John McGinn

PompeyVillan

This does feel like a fake story because SJM has not yet played in the prem, and for him to go to Man U for that sort of fee I can't think of any precedent that matches the fee and lack of prem experience. I imagine he might be on their radar though, possibly one they're watching, but he represents a huge risk for OGS this window, so all in all it just dosen't add up.

27 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

How long has it taken to find a McGinn, someone with that workrate, attitude & ability? He pretty much single handedly was the turning point of our dark era of paying ridiculous money to parasites with no return. I wouldnt sell for any figure, he is exactly what we want our club to be about moving forward. 

......if he can do it in the premier league.

Not saying he cant but we dont know if he can step up to the next level.  I'm really hoping he can but I can also imagine in 12 months time where he isnt getting a game and 50m (or more like (30m) wouldve been a steal from Man Utd.  

I would choose to keep him obviously but everybody is assuming he's going to be as influential in the premier league as he was in the championship......it's a massive step up in quality and hopefully he can but so many players down the years havent.

The reasons utd would be willing to pay big money for him is the same reasons villa want to keep him. You know that he is going to give everything in every game, make the right choices and pop up with moments of genius. A genuinely consistent 8/10 player who you would want to play with, rather than against, in every game. 

This is a very difficult player to replace at the first attempt in a very short turnaround so they are ready in time for the start of the season.

Further, staying in the premier League is worth more to villa than £50m

In summary, I couldn't see villa accepting this offer even if it were true and not some headline grabbing made up ballix

• Like 1

Guy who wrote it in the Scottish Sun.......say no more.........is an idiot and before SJM went to you from us he assured everybody and especially Celtic that the deal was 100% done and dusted for his move to Parkhead. Up here we take whatever he says with a massive pinch of salt ......and a bottle of buckie 😀

As much as Hibs would like it to be true ( sell on clause would give us vital money) I believe it to be sensationalist clap trap.

SJM is unproven in the Premier League so I think he should stay at AVFC for another season so we can all see how he copes against some of the top players in the World. On the same thought clubs such as MUFC will then have time to see his development and then come in with 50 million if that is his fee.  

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

As much as Hibs would like it to be true ( sell on clause would give us vital money)

Watchya talking about Willis? 

2 minutes ago, Hibby Villan said:

Hi all

don't think there is any substance to this story - just the Scottish Sun making up headlines. As good as it would be for Hibs with a hefty sell on clause, it does seem implausible.

I met John McGinn at Paul Hanlon's testimonial dinner last Sunday and he was certainly happy to be at Villa, looking forward to testing himself in the PL and was delighted to have retained the admiration and love of all Hibs fans, many of whom now follow Villa regularly. He was equally delighted to be your player of the year and gave absolutely no signals he was going to be anywhere other than Villa. It is no surprise that he is being linked with moves but Villa fans shouldn't worry as it won't be him making the noise. 

What's this hefty sell on clause?

1 hour ago, Delphinho123 said:

50m for McGinn. Hmmm.

Let’s pretend that’s true for a minute. Is it worth entertaining? That gets you Phillips and Benrahma. You could then spend another 30m on his replacement..

I love McGinn and wouldn’t want to see him sold but everyone has their price. 

Only if you need the money.

Â