Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

18 minutes ago, Fairy In Boots said:

He started to turn it around last year before his bad injury. People forget his first games in this country were in front of Steve Bruce’s 1 defender 

So you’re saying he just needed to be closer to his goal? ;)

Edited by Adam2003

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think he will grab this opportunity and make the number 1 shirt his own. 

I hope he does, as others have pointed out his throwing is a major attribute, looks to release the ball early which is a big benefit to us. 

9 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I net he is shocked that he is going to get his chance.

How often do your first AND second choice keepers get crocked for long periods at the same time......

And that’s after having a shocking start to his villa career and then a terrible injury before being replaced by a new 7m keeper. It seemed he would never play for Villa again. 

Alan Hutton is no longer with us and his prophecy of scoring in the playoff final turned out to be a false one. 

Nyland to keep us is in the Premier League is the true prophecy!! 

Honestly one of the worst keepers I've seen play for us last season, he was shocking in almost all departments apart from penalties. 

He looks more solid at some of the basics in his limited games this season, such as claiming crosses and commanding his area, but this is a limited sample size. He hasn't had many shots against him. Last season shots were going through him, conceding pathetic goals left right and centre, people want to blame the defence but a number of those goals were from distance. The home game against Forrest last season ranks up there as one of the most pathetic displays I've seen from a keeper.

Sorry but I just don't trust him at all. We're a side that gives the opposition a lot of shots on goal, as the stats prove, I fully expect him to be routinely letting in soft goals. Hope I'm wrong of course but last season was just so poor that one good catch against Burnley isn't enough to sway my opinion.

on albeit brief viewings so far, he appears to have improved. He's had plenty of time to settle into the area over the past twelve months since recovering from his injury, and working with the coaches. Assuming Steer's injury isn't keeping him out for too long I don't think we need to go keeper shopping. The whole point of having back ups and alternates is for this reason, for them to play when the first choice is out, otherwise what's the point?

Usually on VT when Villa players don't play they get better.  Clearly not the case with Nyland.

We have the Fulham game at least to see how he performs. Unless we get a very good loan in/ kalinic goes for a fee I cant see us spending big on a keeper.

Got to give him a chance, I feel he has improved in the little I've seen of him recently.

• Like 1

I actually think Nyland could be a good keeper for us this season.

His confidence seems to have grown, working with Cutler and Heaton will have made him a better keeper. He also now has Mings in front of him to organise the defence. The way he took the ball in the last minute of the Burnley game was immense, if he can do that on a consistent basis then its a marked improvement; the fans reacted like we had scored a goal.

The big plus with Nyland is his distribution is exceptional, it could be a real bonus in a Dean Smith team.

44 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Honestly one of the worst keepers I've seen play for us last season, he was shocking in almost all departments apart from penalties. 

He looks more solid at some of the basics in his limited games this season, such as claiming crosses and commanding his area, but this is a limited sample size. He hasn't had many shots against him. Last season shots were going through him, conceding pathetic goals left right and centre, people want to blame the defence but a number of those goals were from distance. The home game against Forrest last season ranks up there as one of the most pathetic displays I've seen from a keeper.

Sorry but I just don't trust him at all. We're a side that gives the opposition a lot of shots on goal, as the stats prove, I fully expect him to be routinely letting in soft goals. Hope I'm wrong of course but last season was just so poor that one good catch against Burnley isn't enough to sway my opinion.

Statistically, apparently Heaton was one of the worst in the league.

On the plus side for Nyland, has had his “tough patch” of being poor in a new team and also recovered from a serious injury. He’ll be well up for this and determined to prove himself. Fingers crossed he does it...

2 hours ago, Eastie said:

Ok as 2nd choice but wouldn’t want to rely on him as first option - think we need to loan a keeper in 

Problem with that is he's currently third choice. Presumably if we got yet another keeper in who got injured, you wouldn't want Nyland playing then either, in which case there's no point having him in the squad.

Gregg Evans saying that Smith and Cutler believe Nyland can step up to be the no.1 keeper. While he's looked like he's improved this season, I still worry about his disaster show from last year. 

At least our distribution from the back will be pretty good. 

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

And that’s after having a shocking start to his villa career and then a terrible injury before being replaced by a new 7m keeper. It seemed he would never play for Villa again. 

Alan Hutton is no longer with us and his prophecy of scoring in the playoff final turned out to be a false one. 

Nyland to keep us is in the Premier League is the true prophecy!! 

The prophecy of Alan Hutton channelling Messi and skinning an entire team before scoring did come true though, so anything is possible. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, blunther said:

Problem with that is he's currently third choice. Presumably if we got yet another keeper in who got injured, you wouldn't want Nyland playing then either, in which case there's no point having him in the squad.

He’s third choice because he was a disaster. He was bought in as first choice and say what you want about Bruce, he is pretty good in the transfer market so must have saw something in the lad.  I think he can step up. 

I think Nyland has shown more than enough in his limited game time this season to persuade Smith that he deserves a chance. As many people have pointed out, whats the point of having a squad if you don't utilise it in situations like this. I agree he was terrible last season, but let's not forget that he was thrust in to a side in complete disarray, and spent the majority of his time behind an injured Chester and a 34 year old midfielder at centre back. There was no confidence anywhere in our back 5 and he was always on to a hiding.

Also when Cutler came in last season there was a noticeable improvement in Nyland, especially in the last two or three games before his injury, when he was making penalty saves and asking serious questions about why Kalinic was coming in. I think now he's fully recovered, settled in, has worked with Cutler for over a year, and will be playing behind the likes of Mings, he could prove a reliable option, at least until Steer is back.

Even if Nyland does blow this opportunity, we've got an entire month to look for another keeper, there are more pressing concerns right now, such as the striker situation.

Edited by RichiBoi11

Â