New Manager Speculation

maqroll

31 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re right character is a hard thing to judge from a distance, and is often only revealed under difficult circumstances. There’s no doubt that whoever we get, there will be set backs at times and character will be tested. But none of know really what sort of characters the potential candidates really have. 

Has Nuno had his character tested?......for just one game by us, maybe.

He was too busy preparing for winning football, to be worried about that.

We need smart thinkers.....who make the job easy for themselves, as opposed to a laboured  mundane approach.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TRO said:

I don't......its all a gamble.

but would we get the Dean smith of Brentford.....as opposed to Dean Smith the individual that comes without all the support of Brentford.

I just wonder whether its him or the infrastructure that delivers their attacking threat?

personally, i would favour Chris Wilder out of the 2.

And i agree but consider this. Brentford went away to Leeds today. Leeds are very good at home ( Birmingham game aside ) and usually dominate teams. Game finished a draw, Brentford should of won imo. Smith dropped mceachran and mccleod, both played very well recently in both home games, both good ball players who like to get it down and pass it but tackling and ball winning would be weak. Brought in mokojto and yennaris today because he knew Leeds at home would be tough. Mokojto broke up everything, won MOM. I watched it. Saiz and klich totally nullified. Didn't get a kick. Now their next home game mceachran will probably be brought back in depending who they are playing as they usually dominate teams at home. But that's great coaching.  So I'll give you that they have a staff of about 150 in the background and he is well supported but that today and how he set his team up to mug us at Griffin park last December wasn't down to the data analytics guy in the office. Not having that. No.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

And i agree but consider this. Brentford went away to Leeds today. Leeds are very good at home ( Birmingham game aside ) and usually dominate teams. Game finished a draw, Brentford should of won imo. Smith dropped mceachran and mccleod, both played very well recently in both home games, both good ball players who like to get it down and pass it but tackling and ball winning would be weak. Brought in mokojto and yennaris today because he knew Leeds at home would be tough. Mokojto broke up everything, won MOM. I watched it. Saiz and klich totally nullified. Didn't get a kick. Now their next home game mceachran will probably be brought back in depending who they are playing as they usually dominate teams at home. But that's great coaching.  So I'll give you that they have a staff of about 150 in the background and he is well supported but that today and how he set his team up to mug us at Griffin park last December wasn't down to the data analytics guy in the office. Not having that. No.

Hey, he might do a good job with us......its all speculative.....but your points are valid.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Lack of confidence does weird things to people.

Only Grealish and unfortunately Hutton ever really want the ball in our team. If we can get some wins together, as if by magic everyone will start wanting the ball and this lopsided squad will pull teams all over the place. Not sure how many we'll keep out like, but we can score 3+ a game in this league.

I don't go with this notion, that, the defence is poor we will just out score them.

I don't think football is quite like that ,I think it is all inter dependant.

Teams win games.

if the defence is poor, the team will reflect that.

• Like 1

7 Championship titles, 7 fa cups, European championships - and now we are trying to emulate Brentford who drew 1-1 away with leads today - .and currently have a whopping 3pt lead over us.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, hippo said:

7 Championship titles, 7 fa cups, European championships - and now we are trying to emulate Brentford who drew 1-1 away with leads today - .......

This in its entirety! We are Aston Villa. If we do not think big as supporters then we may as well give up. This is a big job requiring a big personality. We need confidence, experience, proven ability and big big balls. I am sick of being afraid of every team we play. Let’s show them that we are AVFC and they are not in our league. That starts with getting your attitude right and that stems from the manager. Brendon all day long. He would transform this club and I am sure he would come. Go get him board 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

Yes .... It's about time Villa made a common sense appointment.

But many are turning their noses up at managers who were recently managing our national side or the biggest side in the world.

We’re in the bottom half of the 2nd division.

Brendan Rodgers is not as great as some believe. Celtic are in a slight mess this season. Have continually been terrible in Europe, the only truly competitive games they play. Also he inherited a very good Swansea team and fair enough did well with them but didn’t build them from scratch by any means. At Livepool he did well at the start, almost won the league, but again they weren’t in great shape when he left. 

We need a manager who’s not tainted by bad spells at other club. A man who’s stock is rising and can bring in up to date ideas. The problem with the vastly experienced managers is a lot of them struggle to keep up with the latest tactics and coaching methods. And those that do are way above our level right now. 

Now every option is a risk because Lambert was meant to be a manager who was a rising star and he turned out to be out of his depth but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and go for that type of manager, albeit one that’s a genuine talent, again. 

Someone like Wilder would be a good choice and there are plenty on the continent we could go for too. But I really want us to go for Dean Smith. Being a fan of the club means so much. Look at the impact that Big Ron, Little and Gregory had when they first came in. It would mean so much to him to turn it around. Added to that he might turn out to be a more talented coach than those guys too. 

• Like 2

So Brentford went away to Leeds to play a team who’ve been playing a fast paced passing and possession game and he deployed an industrious defensive midfielder to help break up the play!?

Wow! I literally can’t get my hat on; I’m truly blown away by that tactical masterclass. 

That kind of genius, outside the box thinking, that not many other managers would have possibly thought of is exactly what we need at this football club. 

5 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

So Brentford went away to Leeds to play a team who’ve been playing a fast paced passing and possession game and he deployed an industrious defensive midfielder to help break up the play!?

Wow! I literally can’t get my hat on; I’m truly blown away by that tactical masterclass. 

That kind of genius, outside the box thinking, that not many other managers would have possibly thought of is exactly what we need at this football club. 

Probably in the " i want henry because he was a great player " camp i take it.

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I understand that opinion, but Pepe Guardiola first job as manager/coach of a first team was Barcelona. He was Barcelona B team coach before that. Obviously they knew a lot about him and so the risk was lowered, but he was still a newbie. For the record I haven’t got a clue and I’m glad it’s not my decision!

Thats one. Bet i can name more that didnt work out!

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Does no one have any itk for me to cling onto over night?

Couple of people claiming to have heard from separate sources in the club that Henry is going to BMH Monday to sign a 4 year deal. 

Sweet dreams. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, philthevillan said:

Brendan Rodgers is not as great as some believe. Celtic are in a slight mess this season. Have continually been terrible in Europe, the only truly competitive games they play. Also he inherited a very good Swansea team and fair enough did well with them but didn’t build them from scratch by any means. At Livepool he did well at the start, almost won the league, but again they weren’t in great shape when he left. 

We need a manager who’s not tainted by bad spells at other club. A man who’s stock is rising and can bring in up to date ideas. The problem with the vastly experienced managers is a lot of them struggle to keep up with the latest tactics and coaching methods. And those that do are way above our level right now. 

Now every option is a risk because Lambert was meant to be a manager who was a rising star and he turned out to be out of his depth but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try and go for that type of manager, albeit one that’s a genuine talent, again. 

Someone like Wilder would be a good choice and there are plenty on the continent we could go for too. But I really want us to go for Dean Smith. Being a fan of the club means so much. Look at the impact that Big Ron, Little and Gregory had when they first came in. It would mean so much to him to turn it around. Added to that he might turn out to be a more talented coach than those guys too. 

Don’t want Rodgers but do want Smith or Wilder.............ha ha ha ha. Rodgers not good enough for nearly winning the premier league with Liverpool and winning everything with Celtic. Two of the biggest clubs in the world. 

I think he is also younger than both of those two. He has a pretty good record everywhere but one club! Most importantly of all he has real presence. The other two have never had to deal with big personalities. Rodgers had Sterling, Sturidge and Suarez eating out of his hand.

Just remind me what Smith and Wilder have done in the game? Actually no need. I already know the answer! 

1 hour ago, hippo said:

7 Championship titles, 7 fa cups, European championships - and now we are trying to emulate Brentford who drew 1-1 away with leads today - .and currently have a whopping 3pt lead over us.

If only we got league points for trophy wins from several decades ago.

• Haha 1