John McGinn

PompeyVillan

4 minutes ago, Hibby Villan said:

Reported as 10 to 15% in Hibs circles but who knows truly. 

First I've heard of it to be honest, Was thinking the worse circa 30/40% when I saw "Hefty"

Edited by Kingman

3 minutes ago, Kingman said:

First I've heard of it to be honest, Was thinking the worse circa 30/40% when I saw "Hefty"

Hefty for Hibs though if true and it came to pass!

There are many reasons for our downfall.

Not the least was the fact that we sold our best players, regularly.

If any Club thought McGinn, or say Grealish, was worth £40, £50, £80 million pounds, you can bet they’ll have done their homework ( same as everyone) and consider that’s what those players are worth.

Which means that’s what we would then need to spend to compete with those Clubs. 

So, if, IF ( I said IF !!!) the goal of the Owners is to compete right at the very top - to get up there, the idea of selling those players would be nonsensical.

Apart from anything else, at this early stage it says to your other star players, or those you wish to entice, that your top priority is money, rather than to Win.

So for me, it isn’t a question of worth, or what else we could buy, it’s a question of two things....what is the ambition, and what is the budget. 

If the ambition is aiming for top half finishes, and the budget is limited, ( as it probably is) then of course each player has his price....that’s obvious to everyone, simple.

But if their ambition is aiming right at the top ( as it probably isn’t, but could be) then it isn’t the case that every player has his price, simply because it’s a self defeating model.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

The reasons utd would be willing to pay big money for him is the same reasons villa want to keep him. You know that he is going to give everything in every game, make the right choices and pop up with moments of genius. A genuinely consistent 8/10 player who you would want to play with, rather than against, in every game. 

This is a very difficult player to replace at the first attempt in a very short turnaround so they are ready in time for the start of the season.

Further, staying in the premier League is worth more to villa than £50m

In summary, I couldn't see villa accepting this offer even if it were true and not some headline grabbing made up ballix

Agree.

21 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Yeah £5/7.5m not to be sniffed at at £50m

Aye, in Hibs circles that is a vast amount to boost our season.  Peanuts now for the Premier League and even the English Championship.

3 hours ago, Delphouneso said:

'£30m for Phillips? Who do they think they are? £20m for Webster? Are they having a laugh? Tinpot club.'

'£50m for McGinn? Not enough.'

You guys.

OR...

It's like different people have different opinions on a football forum, shocking I know...

• Like 1

McGinn is a vital part of our team, replacing him would be incredibly difficult even at that price and I do think he's gonna take to the PL like a duck to water. We need to strengthen the side not weaken it and our answer should be quite simply he is not for sale. 

• Like 3

Come on people, this is Alan Nixon talking clickbait bollox as per usual. The man is an utter utter grade A, full fat cocksocket.

Or to quote Richard Brunning: "a collosal fu*ktrumpet"

• Like 1

Saw a couple of villa fans suggesting if Pogba is worth £90m to utd then mcginn is worth more than £50m

That's way off being true and not reflective of how transfer fees are working right now

Mcginns a damn good player for us, a £50m player that will take utd back to the CL? Nope sorry not for me, if it's true and that kind of bid comes in I think we have to accept it and move on 

• Like 1

I love McGinn for all the same reasons you do and don't think he will be leaving just yet... But, without our biased claret and blue goggles on for a minute, what do we think is a fair assessment of his limitations?

Personally, I wonder about his speed. And some of those seemingly off balance shield/turns were genuinely thrilling when they came off against poor Championship opponents, but will he just get squashed in the Prem?

Edited by Lerner's Driver

4 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I love McGinn for all the same reasons you do and don't think he will be leaving just yet... But, without our biased claret and blue goggles on for a minute, what do we think is a fair assessment of his limitations?

Personally, I wonder about his speed. And some of those seemingly off balance shield/turns were genuinely thrilling when they came off against poor Championship opponents, but will he just get squashed in the Prem?

He strikes me as the type that would revel in jt, he’d go to another level I think

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I don’t believe the story. But if you think we wouldn’t sell McGinn if someone offered £50million for him then I think you’re dreaming. 

Jed Steer is worth 10mill as well 😁

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

There are many reasons for our downfall.

Not the least was the fact that we sold our best players, regularly.

If any Club thought McGinn, or say Grealish, was worth £40, £50, £80 million pounds, you can bet they’ll have done their homework ( same as everyone) and consider that’s what those players are worth.

Which means that’s what we would then need to spend to compete with those Clubs. 

So, if, IF ( I said IF !!!) the goal of the Owners is to compete right at the very top - to get up there, the idea of selling those players would be nonsensical.

Apart from anything else, at this early stage it says to your other star players, or those you wish to entice, that your top priority is money, rather than to Win.

So for me, it isn’t a question of worth, or what else we could buy, it’s a question of two things....what is the ambition, and what is the budget. 

If the ambition is aiming for top half finishes, and the budget is limited, ( as it probably is) then of course each player has his price....that’s obvious to everyone, simple.

But if their ambition is aiming right at the top ( as it probably isn’t, but could be) then it isn’t the case that every player has his price, simply because it’s a self defeating model.

I agree with the bulk of what you’ve said Terry. Whilst I believe every player has a price, I think the bigger picture is the message it sends out if we don’t keep our best players. This is particularly important for our owners, at this still very early stage of their ownership. 

The only bit I don’t necessarily agree with is the level of ambition of NSWE. Just going on what they’ve said and the early signs are also encouraging, I don’t believe they’re here to own a steady established PL club. They want us competing and winning things right at the very top. There are really no financial limits, other than not being recklessly stupid, which good businessmen rarely are, or ffp limits, which I believe they’ll try their very best to circumnavigate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lerner's Driver said:

I think his passing and decision making are issues plus his yellow card totals. Except for that he will be fine

• Like 1

I genuinely have no idea about the value of football players these days. A couple of years ago £50m bought you world class, now we are seeing championship center backs rated at £25/30m. 

At the end of the day the value of any asset is only determined by what the owner is willing to take for it. 

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think his passing and decision making are issues plus his yellow card totals. Except for that he will be fine

I agree, but at least those things can be improved on with time and coaching. The yellow cards are always tricky, because he’s not a nasty player, just aggressive and you don’t want to take that away. I’m sure we can get his card count down a little though. 

Â