New Manager Speculation

maqroll

8 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Hypothetically, would you rather Remi Garde or Eddie Howe?

Roberto Di Matteo or Sean Dyche?

For me I'd take the two English managers there over those two foreign managers any day of the week.

Just because someone is foreign, it doesn't mean they are going to better. That's just absurd.

I probably should've rephrased that old school style English manager eg. Bruce. I would like someone with fresh ideas and both Howe and Dyche could provide that. 

One thing's for certain, I won't be taking any notice of the usual pundits opinions on who Villa should appoint.

The media have shown themselves up as ill informed and lazy when discussing Bruce's dismissal and replacement.

How many pundits have used the expression "there or thereabouts" and "he just needed time" when eulogising Bruce? Sound bite journalism at it's worst!

So when the media do their charts of favourites, I will give their opinions the respect they deserve .... little or none!

When they include all the members of the "revolving door old British manager's compensation club" they lose even more credibility!

One article by a London blogger suggested that "Dr Tony" will have a hard job finding another "Steve Bruce" to get us promoted, another 'journalist' said that the man we need to get us out of this division is another "Steve Bruce"..... "four promotions don't you know".

Fonseca is a sexy name but he isn't a good fit for a team currently constrained by FFP and in transition. He's currently on an extended contract and top wage with the bonus of Champion's League matches thrown in.

Henry and Terry might be excellent appointments .... but they could also bomb due to having the theory without the experience to back it up.

Rafa and Purslow despise each other.

Brendan Rodgers would be excellent appointment both now and in the future (with the right financial inducements and framework in place), but would he walk out on his contract after just two months of the season?

That leaves Dean Smith and Chris Wilder. I like the footballing philosophy of both men and feel either would be a big improvement on SB. They are both suited to this year's edition of 'Championship' football, and could offer a short term solution to getting up into the automatic promotion places. Smith has the edge on Wilder for me, as Wilder is 'Sheffield' through and through and has a personal project going on there.

Summing up .... My choice would be Rodgers if we're lucky, or Smith (if Rodger's isn't interested).

Dean Smith and his two coaches would be a big improvement on SB and his band of yesterday's men.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Why should I be grossly embarrassed about posting that I don't believe we will be signing a current Champions League manager?

I'd love it happen but I, like many others, just don't think it's realistic. Is that a problem?

A post like yours needs a bit of explaining.

It’s called optimism.  You may be right that we can’t attract a manager of certain status.  I, because I want to be optimistic, not because I have any personal animosity, hope that you are proven to be very, very wrong.  Just light banter is all.  No need to worry about subtle or hidden meanings.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

One thing's for certain, I won't be taking any notice of the usual pundits opinions on who Villa should appoint.

The media have shown themselves up as ill informed and lazy when discussing Bruce's dismissal and replacement.

How many pundits have used the expression "there or thereabouts" and "he just needed time" when eulogising Bruce? Sound bite journalism at it's worst!

So when the media do their charts of favourites, I will give their opinions the respect they deserve .... little or none!

When they include all the members of the "revolving door old British manager's compensation club" they lose even more credibility!

One article by a London blogger suggested that "Dr Tony" will have a hard job finding another "Steve Bruce" to get us promoted, another 'journalist' said that the man we need to get us out of this division is another "Steve Bruce"..... "four promotions don't you know".

Fonseca is a sexy name but he isn't a good fit for a team currently constrained by FFP and in transition. He's currently on an extended contract and top wage with the bonus of Champion's League matches thrown in.

Henry and Terry might be excellent appointments .... but they could also bomb due to having the theory without the experience to back it up.

Rafa and Purslow despise each other.

Brendan Rodgers would be excellent appointment both now and in the future (with the right financial inducements and framework in place), but would he walk out on his contract after just two months of the season?

That leaves Dean Smith and Chris Wilder. I like the footballing philosophy of both men and feel either would be a big improvement on SB. They are both suited to this year's edition of 'Championship' football, and could offer a short term solution to getting up into the automatic promotion places. Smith has the edge on Wilder for me, as Wilder is 'Sheffield' through and through and has a personal project going on there.

Summing up .... My choice would be Rodgers if we're lucky, or Smith (if Rodger's isn't interested).

Dean Smith and his two coaches would be a big improvement on SB and his band of yesterday's men.

I think Smith brings Richard O'Kelley with him but Thomas Frank ? No. He'll likely take over as manager if we get Smith.

14 minutes ago, momo said:

It's not like any of these are proven better than Bruce. Rodgers is not my cup of tea.

I suppose it depends on how you define proven better.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

God I hope not

As much as I love Villa I would actually take it to save the rest of the world. Can’t be any worse than some of the managers we’ve had and it would be really funny in a less apocalyptic way. 

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

IT won't be Smith.

Based on what i've read they are keen on a High Profile appointment,

That could mean anything though ......Henry, Terry would be considered high profile.   Would Cavallho ? 

5 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

beginning a search?!

Sorry but if the owners and board havent already been planning for succession these last few months then it is bordering on negligent. Risk management principles mean they should have been very aware of this eventuality and the ways to mediate it i.e a priority list of who could take over

3 minutes ago, newhavenhibby said:

Blimey I thought Rodgers was a bad shout but the "Breadman" and his magic wand Warburton.......NO WAY.

As an outsider looking in, what sort of person do you think we should go for? 

Edited by KH**

4 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

beginning a search?!

Sorry but if the owners and board havent already been planning for succession these last few months then it is bordering on negligent. Risk management principles mean they should have been very aware of this eventuality and the ways to mediate it i.e a priority list of who could take over

I think you are putting too much emphasis on the quoted tweets being anything other than somewhere between guesswork and stating the bleeding obvious.

• Like 1

Someone with good experience in the Championship or higher  who has a genuine passion for the game and the Club he is in charge of.

We have had a few left field appointments who have proved to be excellent, eg Mowbray, Stubbs  but this is a different League / pressure and I don't think you can beat that experience.

Edited by newhavenhibby