John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Alan Brazil ( Nuts) never says a good word about Villa.....Adrian Durham struggles to say anything decent about us....Jim White is not too bad.....don't think Goughy knows where we are.

back on Topic.....John McGinn is going nowhere.

Durham is the only pundit or whatever they are who actually knows what kind of player Grealish is. Other think he is a luctury player tbf his insight to villa is quite good  

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Alan Brazil ( Nuts) never says a good word about Villa.....Adrian Durham struggles to say anything decent about us....Jim White is not too bad.....don't think Goughy knows where we are.

I haven’t listened to talksport for a couple of year, but when I used to, Durham was normally pro Villa. He’d always say how badly we were run, but if we got good owners in then we’d be one of the biggest teams in England. 

——————

To keep on topic, it will be really interesting to see how McGinn steps up to the prem. He needs to keep up his enthusiasm, but kerb the niggly could and petulance. He picked up enough cards last season and I think prem refs will give out more. Whilst he was very good last season there were still times when he dwelt on the ball or didn’t make the pass. The premier league can be more punishing when you lose possession. However, I trust he’ll be busting his balls to improve with the step up. 

5 hours ago, terrytini said:

Wisest thing you’ve ever said 🙂

I chickened out...realised I was off topic and pushing my luck....you wouldn't have agreed anyway, so yes.

That John McGinn is a fine fellow.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PieFacE said:

lol

He’s got a wand of a left foot.  It’s probably even better than Hourihane but because he has so much more to his game the quality of his passing doesn’t get mentioned.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Now that Jedinak and Whelan have been released, and as Bjarnasson overall maybe hasn't been quite as good as he was for Iceland in Euro 2016, out of the players we have right now would McGinn be the best in the defensive midfield position (e.g. in a 4-1-4-1)? But then we'd have less of his great attacking. :s

1 hour ago, robby b said:

Now that Jedinak and Whelan have been released, and as Bjarnasson overall maybe hasn't been quite as good as he was for Iceland in Euro 2016, out of the players we have right now would McGinn be the best in the defensive midfield position (e.g. in a 4-1-4-1)? But then we'd have less of his great attacking. :s

Not sure. Those driving, all-action midfielders aren't always best at holding their position at DM. Could see him trying to do too much and messing up the shape. He'll probably become a useful DM later in his career, though.

• Like 3

On 04/07/2019 at 06:52, robby b said:

One of McGinn's greatest qualities is his tenacity and ability to press the opposition in to a mistake while the ball is still in our attacking territory.

So I don't believe we need him to sit deep in order to see the best of his defensive capabilities, I actually think they might be put to better use in a more forward thinking role.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

One of McGinn's greatest qualities is his tenacity and ability to press the opposition in to a mistake while the ball is still in our attacking territory.

So I don't believe we need him to sit deep in order to see the best of his defensive capabilities, I actually think they might be put to better use in a more forward thinking role.

Don't want him DM but he's forward enough. He's fine as he is. Hourihane is only useful as a final third player but don't particularly want him starting XI

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Don't want him DM but he's forward enough. He's fine as he is. Hourihane is only useful as a final third player but don't particularly want him starting XI

I agree, fine as is, when I said 'more forward thinking role' I meant as opposed to playing as a holding midfielder, just to clarify.

On 01/07/2019 at 14:14, TRO said:

I don’t know TRO.

i listen to talksport a lot, and Brazil has a lot of admiration for us.  Always talks about us winning the European cup, and when we were 30-1 to get promoted, he took that bet on, saying we looked really good and that our position wasn’t a reflection of how good we were.

Durham has also been very pro villa all season.  Don’t get to hear much of Jim White.

On 01/07/2019 at 18:54, VillaJ100 said:

Alan Brazil like who the F is that guy? Like 8th choice Scotland striker 40 years ago? 

There's a clear reason why Alan Brazil doesn't like the Villa - just look at who finished second behind the mighty claret and blues in 1981 :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If Mcginn can perform in the Premier League the way he did in the Championship there will be a ridiculous bid coming in for him next summer from Man City. He is a pretty unique player. 

There's some parallels to Delph in playing style, let's hope not in terms of which club he chooses to play for.

1 hour ago, Thug said:

I don’t know TRO.

i listen to talksport a lot, and Brazil has a lot of admiration for us.  Always talks about us winning the European cup, and when we were 30-1 to get promoted, he took that bet on, saying we looked really good and that our position wasn’t a reflection of how good we were.

Durham has also been very pro villa all season.  Don’t get to hear much of Jim White.

That is true, Brazil backed us to get promoted when we're in 13th iirc. I think sometimes we fall folly of hearing a pundit say something bad about us and think they hate us. 

I live in Oz so I don't hear everything everyone says, but I listen to a lot of Talksport and I like it.

The only person I can't stand is Jim White, there are others that I'm not fond of but he is the only one I switch off too.

4 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I agree, fine as is, when I said 'more forward thinking role' I meant as opposed to playing as a holding midfielder, just to clarify.

Watching his highlights majority are him dispossessing opposition ball carrier in the middle third, mostly in our half. I don't want to lose this important attribute and neither will Smith. He has energy and positioning to go on runs and recover back. He's fine as he has been played

Â