John McGinn

PompeyVillan

5 hours ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Anyway, and I know this is a totally pointless question, but did anybody hear what Talksport had to say and was it worth it?

Yh I heard most of it.

Basically rumours are £50m for McGinn.  The had Georgie, and I believe Cascarino and some other guy.

Basically all three agreed that £50m would be a ludicrous fee, and not one of them thought that there was any truth to it.

Said he was ‘ok’, but not the kind of shop Man Utd should be shopping in.  To be fair, they put Wan-Bissaka in same kinda bracket.

Said McGinn type players are good targets for teams like Norwich who are trying to stay up, but Man U should be trying to get into champions league.

said something about Celtic weren’t willing to up their bid by a few hundred thousand, and that’s the only reason he joined us - but said it in a way that insinuated that they didn’t think he was worth it rather than how badly they **** up.

I think cascarino did point out that Robertson was effectively a championship player when Liverpool bought him... and look at him now.

in conclusion, 

They thought McGinn was an ‘ok’ player, who is never in a million years worth £50m

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

I disagree. 

Businessmen are in the business of making money, when they are in business.

Doesnt stop them having a hobby.

And I didn’t mention haemorrhage of money - there’s no reason why massive investment should involve that, if done well.

Edited by TRO

6 hours ago, TRO said:

Talksport is to Villa ,like The BBC is to Brexit.

I gotta say, I listen to Talksport all the time. Mainly the sports bar and extra time while I work (cannot stand Jim White). Maybe it's because I'm in Oz I don't know but I don't get all the hate for Talksport. They have a job to do (ratings), but I find lots of the shows excellent. 

6 hours ago, HolteExile said:

If that's the case, we'd probably be targeting better players than Kalvin Phillips and Adam Webster. 

Yes, our links so far have been pretty underwhelming that's for sure, and I feel we could have signed better than Targett for left back who seems to be an imminent arrival.

But then in interviews Purslow and Sawiris have said they want Villa to be competing at the highest level so I don't think they want us just to survive.

Don't want to big up Wolves too much as I don't like them, but their signings have been nothing short of spectacular the last two years. Those are the sort of signings that make you understand why they finished 7th last season and why they could easily break into the top six in the next couple of years. Unless we start making those kinds of ambitious moves ourselves, I really don't see how we'll do anything more than struggle next season, but of course we could go out next month and sign three genuine superstars for the positions we need.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

To be a "Man. City" we need to start becoming more aggressive in our transfer dealings imo, maybe it's a year too early but when you look at Man. City's rise within a year they were coming to us and signing Gareth Barry. They also signed Lescott from Everton who was key defender from them. Then the next summer they signed Milner from us, Yaya Toure from Barca and David Silva from Valencia who'd just won the World cup. Then in 2011 Kun Aguero etc.

So every summer there was progression in terms of level of player signed. At no point did Man. City just decided to sign half the championship team of the year.

Have to say I've been a little bemused by our links so far but maybe I'm thinking too far ahead as prime objective is to stay up of course.

However to establish ourselves in top 4 you need a much more top level transfer approach, something we never had at time of spending huge amounts in the Lerner era. Carew was only real example of going to top european club and signing regular CL player and that seemed to be by accident.

We actually did it more in the later Ellis years, signing Laursen, Bouma and Baros all regular internationals and CL players.

In two years time I wonder if we'll be at a level say to sign a Ruben Neves if he's still at Wolves or a Sigurdsson at Everton, maybe we've already missed the boat on those.

City were basically bought late-August 2008 and at that time were a midtable Prem side. So it was a slightly different situation as we're just up from the Championship. But that Robinho signing was massive for them. Even though he was never that good for them, that signing showed they could attract the best players and helped them build a side the following summer.

In 2009, they got Barry from us but also signed Tevez, Adebayor, Kolo Toure and Lescott. They finished 5th. Then in 2010 as you say their signings went up a notch and they signed Yaya Toure and David Silva, unbelievable signings at the time. They finished 3rd but won the FA Cup. In 2011 they signed one of the best strikers in the world in Aguero then won the league that season. Their rise was pretty spectacular but right from the start of their ownership they showed massive ambition and moved for some of the best players in England and Europe. Their ambition was matched by action.

I would like to see us show the levels of ambition the club have spoken about turned into action. We're being linked at the moment with predominantly Championship players. One or two incomings from that league is absolutely fine if they make the step up, but five or six signings from there for me would be bad news and we'd struggle next season. It's excited some of us fans because we were in such a difficult place this time last year, but we do need to see some proven quality come in. Hopefully July sees us linked with some new players from overseas, hopefully a few stellar names, and if we can attract two or three big signings to the club we might see us compete well next season. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Yes, our links so far have been pretty underwhelming that's for sure, and I feel we could have signed better than Targett for left back who seems to be an imminent arrival.

But then in interviews Purslow and Sawiris have said they want Villa to be competing at the highest level so I don't think they want us just to survive.

Don't want to big up Wolves too much as I don't like them, but their signings have been nothing short of spectacular the last two years. Those are the sort of signings that make you understand why they finished 7th last season and why they could easily break into the top six in the next couple of years. Unless we start making those kinds of ambitious moves ourselves, I really don't see how we'll do anything more than struggle next season, but of course we could go out next month and sign three genuine superstars for the positions we need.

Wolves are a pretty unique scenario with their agent-owner set up.

Most teams will need to attract players with solid evidence that they can compete.  To attract the right type of player with the right type of attitude in any case - you can always attract a washed out mercenary if you throw enough money at them..

I love DS, but he’s not exactly going to have the same kind of  pull as manager with worldwide fame - that will come in time as his reputation grows.

Right now, many a potential signing will believe that there is every chance we might go straight down.  

Our initial priority has to be to build a solid, if not spectacular squad that can gel, and be good enough to avoid relegation.

The superstars will come in due course (and even better if they are unearthed from within the squad)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

Apparently a New 5yr deal is on the table! 

2 days after a fictitious link to another club??

I am gobsmacked...

**** agents and the rags, ruining football, he's 1 year in to a 4 year (or 5?) deal and probably had a promotion pay rise written in to his contract too

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

2 days after a fictitious link to another club??

I am gobsmacked...

**** agents and the rags, ruining football, he's 1 year in to a 4 year (or 5?) deal and probably had a promotion pay rise written in to his contract too

Yeah signed 4yr deal last year so still got 3yrs to run on existing contract 

16 hours ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I gotta say, I listen to Talksport all the time. Mainly the sports bar and extra time while I work (cannot stand Jim White). Maybe it's because I'm in Oz I don't know but I don't get all the hate for Talksport. They have a job to do (ratings), but I find lots of the shows excellent. 

Alan Brazil ( Nuts) never says a good word about Villa.....Adrian Durham struggles to say anything decent about us....Jim White is not too bad.....don't think Goughy knows where we are.

back on Topic.....John McGinn is going nowhere.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Alan Brazil ( Nuts) never says a good word about Villa.....Adrian Durham struggles to say anything decent about us....Jim White is not too bad.....don't think Goughy knows where we are.

back on Topic.....John McGinn is going nowhere.

I'm guessing it just depends when you listen. Everyone knows that TalkSport like to piss off everyone at some point, to encourage phonecalls.

I heard Brazil talking us up a fair few times last season, because he had a bet on us to get promoted back in Feb/March. Durham too has talked us up previously when we had a decent amount of British players (Westwood etc).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

Alan Brazil ( Nuts) never says a good word about Villa.

VERY bitter over title in 81. Always moans "beat them four times that year", brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â