New Manager Speculation

maqroll

44 minutes ago, TRO said:

Whoever the new manager is......we are more of a mess than i first thought.....He is in for a tough baptism.

John terry was always going to be missed.....but we allowed him to be our life support machine......that was criminal neglect.

was we so surprised john would leave after 12 months?,that should have been planned for.

if ever a club had a more ironic motto, i am yet to hear it.

We really do have to get this appointment right.

Exactly what I eluded to Tro in a previous post/another topic. Should be backup after backup after backup plans for all the players. Injuries/suspensions/being sold. Even now we should be looking for who will replace Jack as an example. 

If this next appointment doesn't work we'll be down in this league for many more years I fear. On the other side we get the right guy and I feel we can be up the top of this league with the players we have right now. Plus some CB's!.

• Like 2

We, as fans, really do have to show some patience towards the new manager, whoever it is. Let's face it, Bruce has really screwed us over by leaving that defence so poorly undermanned and, together with that goalkeeper situation, the new man has a lot on his plate to start off with. 

It's likely we'll be way off the play-offs by the time the new manager can do anything in the transfer window, if he can do anything at all. It may well be a case of writing this season off and hoping some kind of financial miracle happens to avoid ffp punishment in order for us to really go for it next season. 

• Like 1

Jesus Garcia Pitarch would not be a good appointment as Sporting Director.

He doesn't have the ability to influence the footballing style & culture he is an old fashioned sporting director that looks for deals.

Himself and Mendes have a long running relationship which is why he is a favourite for this job.

If he does get hired it will confirm a few things for me;

- Mendes has a huge influence on this club. I'm worried because he is assisting Forest and Wolves in transfers also.

- Edens wants Villa to be run like an NBA franchise with the sporting director essentially being the GM  and looking for deals.

- Owners are relying on head coach/ manager to build the football culture oppose to a technical director laying down a blueprint.

A lot will be uncovered in the next few days.

48 minutes ago, TRO said:

Whoever the new manager is......we are more of a mess than i first thought.....He is in for a tough baptism.

John terry was always going to be missed.....but we allowed him to be our life support machine......that was criminal neglect.

was we so surprised john would leave after 12 months?,that should have been planned for.

if ever a club had a more ironic motto, i am yet to hear it.

We really do have to get this appointment right.

We could have signed Collins and Huth for the same amount of money we are paying Bolasie. Signing Bolasie instead and giving him 70k per week was ridiculous. That’s what condemned Bruce. I still to this day don’t understand losing Terry Samba and Elphick and getting no replacements at all. People reckon Tuanzebe is a centre half but he is crap, he is also a crap right back. Our squad consists of 4 right backs, 1 centre back and 1 left back.  Whoever takes this job is **** until January. I still can’t believe we didn’t get rid of Grealish either. Getting 20-25 million for him would have been daylight robbery.

• Like 1

"Henry believes the Villa job is his if he wants it? " I would want to be sure our choice wanted the job and would take it before we offered it to him. We don't want another Solskjaer situation where other candidates know they weren't our first choice.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Me too. 

Theyre both totally different though. In that one is a proven, relatively experienced “older” head. 

The other is a completely unproven, young, gamble. 

Rodgers probably the more sensible choice, but I can’t help but be excited by Henry. Based on absolutely nothing. 

Throw in Arteta and that would be an exciting top three.

On Henry -he sounds good, he looks good, he’s a massive name in football. Any footballer would surely love the idea of going to training and being instructed by Thierry ****ing Henry. 

These are the things I’m excited about and yet they’re also the things I’m worried about.

I try and picture us with a charming, successful manager and I just can’t do it. If he went to another club I’d cast an envious glance and say “bastards, at least they’re giving him a go.” But because of the years of ineptitude, it feels like it can only go one way. And that’s down to Villa, not Henry.

Yes, Rodgers is the sensible choice, I think him joining us would excite me in a different way as it would suggest that in order to jump ship he believes in whatever project the owners have for the club.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

And Henry wouldn't because he's played with some of the best players in the world, won the world cup. Yawn. Bruce won medals as a player. Lots of them. Your opinion might be right but it's based on zero fact really.

I'm not a big fan of Henry either actually.

If there is any truth to this evenings rumors that Rodgers would come here he should seriously be our number one target.

Would anyone want to be the owners at this moment ? We have a squad that are hugely underperforming as individuals and as a team. The managerial options available have never managed before but were good players, are reasonably experienced with some success but belong to other clubs, are old dinosaurs like Steve Bruce, wouldn’t be interested in a club in the second tier of English football or want to risk a club with a fan base that believe they are a world class club that ‘should be in the premier league because we are Aston Villa’  I don’t envy them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smg said:

Would anyone want to be the owners at this moment ? We have a squad that are hugely underperforming as individuals and as a team. The managerial options available have never managed before but were good players, are reasonably experienced with some success but belong to other clubs, are old dinosaurs like Steve Bruce, wouldn’t be interested in a club in the second tier of English football or want to risk a club with a fan base that believe they are a world class club that ‘should be in the premier league because we are Aston Villa’  I don’t envy them.

Yes, they’re billionaires. Whatever they do, I will probably always envy them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Reading in the mirror by Neil moxley that it's Henry's if he wants it but he wants complete control over transfers. That would be a firm no for me if that's true.

That could work providing our DoF suggets and clears everything - all based on the managers say so.

This is why I think someone like Wenger would suit that role superbly (If Henry was manager). - What we don't need is players being signed that the manager doesn't want/need. Afterall, we've been there already.