Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

Good positioning all game really last night. And a really assured calm catch during the barrage of corners we went through late second half. He looks a lot more confident. I'm still not sure he's the answer to our keeping woes but he's acquitted himself well in his appearances this season so far.

Obviously helped a bit by having a defence in front of him that is a lot more settled and, well, better. I still have some concerns about his kicking (summed up when he slammed one into the stands second half from nothing) and I do think he probably doesn't have Heaton's ability to pull a wonder save out of the bag - Maddison's shot looked destined for the corner and was thankfully blocked, because Nyland wasn't getting near it, but I feel Heaton might have at least got closer to it. But for the less flashy stuff, he's looked reassuringly solid.

Good man.

Absolutely brilliant again last night, my MOTM.

I think he's now nailed on to be our No.1 going forward. If Kalinic leaves we may need a reserve keeper along with Sarkic, but there's certainly no need to go splashing silly money or wages on a first team keeper.

Nyland looks like a different player, full of confidence in the area which was his biggest weakness before. His shot stopping is also superb.

The only thing that confuses me, I seem to remember his distribution being really good last season but it's been no where near as good as I remember?! Still, a minor point to improve on.

10 hours ago, Ghost said:

Absolutely spot on!

Also when Cutler came in last season and was giving his first interview to the club, he spoke a lot about the mental side of the game and helping players with that - I'm sure he's definitely helped Nyland in that regard too.

I was going to say something similar.  While he was off injured he seems to have improved the more mental aspects of his game. 

• Like 2

Nyland has done a Hutton in turning a lot of fans around. Genuinely didnt see it coming, thought he played his last game for the club before season started

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

He had to be in the right place at the right time and get all his angles right and come forwards quickly to ensure every save became something he was expected to save surely?

When I say being expected to save them, I include the positioning too. As in, he was expected to position himself in such a way that he was also expected to save the shot. 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

I think your point of view is rather harsh, @Laughable Chimp, though you are not alone in holding it. A striker who buries every chance he is "expected" to is called clinical or lethal. A goalkeeper who makes every save he is "expected" to rarely gets the same plaudits. Seems a tad unfair. I thought Nyland was superb from beginning to end.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Tbf, I think Nyland was expected to save every shot Leicester had this game aside from the goal he conceded. Sure there were a lot of them, but he was basically favorite for each one of them. There wasn't any kind of super saves he made this match. 

Name checks out

24 minutes ago, Five Ken McNaughts said:

I think your point of view is rather harsh, @Laughable Chimp, though you are not alone in holding it. A striker who buries every chance he is "expected" to is called clinical or lethal. A goalkeeper who makes every save he is "expected" to rarely gets the same plaudits. Seems a tad unfair. I thought Nyland was superb from beginning to end.

I guess, but I think that's partly due to the expectations of strikers are kind of weird. Most chances strikers are "expected" to score from are not actually chances that I would genuinely expect them to score from. And my definition of expected being at least a 50% chance of them scoring it. Strikers tend to miss a fair few of those types of chances, so when a striker actually scores consistently from them, they get labelled as "clinical". 

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Deserves to keep his place in the team. Think it sends out the wrong message if we bring in a keeper to replace him given his last 3 performances. 
His biggest weakness was collecting crosses, now he looks far more assured.

If we’re shipping Kallinic out this month then it makes sense to bring another keeper in on a short term loan given Steer’s injury record but for me Nyland should be ahead of any newcomer.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2020 at 12:28, Zatman said:

Nyland has done a Hutton in turning a lot of fans around. Genuinely didnt see it coming, thought he played his last game for the club before season started

Thankfully it didn’t take the 8 years it took Hutton to do it

On 09/01/2020 at 16:15, wilko154 said:

Absolutely brilliant again last night, my MOTM.

I think he's now nailed on to be our No.1 going forward. If Kalinic leaves we may need a reserve keeper along with Sarkic, but there's certainly no need to go splashing silly money or wages on a first team keeper.

Nyland looks like a different player, full of confidence in the area which was his biggest weakness before. His shot stopping is also superb.

The only thing that confuses me, I seem to remember his distribution being really good last season but it's been no where near as good as I remember?! Still, a minor point to improve on.

Nah!! Very good but lets see three good performances on the trot please Nyland. 

Â