New Manager Speculation

maqroll

42 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

And Henry wouldn't because he's played with some of the best players in the world, won the world cup. Yawn. Bruce won medals as a player. Lots of them. Your opinion might be right but it's based on zero fact really.

There is very little fact to help us.

its all a gamble.....its just a matter of opinion, which gamble of route to take.

but pursuing the experience route has equally landed us up a cul-de-sac.

Edited by TRO

15 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

How do you know what sort of character Dean Smith is? 

I don't......its all a gamble.

but would we get the Dean smith of Brentford.....as opposed to Dean Smith the individual that comes without all the support of Brentford.

I just wonder whether its him or the infrastructure that delivers their attacking threat?

personally, i would favour Chris Wilder out of the 2.

Edited by TRO

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

And Henry wouldn't because he's played with some of the best players in the world, won the world cup. Yawn. Bruce won medals as a player. Lots of them. Your opinion might be right but it's based on zero fact really.

You’re right character is a hard thing to judge from a distance, and is often only revealed under difficult circumstances. There’s no doubt that whoever we get, there will be set backs at times and character will be tested. But none of know really what sort of characters the potential candidates really have. 

We dont need a manager to piccolo'd of older players either. We need more saxy football - so we can all trumpet how good we are.

Edited by SirSteveUK
  • Haha 1

Rafa finds his team 2-0 up at Old Trafford with a swashbuckling performance, should have been 3 or 4 really. 

Spends the second half in full defensive mode no attacking intent now lost 3-2.

Was very reminiscent of watching us. 

Just now, sidcow said:

Rafa finds his team 2-0 up at Old Trafford with a swashbuckling performance, should have been 3 or 4 really. 

What the f***...

That is suprising.

7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

This is a good point.

However its still not a job for a newbie! 

I understand that opinion, but Pepe Guardiola first job as manager/coach of a first team was Barcelona. He was Barcelona B team coach before that. Obviously they knew a lot about him and so the risk was lowered, but he was still a newbie. For the record I haven’t got a clue and I’m glad it’s not my decision!

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

On the other side Man Utd’s performance was also very similar to watching us. Play rubbish for half a game, players out of position and no shape, but the superior quality of players manage to drag them through despite, not because of the manager. 

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

This is a good point.

However its still not a job for a newbie! 

But we are in a strange situation really.

All the guys at the top of betting (Henry,Terry, Faria) have absolutely no experience in managing a football club.

If we go down the experienced route a lot of the guys we could attract many wouldn't want (Pardew, Sam, Moyes etc). 

Those that we would want (Howe, Houghton, Benitez etc), are maybe unlikely. 

It's a really tricky appointment. Smith for me has a bit of both, experienced enough to not be classed as a newbie, but youthful enough to be considered as a promising    (relatively) young manager. 

He also comes with 2 big plus points:

i) He tries to play in a manner that we haven't seen at VP for a number of years.

ii) He's a Villa fan. 

I think those two points mean he would be afforded alot of goodwill and time to implement his idea's. 

Ofcourse it could be too big for him, but unless we sign a superstar like Benitez that's going to be the case with anyone. 

I certainly don't see how anyone could view him as any bigger a risk than those around him at the top of the betting markets. 

2 minutes ago, SirSteveUK said:

I was in favour of Rui Faria - now I dont mind him or Henry.  Henry's take on the way Barca were coached to play under Pep was impressive.

17yrs under Jose and we want attacking football! 

:trollface: