Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

Base don how shit scared everyone (Myself included) have been having him in goal, was expecting him to score a hatrick of own goals. lol

Jokes aside, he actually did ok.

Especially based on the abuse he has received, and it being his first game back.

• Like 1

I have to say, hand on heart, he's the worst keeper I've ever seen play for us in my years watching Villa and that has included some shockers like Enckleman. Nyland has let in more soft and stupid goals than I've ever seen, for that reason he has a a hell of a lot to do.

However he looked like a different keeper yesterday. At the end of the day he was barely tested in terms of making saves but he looked far more composed and solid at the basics, fair play but Steer has to be ahead of him when fit as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 2

He did look a bit scared, probably anticipating the comments on here if he had a shocker..............but did OK not really tested and not at fault for the goals. Could probably do with a run of games to build his confidence up but hopefully Heaton will be back after the break.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I have to say, hand on heart, he's the worst keeper I've ever seen play for us in my years watching Villa and that has included some shockers like Enckleman. Nyland has let in more soft and stupid goals than I've ever seen, for that reason he has a a hell of a lot to do.

However he looked like a different keeper yesterday. At the end of the day he was barely tested in terms of making saves but he looked far more composed and solid at the basics, fair play but Steer has to be ahead of him when fit as far as I'm concerned.

I don't disagree with any of that tbf. 

I do wonder though if finding himself at number 3 has somehow helped him a little bit, in that it has taken a bit of pressure of him. 

Many of his howlers were down to stupid decisions, he looked calmer on Sunday. 

One performance isn't going to change my opinion if him, but maybe there is a bit of hope after all.  

On 11/11/2019 at 10:45, villalad21 said:

He never really played in a settled defense, kinda feel bad for him because the style of keeper he is i highly prefer over the Heaton style of keepers.

I think that is a fair point.

On 11/11/2019 at 19:53, Keener window-cleaner said:

Boy was I scared seeing him coming on, but fair to him he had a good game, can't fault him for the goals, quite good kicking with both feet. And he didn't have that frightend face that he usually has!

You can’t fault him but I think Heaton would have saved both goals. I think people underestimate just how much of a good shot stopper Heaton is. He would have already anticipated where those shots were going and positioned his body for it.

On 14/11/2019 at 13:35, Vive_La_Villa said:

You can’t fault him but I think Heaton would have saved both goals. I think people underestimate just how much of a good shot stopper Heaton is. He would have already anticipated where those shots were going and positioned his body for it.

I don't think so

On 14/11/2019 at 14:35, Vive_La_Villa said:

Not a chance, 1st especially, perfectly placed sweet as a nut bending away from the keeper, not a keeper in the world saving that, easy goal for wolves 

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Not a chance, 1st especially, perfectly placed sweet as a nut bending away from the keeper, not a keeper in the world saving that, easy goal for wolves 

Nyland actually got his fingertips to it, not that hard to imagine a keeper with better positioning and shot stopping ability to save it. It would've been an incredible looking save, but not impossible.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Nyland actually got his fingertips to it, not that hard to imagine a keeper with better positioning and shot stopping ability to save it. It would've been an incredible looking save, but not impossible.

I remember Heaton doing it against Spurs. Save he had no right to make.

As soon as it was laid off it was like slow motion. Only one place he was going to put it with how his body was shaped. If it was top corner it couldn’t be saved but it wasn’t. 

Fwiw I’m not blaming Nyland for a second. Just think a top keeper could have saved it.  Which is why they are top keepers.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Â