 16/07/2019 at 10:45, Tomaszk said:

I think there's a bit of back and forth going on at the moment. No way Hourihane gets one before McGinn.

The Man Utd story, followed by a McGinn contract story in the sun stinks of his agent calling in favours to get more money.

I think he's holding on for a bit more dough myself. If he flies early in the PL he might even ask for me, if he struggles, he might sign one already sat waiting on the table for him.

What you gonna do? 

10 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Unpopular yet irrelevant opinion of the day: I think McGinn has looked really poor in the last two friendlies

Agree. Not worried though, we know he is class. Just off the pace a bit in pre season. It will come.

2 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Agree. Not worried though, we know he is class. Just off the pace a bit in pre season. It will come.

Oh definitely. No concerns, just an observation. Can't wait to see him do his thing in the prem!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Unpopular yet irrelevant opinion of the day: I think McGinn has looked really poor in the last two friendlies

I actually agree.

He has "moments", but not enough of them. 

I think it all stems from him playing too far forwards, he's looking to get past the striker almost all the time.  That's fine, but then we're missing McGinn in the middle.  With all of his skill set, you want him receiving the ball, turning, and driving at the opponents.  That's where I see McGinn, not as a secondary striker.  Sure, do it on occasions, but I think he's just 10/20 yards too far in front of our other midfielders, which essentially means we're playing 2 in the middle.  

Drop a bit deeper and I think we'd see the best of him (again), he certainly hasn't gone anywhere, he just needs fine tuning. 

13 hours ago, TheMelvillan said:

Think he always will in friendlies, McGinns whole game is about aggression, winning the ball back, winning his midfield battle and driving forward, the first 2 you'll almost never see in pre season as it's not worth risking an injury and the last one comes with match fitness and sharpness, 2 things you don't really have until the end of pre season. I'm confident he'll be flying come the start of the season.

Also, pre season games and performances literally mean nothing, they are there solely to get players match sharp for the season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I actually agree.

He has "moments", but not enough of them. 

I think it all stems from him playing too far forwards, he's looking to get past the striker almost all the time.  That's fine, but then we're missing McGinn in the middle.  With all of his skill set, you want him receiving the ball, turning, and driving at the opponents.  That's where I see McGinn, not as a secondary striker.  Sure, do it on occasions, but I think he's just 10/20 yards too far in front of our other midfielders, which essentially means we're playing 2 in the middle.  

Drop a bit deeper and I think we'd see the best of him (again), he certainly hasn't gone anywhere, he just needs fine tuning. 

I think it all stems from these being pre-season friendlies, tbh. He might still be working his way up to full fitness after too many kebabs, or he might be trying out some new tactical ideas for linking up with Wesley and Jota. Who knows? I wouldn't worry about any of this at the moment.

Edit: and what @weedman said as well! No surprise that the very technical players like Jota, Grealish, Hourihane are looking tasty, while the more physical players like McGinn and Wesley are still working through the gears. Their natural game is better suited to a competitive match.

Edited by KentVillan
  • Like 1

Â