Ørjan Nyland

Jareth

Nyland's ability with the ball at his feet makes you realise just how bad Heaton is at passing a football.

I know a keeper's first job is to keep the ball out of the net, and I would obviously pick Heaton ahead of Nyland. But long term it would be great if we could find a keeper who can do both.

I don't want a keeper who does Cruyff turns and scorpion kicks - just one who can see a winger in space and ping it to him, instead of drilling it into touch. Nyland has that, Heaton doesn't.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

Nyland's ability with the ball at his feet makes you realise just how bad Heaton is at passing a football.

I know a keeper's first job is to keep the ball out of the net, and I would obviously pick Heaton ahead of Nyland. But long term it would be great if we could find a keeper who can do both.

I don't want a keeper who does Cruyff turns and scorpion kicks - just one who can see a winger in space and ping it to him, instead of drilling it into touch. Nyland has that, Heaton doesn't.

Nyland's distribution and decision making was excellent against Liverpool's youth.

Gave us an edge and incisiveness that allowed others to continue on down the pitch in the same manner, which we often did.

Knew when, where and how he should release the ball, never allowed Liverpool a chance to set themselves, unless that was beneficial for us.

It's great having players with quality distribution skills and awareness of how to use them, gets the team on the front foot and into positions we want to occupy.

Nyland played like a confident professional and executed with composure, there was no way Liverpool were going to force errors that far up the pitch at his expense.

Kudos to him, it's nice to know we have a backup to Heaton that can put in that sort of shift.

• Like 2

I guess it makes it easier for Orjan when he isn't playing with Jedinak and Hutton in the back 4.

Been good this season. His distribution skills makes me tempted to have him as our 2nd choice ahead of Steer.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

I was pointing this out, and argued that our results suffered as a consequence of his injury when we were in the championship. 

Happy to have him as our second keeper. If he manages to become better in the box, braver with better decision-making we'll have a very decent keeper at our hands. 

4 minutes ago, Skruff said:

I was pointing this out, and argued that our results suffered as a consequence of his injury when we were in the championship. 

Happy to have him as our second keeper. If he manages to become better in the box, braver with better decision-making we'll have a very decent keeper at our hands. 

Problem with Orjan for me is consistency. Had some good games last season but then there was the Forest game...

They had 5 shots all game and all went in.

His saves were brilliant and he looked good on crosses too. Mostly, his kicking was brilliant and his long-range passes finding their targets but, there a few occasions where he misplaced or miss-kicked the ball and it either fell to a Liverpool player or narrowly missed one. 

Overall, I thought he looked a major improvement on what we saw of him prior to his injury. Maybe working with Neil Cutler has helped him to improve and he will eventually be number one again. 

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I guess it makes it easier for Orjan when he isn't playing with Jedinak and Hutton in the back 4.

I think people overlook this when considering his contribution when he first came to the club. 

Easily number 2 imo. 

5 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Been good this season. His distribution skills makes me tempted to have him as our 2nd choice ahead of Steer.

You seem to change your mind like the wind I'm sure early season you were saying Steer deserved to be ahead of Heaton based on his performance last season.

2 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

You seem to change your mind like the wind I'm sure early season you were saying Steer deserved to be ahead of Heaton based on his performance last season.

I don't care about the past. Orjan has looked better than Steer this season and i cannot ignore that fact.

I don't base my opinions on past seasons.

• 2 weeks later...
Â